Shenmue on Switch Speculation Thread

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Shenmue on Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:07 pm

Is there any hope of seeing a Switch port someday?
What does the lack of current release mean?
Is the 17-year-old Shenmue engine too complex for Switch hardware?
Has D3T sacrificed the Switch to focus more on other platforms at the moment?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Shenmue on Switch Speculation Thread

Postby Esppiral » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:10 pm

I hope it comes to switch eventually.

Esppiral has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:11 pm

I would love to play Shenmue on 3DS though.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby johnvivant » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:16 pm

i think it would do well on switch. maybe it required more work by comparison with the other platforms so they decided against it. at least initially.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Reprise » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:18 pm

The Switch is powerful enough. I expect that the remasters have been planned for a while and Nintendo wasn't considered initially because of where the company was at the point the collection started coming into fruition. Or maybe they really did only make the decision to create these remasters recently and it could also just be a decision Sega made to stick with PS4 and XB1. Who knows? Sadly, I'm not that surprised to be honest. It would be great if it does eventually get released for the Switch.

Reprise has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Telekill » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Eh... I'm hoping it comes to Switch for those that want Shenmue on the go, but I don't see myself buying it on the system even though I have one.

I potentially could play Shenmue on my PSV via remote play... but frankly, I don't see myself doing that either.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby jcjimher » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:58 pm

It's only a guess, but since they are working with the original Dreamcast source code as a base,it might be more difficult to add another platform than if the game was based on UE4 or another modern engine.

And Switch has an architecture that is more unique than the rest, being based on ARM and Nvidia rather than on x86 and AMD.

jcjimher has received a thanks from: Amir
jcjimher
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby redline » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:14 am

depends on sHD reviews. if the reviews are good, i can definitely see it coming to switch - which would be great as shenmue is more "family friendly" compared to modern games. (imo ideal for nintendo) - which could intern be good news for s3 on the switch.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kyo_JP » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:43 am

I think they are waiting for several reasons, one of them the Sega Ages for Switch plans, they said that if the series does well enough they will like to bring Saturn and Dreamcast games to the collection, so it makes sense to wait for later and maybe split them, who knows.

Kyo_JP has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Kyo_JP
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Tosh » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:48 am

i think it wont happen. Adam and Sega said a couple of times
that they know that people want a Switch version and they are seeing the messages on Fb and Twitter etc
but a Switch version is not planned and they cant comment on the details. it seems like there is a particular reason.
i think they would like to do it but they cant.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby celsowm » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:15 am

We need to consider that PS4 and Xbox one are X86 like PC so the initial effort to port Shenmue engine to them is easier than port to an ARM platform like Switch

celsowm has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
celsowm
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri May 04, 2018 12:14 pm

I was just thinking yesterday: How would the first-person zooming be implemented when there's no squeezable trigger on the Switch controllers, is it possible to play the game that way? Surely it wouldn't be possible (unless you press the trigger-button and then use motion control to push forwards/backwards or something?) but then I'd imagine the catching-leaf section would be unpleasant.

Maybe the touch-screen? But then it would have to work for TV mode, so is motion-controls the way to go about it? Or that the zooming in is automatic but slowed down (giving you time to manoeuvre?)

Would be great to see the ports happen eventually for the fans that want to play it/add to their collection and if sega can justify doing so (I mean, never say never: Valkyria Chronicles 1 Remaster is being ported to the switch by the end of the year as a digital-only title, despite VC4 being around the corner).

Although if this happens in the short term: I imagine it might pressure some to see ys.net release Shen3 for that platform as well (which shouldn't be taken for granted/seems unfair because the focus ought to be making the games the best as they can be for the consoles that are announced before worrying about anything else and they might lack the expertise to make port fans expect, it's something for deepsilver to think about after the game's launch on PC/PS4 basically).

Going back to 1&2, with recent discussions about the majority of development on these ports being done quite some time ago + it being shelved for some time since (when shenmue 3 became a thing), I imagine the switch demand might've just caught them off-guard and if sega europe wants to fulfil the switch port they might tackle it at a later date as they are currently doing with VC1.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Jibby » Fri May 04, 2018 2:11 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote: I was just thinking yesterday: How would the first-person zooming be implemented when there's no squeezable trigger on the Switch controllers, is it possible to play the game that way?

The same limitations will apply when playing the game with a mouse and keyboard so I imagine they've figured something out.

Jibby has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri May 04, 2018 3:15 pm

Jibby wrote:
FlagshipFighter wrote: I was just thinking yesterday: How would the first-person zooming be implemented when there's no squeezable trigger on the Switch controllers, is it possible to play the game that way?

The same limitations will apply when playing the game with a mouse and keyboard so I imagine they've figured something out.

That's true, but when mouse/keyboard came to mind: right-clicking/clicking the mouse wheel and rolling the wheel back and fourth while panning the mouse around sounds pretty intuitive to me, not to dissimilar to some 3D point n' click games.

I think for all platforms: there might be some readjustments to the way locking into stuff generally works for the modern control scheme. Most games you just click R3 and manoeuvre around, the way shenmue lock-on feels very unique gratifying to do when looking at objects.

I think they've definitely got the means to flexible with the way it's implemented on switch, however unorthodox it might have to be. RT for first person, clicking zoom up and down with RS and panning camera around with LS? (but then how would you move Ryo's neck while walking?) Anyway I'm overthinking something that isn't my job to do and can probably be figured out with these programmers within a fraction of a second xD

P.S. Have you ever played SF2 on switch/heard about that hadouken mini-game? Could you imagine kickstanding the switch, detaching the right joycon and then standing up flicking it across from right to left to mimic the motion of catching the leaves? lol (could actually be a therapeutic activity o.0)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby TheTimeRanger » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:40 am

I know it's it might not come the Switch, but man. I was sitting on the porch today, while raining and thinking it would be amazing to play Shenmue on the Switch handheld. Who knows, Nintendo might want to fork up a little to finance a port. A fools hope, but a hope none the less.
TheTimeRanger
Dojo Designer
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: The_TimeRanger
XBL: TheTimeRanger

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release