Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:40 am

Reprise wrote: Is it not weird that Sega actually have a release date and aren't announcing it?

Not hugely. From the sound of things in Adam's video, they intend to build up to it with their promotional strategy as more information gets revealed.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:47 am

Announcing the release date at another date gives you another chance to be trending on twitter and the top story on websites, casting a wider net for people to see news about this game and becoming interested. If they announced everything about the game straight away the game wouldn’t be talked about much until it’s realeased as there would be nothing to discuss.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, VukBZ2005
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Valascaziel » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:07 am

I think they are going to fix the cutscenes' aspect ratio in the end. They seem coy on confirming 4:3 is a definite thing, which tells me that perchance they are listening to fan concerns or compliments. I think that's why the member of d3t joined here was to garner information while throwing a small bit our way. He just didn't anticipate being overwhelmed by excited fans.

In regards to the release date, does this smell of an E3 release date reveal to anyone else but me?

I just can't help but think it is going to be announced there along with a full, proper reveal of III. It wouldn't surprise me if it's one of those surprise "Available Now" announcements like they did with Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 during the MvC Infinite reveal.

I am looking forward to the end of this month, to see if Yu acknowledges the re-release(finally) of his passionate former works in a KS update.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Stromer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:22 pm

TheThirdComing wrote: Did anything Shenmue releated come from that, I like Adam but I don't know if I can fish through 2 hours of footage :P

Summary: https://www.reddit.com/r/Shenmue/commen ... _the_chat/

Stromer has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Stromer
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby mrandyk » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:59 am

Riku Rose wrote: Announcing the release date at another date gives you another chance to be trending on twitter and the top story on websites, casting a wider net for people to see news about this game and becoming interested. If they announced everything about the game straight away the game wouldn’t be talked about much until it’s realeased as there would be nothing to discuss.

Someone has a real marketing mind.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby alexh86 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:08 am

It seems that the cutscenes may be 4:3 unless this changes from the pre-release footage. Does anyone truly think this is a huge detriment? You could call it lazy but this will not affect my enjoyment of the game one iota. At the end of the day, what difference does it make? We'll still get the wider field of view when playing the game which is the most important thing.

alexh86 has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Reprise
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby TheThirdComing » Wed May 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Hoping the delay of Shenmue III gives the devs more time to fix this issue, I could wait till a spring 2019 release on this, just needing this to be adapted to modern TV standards - Widesceen.
TheThirdComing

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Haruto » Thu May 17, 2018 3:40 pm

I hope not. I been playing DMC3 HD on PS4 and the in game cut scenes are still 480i and it looks awful. I just hope they bump up everything in Shenmue HD to 1080P.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Verderame » Thu May 17, 2018 4:31 pm

If they really can't manage to render the cutscenes in 16:9 due to whatever technical reason, they should just zoom and crop the image to make it widescreen anyway, just like Toei did with Dragon Ball Z Kai. It would be the cheapest, easier solution, and most of the people that didn't play the original games would never notice or care about it. Of course, make it just an option.

Verderame has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Verderame

Currently playing: Outrun

Postby TheThirdComing » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:37 am

Still really hoping SEGA fix this. I want to suggest this releae to my friends but when seeing how it isn't even presented in widescreen its jsut embarrassing
TheThirdComing

Postby Ceej » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:53 am

TheThirdComing wrote: Still really hoping SEGA fix this. I want to suggest this releae to my friends but when seeing how it isn't even presented in widescreen its jsut embarrassing

I believe the E3 trailers showed cutscenes in widescreen. But you would be embarrassed to show your friends the game for something as minor as this? Really? lol

Ceej has received 4 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Reprise, SheepheadCG, Spaghetti
Ceej

Postby TheThirdComing » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:33 pm

How is it minor, the games cutscenes are vital to the experience and they've not bothered to fix it for the mediums aspect ratio - People will be playing these on widescreen TV and it will look pathetic.

I was hopeful upon seeing it advertised on the PS4:

But sources today have all but confirmed it!

https://gematsu.com/2018/07/shenmue-i-i ... -august-21

Is the game 4:3 or widescreen?

Gameplay where the player can control the camera is 16:9.

Cutscenes are letterboxed in their original formats.

Devistated.

Cancelling my pre-order. Really put off by this, will be looking into a way to see about Emulating it or sorting out my DC versions.
TheThirdComing

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:47 pm

TheThirdComing wrote: How is it minor, the games cutscenes are vital to the experience and they've not bothered to fix it for the mediums aspect ratio - People will be playing these on widescreen TV and it will look pathetic.

I was hopeful upon seeing it advertised on the PS4:

But sources today have all but confirmed it!

https://gematsu.com/2018/07/shenmue-i-i ... -august-21

Is the game 4:3 or widescreen?

Gameplay where the player can control the camera is 16:9.

Cutscenes are letterboxed in their original formats.

Devistated.

Cancelling my pre-order. Really put off by this, will be looking into a way to see about Emulating it or sorting out my DC versions.

I hear you and I don't like giving corporations money just for the sake of it, but buying this is the only way you'll let Sega know they need to continue supporting Shenmue. They spent years dragging their feet. Now's not the time to turn your back on it.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:19 pm

Locking this thread as the question has now been answered.

FYI - if anybody wants to gripe about it and go through the "pre-order cancelled!" motions, do it elsewhere. By which I mean off-site.

Thanks.

Spaghetti has received 4 thanks from: Centrale, darksniper, OL, SheepheadCG
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Previous

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release