Is there any chance of our save files carrying over to S3?

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Is there any chance of our save files carrying over to S3?

Postby Chaikilla » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:09 pm

This has probably been asked before but I'd love to know if you guys think there's a chance of us being able to move our save progress from the HD games to Shenmue 3. It seems unlikely to me, especially since the battle system will most likely be revamped, not to mention that I'd assume that there may be a few legal issues with regards to copyrights of certain capsule toys.

I'd love to know what people think, though. Imagine being able to collect EVERYTHING...In a way, I hope we can't just for the fact that it would consume my life :mrgreen:
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Is there any chance of our save files carrying over to S

Postby Niowiad » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:17 pm

Niowiad has received a thanks from: Chaikilla
Niowiad

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Chaikilla » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Niowiad wrote: Apparently not going to happen :???:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=51677

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=51634

Damn :cry: it makes sense but still sad to hear. Thanks for clearing it up though!
Chaikilla

Postby Scribe86 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:53 pm

Well if you guys check out Adam Koraliks recent live stream he is asked this question and addresses the question like “that question is linked to the NDA I signed, so I cannot answer this now but information will be released on this as and when” - I paraphrased this quote but it got me thinking that he could have just said I don’t know or I couldn’t answer that. So could be a possibility still? I may be grasping at straws but you never know :)

https://youtu.be/X1J8H7qY1y0 - Time Stamp 20:50
Scribe86
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Jibby » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:18 pm

Transferring saves to Shenmue III sounds nice, but in practice I'm not sure that it's really appropriate. If Shenmue III had come out back when it was supposed to then sure, but circumstances are different today. The collectables (e.g. capsule toys) are going to be different and the decisions we made in I and II probably wont be that relevant with the reshuffling of the story and the new gameplay mechanics that are planned. I just can't really think of any huge benefits that the player will gain from importing their save.

Shenmue III is supposed to be the franchises foray into the modern day, so I'm not hugely concerned about importing data from games that will almost be 20 years old by the time it comes out.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Tosh » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:43 pm

i think they will start Shenmue 3 with some flashbacks and maybe some basic questions / choices
to kind of restore "your" storyline but you wont get your items back or anything like that.
thats my best guess right now.

Tosh has received a thanks from: spud1897
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Haruto » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:53 am

Yeah I'd at least accept a Dragon Age style what choice did you make in the last game kinda thing.

Haruto has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby spud1897 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:02 am

Tosh wrote: i think they will start Shenmue 3 with some flashbacks and maybe some basic questions / choices
to kind of restore "your" storyline but you wont get your items back or anything like that.
thats my best guess right now.

I think that's a good idea. Also for new players it gives them some idea of what went before if they didn't buy the HD releases (though they would be crazy not to at the price they are).
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:50 am

Haruto wrote: Yeah I'd at least accept a Dragon Age style what choice did you make in the last game kinda thing.

I'm not even sure this is worth it, given our choices in the previous games really only come down to variables in inventory items.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShinChuck » Thu May 10, 2018 10:56 am

I would be happy with a Dragon Age-style questionnaire-type deal, although direct save transfers would be nice too!

It's probably not a huge deal in the whole scheme of things, but having the specific pictures and capsule toys you chose and got would be really nice to have in 3!

ShinChuck has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release