Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Postby Superrayman3 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:14 pm

Gastarot wrote: Sorry for D3T company but i think it's extremelly easy to record cut-scene of Shenmue for the 16/9 format ? nothing special just recode again to move on new video format !! :-s
I wouldn't think it'd be that hard (if the fans could do it without the source code then d3t should be able to do it with the original source code), now it's possible (and this is just my theory) that SEGA doesn't want a widescreen option for the cutscenes because they want to respect the major plot points of Yu Suzuki's original vision as it was originally presented and if that's the case then I find it a highly respectful gesture towards him at least that's how I'd see it

Again what I said is merely conjecture at this point but something tells me that there's more to this going on behind the scenes than meets the eye, personally I hope SEGA does allow d3t to include a widescreen option for everything so everyone can be happy, purists get the original 4:3 experience if they wish, while widescreen fans get the game in a form that they're more comfortable with, that way SEGA increases the chances of people buying it, and as everyone knows more sales=+$$ and the more +$$ SEGA get from this the better the chances we'll have at making Shenmue IV possible if this release and III do well enough.

So let's recap if SEGA allow a widescreen option the entire spectrum of Shenmue fans get everything they want and SEGA has a better chance of really coming out strong if they play their cards right so everybody more or less wins which is the best thing a company can go for, to me this is a complete no brainer, so honestly I don't see what the issue would be with including both.
Superrayman3
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 0.400

Postby Reprise » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:40 pm

It's already been explained though. Whilst fans have hacked the games, including the cutscenes, to run in widescreen without issue, for the most part, there are some cutscenes that have glitches due to characters appearing 'stuck' as they were left static as they were never intended to be within view.

d3tAllan wrote:
I think its best I don't talk about 4:3 vs 16:9. All I will say is that for technical reasons parts of the game are currently limited to 4:3. If you play the game in an emulator with a widescreen hack you will see some of the issues.

phpBB [video]

Reprise has received 3 thanks from: Arm Wrestler, FlagshipFighter, ProjektHate
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ProjektHate » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Reprise wrote: It's already been explained though. Whilst fans have hacked the games, including the cutscenes, to run in widescreen without issue, for the most part, there are some cutscenes that have glitches due to characters appearing 'stuck' as they were left static as they were never intended to be within view.

d3tAllan wrote:
I think its best I don't talk about 4:3 vs 16:9. All I will say is that for technical reasons parts of the game are currently limited to 4:3. If you play the game in an emulator with a widescreen hack you will see some of the issues.

phpBB [video]

Very much this.

However, it's possible that they'll be able to resolve the issues with it and present the entire game in 16:9 by the time it goes gold. I'm not expecting it, though, and I don't care either way. I'm just happy to be able to play the games properly again.
ProjektHate
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: ProjektH8
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: KotOR

Postby Sappharad » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:08 pm

ProjektHate wrote:However, it's possible that they'll be able to resolve the issues with it and present the entire game in 16:9 by the time it goes gold. I'm not expecting it, though, and I don't care either way. I'm just happy to be able to play the games properly again.

There's no guarantee things will change since the published information from Famitsu says event scenes will be forced to 4x3 (with Shenmue 2 being the exception based on the trailer, since those were letterboxed originally), but if they did decide to change and didn't want to zoom the few scenes that need it, I'd be okay with just the few scenes that need it having bars on the side. Just so we at least get most in 16x9 as an option. Sonic Adventure 2's HD release a few years back did that for the same reason (some effects were done as 4x3 animated overlays so no 16x9 was possible) and I was fine with it too because I knew why they had to omit it for those scenes.

Not having any Shenmue 1 event scenes in 16x9 isn't a deal breaker, but I'd prefer to see it whenever possible.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: Esppiral
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Esppiral » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:42 am

If there are a selected number of cutscenes that for technical reasons, even having access to the source code, can't be converted to 16:9, I am fine as far as they keep the ones that don't suffer from glitches when playing in wide-screen, for reference, shenmue 1 intro is glitch free in wide-screen even in 21:9 aspect ratio,so they should make it wide-screen, I mean I hope just because some cutscene s present problems in wide-screen they just don't go ahead and leave them all in 4:3.
This needs to be done in a scene by scene basis and just keep in 4:3 the ones that exhibit problems in 16:9. Or just zoom them just a little since most of the time it glitches happens on the very edge of the screen.

As shappard has said, similar to Sonic Adventure 2 HD most cinematics are 16:9 except the ones that rely on 4:3 overly so a similar scenario could be presented here.

Btw this thread is mostly the same that the one I did since my biggest concern is the aspect ratio.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby BlueMue » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:56 am

Has anyone tried to make a list of scenes in Shenmue where something doesn't work right in widescreen?
I have seen the game played like this a couple of times and I can't remember anything at all.
So it can't be that much or at least nothing really bad.

I have to say, when the "mugged guy not running away" thing is about as bad as it gets I'd rather have to live with this and get widescreen everywhere instead of jumping back to 4:3 every now and then or for all cutscenes.
I know this isn't an ideal solution at all, especially since such a remaster rewritten from the source code is able to fix these problems but I think it would be less distracting and impactful to the initial impression of the game than having black borders.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Mystere » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:42 am

Careful what you wish for...

With some users emailing the developer and the board having already bombarded that d3t user with the issue, it's possible the devs will end up implementing a "halfway" solution and simply zoom in cutscenes to fill a 16:9 ratio, like the Final Fantasy X Remaster, or Resident Evil HD.

Cropping is the easiest way to check that 16:9 box, if d3t become convinced that it's a burning issue because of some vociferous whining on here.

D3t aren't gonna be fucking with alternate camera angles without SEGA's permission, which they clearly don't have or we wouldnt be here. And spare me ridiculous suggestions like a mix of 4:3 and 16:9 cutscenes to mask the frozen animations problem. Presentation that unbalanced wouldn't even fly with SEGA.

Mystere has received a thanks from: Reprise
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Reprise » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Mystere wrote: Careful what you wish for...

With some users emailing the developer and the board having already bombarded that d3t user with the issue, it's possible the devs will end up implementing a "halfway" solution and simply zoom in cutscenes to fill a 16:9 ratio, like the Final Fantasy X Remaster, or Resident Evil HD.

Cropping is the easiest way to check that 16:9 box, if d3t become convinced that it's a burning issue because of some vociferous whining on here.

D3t aren't gonna be fucking with alternate camera angles without SEGA's permission, which they clearly don't have or we wouldnt be here. And spare me ridiculous suggestions like a mix of 4:3 and 16:9 cutscenes to mask the frozen animations problem. Presentation that unbalanced wouldn't even fly with SEGA.

THANK YOU. I swear to god, if they end up zooming and cropping the image to create the 'illusion' of a 16:9 resolution, they better offer a 4:3 option. If they don't, I will be so pissed off. I can't believe people actually think zooming and cropping the image is acceptable. I'd take a full uncropped 4:3 image any day of the week.

Reprise has received a thanks from: Mystere
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby punkmanced » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:48 pm

Zooming/cropping is a godawful idea.

punkmanced has received 2 thanks from: Amir, Reprise
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby celsowm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:24 pm

Adam Koralik going to do a live Q&A now:

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=X1J8H7qY1y0
celsowm
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr

Postby Gen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:57 pm

celsowm wrote: Adam Koralik going to do a live Q&A now:

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=X1J8H7qY1y0

LOL at guy who keep asking Sega_Europe about male Yuan voice.
Gen

Postby TheThirdComing » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:48 am

Did anything Shenmue releated come from that, I like Adam but I don't know if I can fish through 2 hours of footage :P
TheThirdComing

Postby Tosh » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:11 am

TheThirdComing wrote: Did anything Shenmue releated come from that, I like Adam but I don't know if I can fish through 2 hours of footage :P

Here is what Adam said about Shenmue and everything that Sega wrote in the comments about Shenmue.

He cant talk about the framerate (Sega will reveal more details later), Sega knows that people would like
a Switch version but right now its not planned, both games are in 16:9 (gameplay only -
no details about the cutscenes),
he cant talk about the save file transfer, Sega Europe wont answer any questions
regarding Shenmue 3 (thats the job of Deep Silver), Sega is not involved
in the story process of Shenmue 3,

he doesnt know if the box art for Shenmue HD will be the same for every region,
no details about a release date
(he said everything is just a placeholder right now, he knows the real date but cant tell us),
the 70 million game budget thing was a "marketing lie" by Sega Japan -
the budget was 47 million for 4 games in total,
(marketing included, so in reality one Shenmue game had the budget of 8-10 million),
Adam doubts that Shenmue 3 will be available on Xbox One, he cant say anything about the loading times
(he played the Pc build),
he said that he can tell us about 10% of what he knows about Shenmue HD.

Thats it.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Valascaziel » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:18 am

I don't understand why an NDA would be signed about an HD Remaster that is 70% complete or better. He can share about 10% of what he knows. I just don't know what features or megatons they wish to keep so secret, you know?

The only thing I can understand an NDA about is a save transfer(it seems to be a "plausible deniability" thing here) or something like SEGA has gone into helping Shenmue III by allowing the remainder of AM2 to join development with YsNet or a portion of the proceeds from this remaster will go to help 3.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Reprise » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:19 am

Is it not weird that Sega actually have a release date and aren't announcing it?
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release