Shenmue 1 & 2 game developers

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Shenmue 1 & 2 game developers

Postby TheThreeevils » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:58 pm

Haven't seen this mentioned much yet so figured id post here. D3T's the company porting the games from their original code. Seems to be a small company based in the UK. If you look into their history, one of their bigger/most relevant accomplishments seems to be an award they won for helping port The Witcher 3 to ps4.

If you look at this opportunity from their perspective, this seems to be a pretty big deal for them as a company. Depending on the quality they deliver on this project, this could potentially set them up as a possible runner up or direct competitor to BluePoint. They seem thrilled to have this opportunity and have repeatedly mentioned on facebook the possibility of having developers diaries if there's enough interest. Instead of speculating about potential shortcomings, id love if we could come together and support these guys as much as possible. They're just people, and support goes a long way. Here's a link to their Facebook page. Cheers.

https://m.facebook.com/d3tLtd/

TheThreeevils has received 4 thanks from: Reprise, shredingskin, Spaghetti, Yokosuka
TheThreeevils
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: TheThreeevils
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue 1 & 2 game developers

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:04 pm

They mentioned on Twitter to Peter they may do developer diaries, if they have the time. They've also been responding to fans all day today on social media. Really great they're embracing our community with open arms.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:16 am

I've been following the studio for almost a year now and I fell in love with them, so much so, that I wish I had some sort of talent or skills to have a career in game development because I would happily relocate and apply for a post at their company.
The biggest compliment i can give them is their treatment of staff. Every month they have various team building exercises, as well as awards for individual staff members hitting various milestones, such as time spent with the studio, achieving new qualifications and positions etc. Honestly it looks like a fun place to work, but at the same time, extremely professional. As the OP said, they were involved with The Witcher 3 and we all know of the success of that game, but they are also involved in a lot of other great pieces of work, as well as having a good relationship with Sega from their Mega Drive collections.

It's also interesting to note they are a Keywords company, who own Lakysha Digital, who are involved with the development of Shenmue 3. Any sort of cross development between the two certainly wouldn't be too difficult to achieve. But yea, I've had good vibes from them from when I first heard of them, and outside of the major players such as Bluepoint, I couldn't be happier Shenmue HD is in their hands.

Peter has received 6 thanks from: Amir, johnvivant, myshtuff, Reprise, Sappharad, Supa
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kirino_Matsuyama » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:49 am

I hadn't heard much about them either, but now I'm even more excited ^-^
Kirino_Matsuyama

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Didn’t D3T handle some of this collection? I’m a little worried. Seems like porting some Genesis games should be an easier task than porting Shenmue 1 & 2.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sega-f ... ion.46302/
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:01 am

Don't smash the panic button just yet.

The games in the collection aren't ports, they're using an emulator wrapper. Going by D3T saying they were asked to just add new features and do the shovel work to get them onto console/update the PC version, it's fairly likely they're using the same emulator SEGA have been using since last gen too (which was criticised for imperfections even back then).

In the ERA thread linked you'll find speculation Unity not playing nice with the emulator may be the issue here, actually. SEGA Forever suffered a lot of the same issues, and that was pinned on Unity.

At the end of the day, this was just a cheap and cheerful compilation collection. D3T weren't asked to write a new emulator, or port these games from source. They still deserve trust with Shenmue considering neither of the factors likely at fault here (Unity, emulation) are going to be involved in the release of I & II.

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: James Brown, Let's Get Sweaty, south carmain
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:08 pm

their gameography seems pretty solid overall https://d3tltd.com/gameography/
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Haruto » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:52 pm

I got the Genesis collection on PS4. it's a damn mess. Sound is off. Online is a clusterfuck. Serious input lag. Sound is really crunchy. The games hitch. Really off the mark. Sorry but these guys did a horrendous job with this port. Now I'm worried.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Spaghetti wrote:Don't smash the panic button just yet.

The games in the collection aren't ports, they're using an emulator wrapper. Going by D3T saying they were asked to just add new features and do the shovel work to get them onto console/update the PC version, it's fairly likely they're using the same emulator SEGA have been using since last gen too (which was criticised for imperfections even back then).

In the ERA thread linked you'll find speculation Unity not playing nice with the emulator may be the issue here, actually. SEGA Forever suffered a lot of the same issues, and that was pinned on Unity.

At the end of the day, this was just a cheap and cheerful compilation collection. D3T weren't asked to write a new emulator, or port these games from source. They still deserve trust with Shenmue considering neither of the factors likely at fault here (Unity, emulation) are going to be involved in the release of I & II.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby James Brown » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:23 pm

I got the Mega Drive Collection and not too sure what the fuss is all about, I played through Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Flicky completely fine. I was actually shocked to see people shitting on it. i think Spag hit the nail on the head with it just being a cheap and cheerful collection, it's a way for people to see some of the classics they may not have grown up on nearly 30 years ago. I will say that the online was glitchy, but too be fair these games were never intended to be played online, and i'm sure now that people have tested the servers and the games...someone will push out an update to make things run a bit smoother or something. As a collection of 50 classic games though, I think it does exactly what it says on the tin...I feel like people just want 4K graphics out of 16 bit games...
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:58 pm

From what I can tell, D3T was responsible for the online play. That appears the be the biggest issue for most people. That’s based on their recent Tweet. It seems maybe several developers worked on the collection.

https://twitter.com/d3tltd/status/10017 ... 25760?s=21
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:00 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: From what I can tell, D3T was responsible for the online play. That appears the be the biggest issue for most people. That’s based on their recent Tweet. It seems maybe several developers worked on the collection.

https://twitter.com/d3tltd/status/10017 ... 25760?s=21

Is that the biggest issue for most people? Anecdotally I've seen more complaints about performance hitches - which has all but been explained by Unity and the emulator not working well together. It's a repeat of SEGA Forever for the most part, which from what we know D3T had nothing to do with.

In the case of the online I don't know enough about the specific complaints to know if it's just dodgy net code, or server-side problems (which would be SEGA's issue, I believe), but I'd still appeal for calm given how vastly different this product is from Shenmue I & II.

In absolute fairness D3T has gone quite far in terms of additional features to something that otherwise could have just been slapped on a disk and called a day, in an absolute bare bones state like when SEGA launched the collection this release is based on back in 2010(?) on PC. Even if they didn't stick the landing for one reason or another, it's not for a lack of effort.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Haruto » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:29 pm

One of the online problems is player 1 can rewind. Player 2 cannot. Player 1 online can rewind or cheat.. So characters disappear and reappear on different sides of the screen. It's a built in cheat but should not be there when online as it's allowing people to cheat.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:43 am

Not really worth taking a "the sky is falling!" attitude though is it?

To be clear I'm not accusing anybody of doing that in this thread. So far it's been pretty sensible.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:28 am

Can we all agree though that Shenmue's famed multiplayer mode is doomed?

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Supa
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Next

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release