"5% of what he knows" says Adam Koralik?

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: "5% of what he knows" says Adam Koralik?

Postby ShenmueForeseen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:00 pm

Yokosuka wrote: The game is a remake.

Yay let's spend more than the S3 budget on remaking S1 & 2...

Hope you're joking.
ShenmueForeseen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:31 pm

I think he's now updated that number to "10%" during the recent live stream (which makes sense because we're aware of a few more things since he mentioned 5%) but I wonder how much pertain to the game's features/content and how much is just general info (like release/marketing plans etc).

I mean, I'm not going in expecting the Saturn version/materials as an unlockable or anything as that'd be insanity, but i do wonder about passport, extras, behind the scenes, leaderboards for minigames etc. I hope this'll be as jam-packed of a release as possible! :-)
Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Valascaziel » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:45 pm

I just...I said it in a previous post--

I really don't know what is so..secretive about this remaster that is, by all accounts, almost 3/4 of the way complete, that necessitates an NDA.

The save transfer has never been outright denied, just that there are "no plans currently". That could be something that is in it and they are currently working on it--however, confirming such a thing would also
(possibly) inadvertently confirm an Xbox One version of S3 will appear someday, which Sony may not like to take away from their promotional marketing deal.

Another may be they are re-securing the licenses for Coke, etc and can't publicly confirm that yet.

Leaderboards, Passport, etc. are all very nice but not NDA material to me. I guess they COULD be in order to announce later to draw more publicity..

Are they redoing textures, skybox, etc.? Is it getting an extensive remaster(not Kiwami style, but more FFX HD) and we've only seen "early screens" like with S3? Unlikely, but a fun thought. Uncompressed audio? Possibly.

The D3t employee here thought 4k on Pro wouldn't before the game, but I disagree. 4K/HDR would be amazing with Shenmues vibrancy, especially with II.

Time will tell, but I don't expect them(or him) to reveal anything til May or E3.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Centrale » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Valascaziel wrote: I really don't know what is so..secretive about this remaster that is, by all accounts, almost 3/4 of the way complete, that necessitates an NDA.

It might not be anything earth-shattering. It's simply that they have a marketing campaign planned that involves releasing little tidbits here and there every week or every month or whatever the interval actually is. If they release all information at once then there's no way to keep building excitement and interest all the way up to launch.

Edit: And bear in mind that Adam Koralik has a vested interest in continuing to attract viewers... I'm not trying to say this like it's a bad thing. It's simply part of promoting his own channel... stay tuned here for more Shenmue information, basically.
Last edited by Centrale on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Tosh » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:52 pm

i think the whole 5 / 10% thing is a bit misleading. he is not allowed to say anything about features
or performance and so on. and Sega themself is also dodging every question with answers like
"the gameplay is in 16:9".
we dont even have all the answers to the basic questions,
so i dont see how there could be like 90% of surprises or whatever. that would be mindblowing.

i think in the end 70 or 80% of the things they cant talk about right now will just be answers like
"no the collection does not run in 60 fps, no the cutscenes in 1 are not in 16:9,
no there is no 4K option on consoles ..." with maybe 1-2 nice surprises and thats it.

i'm very careful about this topic because it sounds a bit fishy to me.
it sounds like there is still so much stuff to discover and i think its possible
that people will get way too hyped because of that.

right now everything that i expect is nothing more than a 1080p/30 fps port with some small tweaks.
(which would be fine for me)

Tosh has received a thanks from: dietsoap
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby MechaWumpa » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:13 am

He's not telling us about a demo for a new JSR game that's on it. lmao
MechaWumpa
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: RandomDudeXIII
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Persona 5

Postby grandO-da-1 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:44 pm

I just revived a 10 year old account (one of them) to call it first:

From what I've seen of Adam's Videos he doesn't tend to exaggerate too much. If there was something like a real time conversion to old graphics or anything like most of remakes do, he wouldn't have called the 5%. He's excited. That brings me to one conclusion: Chapter 2. Fully playable. Mic drop.

Also, I read over some old posts. What a hopeless shit hole this place once was.
grandO-da-1
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Jibby » Thu May 03, 2018 10:52 pm

grandO-da-1 wrote: Chapter 2. Fully playable. Mic drop.

Not a chance.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:43 am

Wasn't there other stuff in the boat chapter that happened that would affect the rest of the game? I remember seeing a storyboard and I think once they took that chapter out they had to rework the rest of Shenmue 2 slightly. I guess they could just change chapter 2 to fit, but that's so unlikely.
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri May 04, 2018 12:46 pm

haha that'd be interesting (regarding chapter 2) I hope though we see those xbox comics of chapter 2 (as well as the others) featured somewhere as an unlockable or within some extra features menu. Maybe they'll be higher res scans.

Going back on Koralik: someone replied to dreamcastguy i think about how he didn't want to play 1&2 because it wasn't a full-on modern remake from the ground-up that catered towards gamers like him (fair enough, I respect his opinion) and DCG responded with comments about modern controls, 1080p etc etc.

Then it struck me when Koralik replied to that saying something along the lines of "Wish I could say more :P".

I'm trying to think of what it could logistically be. I don't think it'd be anything to modify the original games (outside of some filters as the bare minimum) especially at the price point they're selling at.Definitely not some texture makeover like Monkey Island or a remake alongside the remaster liek Halo MCC.

And it got me thinking: has anyone seen those PS4 ports of Kingdom Hearts 2.8 (i think that's was called)? Basically it had this prologue to KH3 thing, it was apparently a short vertical slice with it's own story and character but all done in a modern fashion that took 2-3hrs iirc at max to complete.

Maybe, just maybe something like that is being worked on? This small thing that's meant to be a selling point towards gamer's like the one who responded above in mind? SEGA has several teams in JPN that are well capable of that, maybe it could be a small preliminary project for some junior designers/programmers who aren't busy working on Shin Yakuza + Unannounced New IP from RGG studios and they're incredibly efficient (they would likely reuse some things to quickly setup a solid foundation). To give you some context: these dudes can produce entire games within 6-8months max.

If the ex-employees of sega-europe are to be believed: There's been a bunch of time that shenmue 1&2 code has been laid dormant as they originally planned to announce this much much earlier but then Shen3 happened and plans changed.

Maybe this vertical slice could be a side story thing approved by Suzuki-san? Or some non-canon crossover that's meant to be a very brief affair to help bring in fans of different franchises/sega in general/newcomers and to plaster it all over marketing? SEGA are actually doing this right now with playable Majima in kiwami 2, even though his playable section is like 40-50mins. They also did a bitesized 'experience' (think What's Shenmue) for Kiwami 1's release by having this 30-40min playable prologue to Yakuza 6 that didn't exist anywhere else.

I'm just saying, don't want to get hopes up if any of this sounded cool but out of all the things I can think of: there's some sense to that if there's meaning to be found in Koralik's tweet. He also mentioned something along the lines of "cameos/references" iirc? (that wasn't his exact wording).

I know it sounds super weird, but what else could he have meant that would make sense?
Food for thought man, food for thought...

P.S. I'd say maybe it could've been a shenmue 3 demo but obviously that kcikstarter $100 demo/trial/beta is coming at some point and likely not to be featured in something like this (that pertains to a strictly different project run by a different publisher)

#SaveShenmueSaturn :p

Sorry for the wall of text again
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri May 04, 2018 12:57 pm

I hate to say it, but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I think he just threw 5% out there, not really thinking about what effect that would have on this community. D3T doesn't seem like a company that produces any new content, so I don't know how any of those ideas would play into this re-release. The budget price also leads me to believe we're not getting many extra frills and chills.

mjq jazz bar has received 5 thanks from: dietsoap, FlagshipFighter, Henry Spencer, OL, Reprise
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri May 04, 2018 1:09 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: I hate to say it, but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I think he just threw 5% out there, not really thinking about what effect that would have on this community. D3T doesn't seem like a company that produces any new content, so I don't know how any of those ideas would play into this re-release. The budget price also leads me to believe we're not getting many extra frills and chills.

Oh, this is nothing I necessarily want (it wouldn't really provide much in terms of substance), just something I could see SEGA doing to sell their product/looking at marketing trends that's happening these days and trying to make sense of what Koralik's been saying at several occasions.

It wouldn't be something D3T would develop, just something one of the Japanese devs would do as a small side thing and bundle in as an extra (just as the yak mainline/kiwami teams are different and kingdom hearts port devs and that KH3 prologue devs are completely different). It really isn't an expensive endeavour to do something like this, again this often the sorta thing junior workers do (and sometimes it becomes a real game, like Grow Home by ubisoft).

It's definitely something (in fact, one of the only things) I could think of that fits in their price range. There's definitely more going on with this collection in one way or another, just intrigued to see what.

And yeah, i don't think the entire percentage Koralik throughout (90-95% remaining) is indicative of what we don't know about the game's contents, but things surrounding the project itself like promotional material, release dates, plans for it's main announcements etc.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby life_247 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:13 am

BlueCreeperBoy12 wrote:

Wasn't there other stuff in the boat chapter that happened that would affect the rest of the game? I remember seeing a storyboard and I think once they took that chapter out they had to rework the rest of Shenmue 2 slightly. I guess they could just change chapter 2 to fit, but that's so unlikely.

I’m pretty sure Yu Suzuki said they never actually made any of Chapter 2. Like it was planned and story boarded but it was dropped before development of at least the DC version.

The bike returning to S1 is a good shout.

They could possibly put some new effects in for the water etc. I’m pretty sure from what the developers have hinted/said that the game is going to run on the X-Box engine as a starting point so we could see snapshots in S1.

Also wild speculation but if they wanted to go all out they could include some parts past the end of S2, we know they’ve been developed to an extent and maps etc have been found so they could utilise that.
life_247

Postby Spaghetti » Sun May 06, 2018 11:33 am

life_247 wrote:Also wild speculation but if they wanted to go all out they could include some parts past the end of S2, we know they’ve been developed to an extent and maps etc have been found so they could utilise that.

You mean those "Miao Village" screens that have been around forever yeah?

I'm almost certain that stuff was later determined not to be from after the point where Shenmue II ends, but cut content from earlier on in the Guilin section.

I think theories pointed towards it being the area after Green Field but before the first meeting with Shenhua.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Supa » Sun May 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Kiyuu always said she thought it was from the river journey between Kowloon and Guilin. I think it was confirmed at some point as well by someone who worked on the game.

Also of interest: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12646&p=323102#p323102

It was confirmed on Muecas that the motion was completed...maybe it is done and only cut because of disc space? I hope there are a lot of extras included in this release, but I'm not holding my breath. It sounds like what they are doing already is pretty decent and honestly more than I expected.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release