Concerns about Shenmue HD.

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Concerns about Shenmue HD.

Postby Ingenting » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:43 am

I can't believe nobody has noticed and pointed out that the whole opening cut-scene from Shenmue 1 on the HD collection trailer totally lacks the bluish fog effect from the original version and looks completely bare :???:

I know it's still in development though

*edit Sorry, I see now it has been mentioned in a different topic.
Ingenting
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby returnedfate » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:48 pm

life_247 wrote:
redline wrote: does anyone know if SHD will have motion blur during fighting game play, like shenmue 2-xbox?

Now the dev team have confirmed its a Shenmue II X-Box port I would expect so. They may do some work on some of the effects etc. but thus far it looks like a pretty direct port.

That is VERY concerning if they decide not to remove the awful motion blur. Everyone will complain.
returnedfate
Banned
Banned

Postby Reprise » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:10 pm

Hopefully they remove it. It looked AWFUL. From what I gather, it was removed when played on the 360, although that wasn't intentional...

Really, it should be an option in the options menu and then everyone will be happy.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Ingenting wrote: I can't believe nobody has noticed and pointed out that the whole opening cut-scene from Shenmue 1 on the HD collection trailer totally lacks the bluish fog effect from the original version and looks completely bare :???:

I know it's still in development though

*edit Sorry, I see now it has been mentioned in a different topic.

Yeah i noticed this too. TBF I liked that blue-ish effect a lot in terms of what it did for unifying/blending the textures together, but then I look at these new screenshots without the effect and also think that they're nice and vibrant :-k
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby punkmanced » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:22 pm

Preserving the "exact" look and feel of the originals is primordial in this case.

More important than the time skips and all that other bullshit.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Haruto » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:09 am

If there is no bloom then I am happy. Bloom ruined the Xbox port for me. Strain on the eyes.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Esppiral » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:57 pm

Haruto wrote:Bloom when applied correctly can make things look less flatter.
Bloom when applied correctly can make things look less flatter.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby johnvivant » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:29 pm

bloom at night was very effective, but during the day not so much. it softened the image too much imo.
i hope they give us the option to turn it on or off depending on our own preference. the same with the motion blur during fights, give us the option to turn off.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Haruto » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:58 pm

Esppiral wrote:
Haruto wrote:Bloom when applied correctly can make things look less flatter.
Bloom when applied correctly can make things look less flatter.

I hate bloom period. It's like someone smeared something on the screen making it blurry. I prefer the crisp clean look.

Haruto has received a thanks from: Mr357
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:58 pm

I really hope that there visual settings on PC for things like boom, AA and ambient occlusion, but I seriously doubt that there will be.

There is a kind of languid, romantic feel of the bloom at night with neon. I can almost see myself back in the early 2000's, playing with the window open next to my TV and stack of Dreamcast games with a cool breeze coming in during the summer time. But still I don't want it in Shenmue HD if it can't be turned off.
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:10 pm

I can see Bloom being a toggle option even on console like motion blur or chromatic aberration is for some games. Hopefully it will.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby Jibby » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:14 am

Even if there's not a toggle in game, I can see there being a .ini tweak to reduce/disable it.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Haruto » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:31 am

That the Passport won't be included.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:08 pm

Jibby wrote: Even if there's not a toggle in game, I can see there being a .ini tweak to reduce/disable it.

100% agreed. If MS managed to disable motion blur with the Xbox 360 emulator running the game off a disc in real-time: D3T should be able to do that and more with the source code at hand.

I have no doubts these will eventually be the definitive versions of the games, but I do think people noticing things now and (kindly) commenting on it is a useful aid to development (especially that they're a full-on company equipped to manage, outsource or handle such things with higher-ups such things versus a crowd-sourced funded team).

Things like the implementation of motion blur and Spanish subs (if not for when the discs are in production then maybe a day1 patch/post launch depending on when it releases?) I'm sure the preorder numbers and the volume of tweets at them are reinforcing the importance of these features in the game.

I was just reading some scepticism a few had about Shenmue's rerelease because of Burnout: Paradise Remaster's (D3T's last project) rough launch. In this case I suspect they started development on that one not long ago and they had a relatively short amount of time to do it but either way: EA are committed to continually fixing the game with them until all the issues have been resolved.
Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlagshipFighter has received 2 thanks from: Jibby, punkmanced
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby BlueMue » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:39 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:If MS managed to disable motion blur with the Xbox 360 emulator running the game off a disc in real-time: D3T should be able to do that and more with the source code at hand.

Sorry to disappoint but it was not the work of MS that disabled the effect, it was the lack thereof.
The sole reason why the blur, the bloom and the shadows are gone is that the emulation was quick and dirty.

We have to wait and see what d3t are shooting for. Putting stuff from the Xbox version into Shenmue II can be positive. High quality Ryo for sure and I do like the improved shadows. They make some of the areas a bit dark at times but the whole thing looks more dynamic and it fixes one of the silly looking moments in the DC version, where Ryo's shadow is carrying ghost books. I don't need the bloom like it was on the Xbox and really don't want to see the motion blur ever again.

One thing that concerns me deep inside, but only personaly, is when they market Shenmue II to be representing the Dreamcast when it doesn't really do that in all honesty.

BlueMue has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Reprise
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release