Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby Amir » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:49 am

I can understand and live with 4:3 for Shenmue I cutscenes, it's just the 16:9 letterboxed ones for Shenmue II with the double black bars that have me worried. If they get this and shadows sorted out for Shenmue II I'll be a happy man.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:21 am

GYO6161 wrote: Dat Ryo and Nozomi one looks REALLY good! Seems like some bloom lighting is in effect. Don't mind the 4:3 if it's gonna look that good. But we will see.

Huh, so I wasn't the only one that noticed bloom... IIRC it never was in Shenmue, and only in the XB version of Shenmue 2.

I really liked what the bloom added to the XB ver. of Shenmue 2, especially in Kowloon at night. I'll wait and see if I would like it in Shenmue 1 too after more images and videos are released. I know purists will be upset about it though, as it may change the atmosphere of certain scenes.

It may be toggle-able in the PC version too, as is the case with many PC games.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Gen » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:47 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
GYO6161 wrote: Dat Ryo and Nozomi one looks REALLY good! Seems like some bloom lighting is in effect. Don't mind the 4:3 if it's gonna look that good. But we will see.

Huh, so I wasn't the only one that noticed bloom... IIRC it never was in Shenmue, and only in the XB version of Shenmue 2.

I really liked what the bloom added to the XB ver. of Shenmue 2, especially in Kowloon at night. I'll wait and see if I would like it in Shenmue 1 too after more images and videos are released. I know purists will be upset about it though, as it may change the atmosphere of certain scenes.

It may be toggle-able in the PC version too, as is the case with many PC games.

I liked the bloom on windows and signs during the night, but thought it was overdone in many scenes. I don't like it when characters appear to be glowing.

Gen has received a thanks from: Reprise
Gen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:08 am

When I saw the trailer I thought that the old 4:3 in the cutscene was supposed to show the old Shenmue, or the past. And then it switched to fancy 16:9 HD.
BlueCreeperBoy12

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby lorddanilo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:14 am

From Shenmue japanese website

ゲ一ム画面の画質を向上
プレイアブ丿レシ一ンは16:9で表現

Improve image quality of game screen
Express playback with 16: 9 expression

From Google translator
lorddanilo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: danilo_tino
Currently playing: Zelda BotW

Postby shredingskin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:28 am

And now we can't blame Awesome Japan for the bad communication, that was the best part !!!

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Gen
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Gen » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:33 am

This 16:9/4:3 thing is getting confusing. I guess we're gonna have to wait for them to confirm how it will end up. Or maybe they are intentionally vague about it because they don't know yet if they'll achieve 16:9 cutscenes.

Personally I wouldn't be too upset if the cutscenes weren't 16:9, there are other issues I think are more important, like a stable framerate and improved audio. The option to play the whole game in 4:3 is probably a good idea since it might be a bit weird constantly switching from 16:9 to 4:3.

Gen has received a thanks from: Reprise
Gen

Postby Sappharad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Amir wrote: I can understand and live with 4:3 for Shenmue I cutscenes, it's just the 16:9 letterboxed ones for Shenmue II with the double black bars that have me worried. If they get this and shadows sorted out for Shenmue II I'll be a happy man.

The trailer didn't have double black bars for the Shenmue Tree cutscene. I'm assuming/hoping it's selectable in 2.

That being said, I realized there's an easy way for them to address the very few scenes in 1 that don't work out while expanded to 16x9. Just do the same thing that TV shows like the X-Files did when the first 4 seasons which were originally 4x3 got remastered for 16x9. When the footage didn't allow them to gain additional detail on the sides, they zoomed in. This is far easier than actually editing the cutscene, and it's easy enough that we could do it on Dreamcast as a proof of concept via cheat device codes. Just need to check for the proper event ID's and change the camera parameters as necessary. In the examples I've seen there are no face close ups, so if you're zooming against the top everything still looks good. Tweaking character positions is risky, but editing the camera when necessary isn't a big deal IMO.

I'd prefer 16x9 all around, and for people who want 4x3 they can have that option too. They're probably too far into this to consider that feedback, but who knows. I was planning to reach out to them anyway, guess I can add this to my list.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Reprise » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:30 am

Sappharad wrote:
That being said, I realized there's an easy way for them to address the very few scenes in 1 that don't work out while expanded to 16x9. Just do the same thing that TV shows like the X-Files did when the first 4 seasons which were originally 4x3 got remastered for 16x9. When the footage didn't allow them to gain additional detail on the sides, they zoomed in.

Personally, I hate it when they do that... I'd rather they kept 4:3 if certain scenes are going to be cropping the image and cutting part of the top and bottom off the screen. I wouldn't call that an "easy solution", because it's ugly and affects the composition of the shot.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby TheThirdComing » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:49 am

I find it rarely does - I knwo once in FFX I noticed at the bottom of the screen in the original came a character walks into a room and tells everyone to step outside, in the HD Remaster he was cut off cscreen completely, but beyond that I found to to be fine. I'd rather they soom in and focus atetntion on Every shot, but I'd take a Full 16:9 over boarders anytime - I'd honestly rather just play the game stretched like it is on my Original Dreamcast version...

What I wanna know is:
A Confimation to the 4:3 in Cutscenes & if it can be adjusted
- Will this be scenes featuring QTE's?
- and if so, can this be avoided. It's REALLY going to tarnish the whole experience for me.
TheThirdComing

Postby Reprise » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:29 am

TheThirdComing wrote:I'd honestly rather just play the game stretched like it is on my Original Dreamcast version....

Ewwww stretched? :P

I guess I disagree anyways. I'm so against it that there's a TV series I wanted on bluray and that I refused to buy (sticking with my old dvd boxset), because they changed the aspect ratio to 16:9 by cropping chunks of the image.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Gastarot » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:58 am

Sorry for D3T company but i think it's extremelly easy to record cut-scene of Shenmue for the 16/9 format ? nothing special just recode again to move on new video format !! :-s
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Gastarot wrote: Sorry for D3T company but i think it's extremelly easy to record cut-scene of Shenmue for the 16/9 format ? nothing special just recode again to move on new video format !! :-s

Shenmue's cutscenes are meant to be real time, not video.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Reprise
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gastarot » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:38 pm

***Mod note - Member was suspended for a week for this out of line comment***

They need to work a lot and take out fingers of ass for make a true and beautiful Remaster. As why my TV can stretch pictures, I don't need stretching options everyone can do this...

Gastarot has received a thanks from: iyapol
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:58 pm

Gastarot wrote: They need to work a lot and take out fingers of ass for make a true and beautiful Remaster. As why my TV can stretch pictures, I don't need stretching options everyone can do this...

I'm not sure you particularly know what you're talking about here, but you might want to tone your language down about the developer, especially now we have someone from there posting here now.

EDIT: After further discussion, the above post was considered rude and too far out of line to allow, and has resulted in a week's suspension.

Spaghetti has received 4 thanks from: alexironaek, Reprise, Senpai Gamer, staplepuffs27
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release