Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

Postby Sappharad » Sun May 20, 2018 10:02 pm

GYO6161 wrote: Anyone remember how the in Shenmue 1 on disc 1 the Japanese voice actor grunts in the battles for Ryo were left in the English version then it was back to Corey on disc 2 and 3?

I'm curious if this will be fixed since now its all going to be on a single disc.

Internally I would expect them to use a virtual disc system like Shenmue 2x was. The Dreamcast games used the same main executable (1ST_READ.BIN) on all 3/4 discs, and just determined what disc they were on via the discnum file on the disc. It was easier for them to port Shenmue 2 to Xbox by keeping the original disc divisions intact, I would be impressed if d3t actually bothered to re-work things to remove the internal concept of different discs for either game. Keeping it as-is for Shenmue 1 is less work.

On the other hand, whether they do that or not potentially may have no impact on your thought. Since they need to work in the Japanese dub as well, and we know from the fan-undub project that there's not a 1:1 match between the Japanese and English voices, they're probably going to be doing some work there. Especially if they want to go back and swap in the higher quality recordings of the voice acting before it was downsampled for DC, then they'd have to rebuild it all anyway, potentially fixing mistakes or introducing new ones.

If they're taking the easiest route possible, I'm guessing it won't be fixed. They didn't fix the random Japanese clips in the English dub of Sonic Adventure 2 either when that got ported to PC a few years back. (Eggman's "Yosh" when picking things up, Knuckles "Ora ora ora" when digging, etc.)

I realize your post was probably a rhetorical question, just wanted to share my opinion on what could happen.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: GYO6161
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby GYO6161 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:54 pm

Sappharad wrote:
GYO6161 wrote: Anyone remember how the in Shenmue 1 on disc 1 the Japanese voice actor grunts in the battles for Ryo were left in the English version then it was back to Corey on disc 2 and 3?

I'm curious if this will be fixed since now its all going to be on a single disc.

Internally I would expect them to use a virtual disc system like Shenmue 2x was. The Dreamcast games used the same main executable (1ST_READ.BIN) on all 3/4 discs, and just determined what disc they were on via the discnum file on the disc. It was easier for them to port Shenmue 2 to Xbox by keeping the original disc divisions intact, I would be impressed if d3t actually bothered to re-work things to remove the internal concept of different discs for either game. Keeping it as-is for Shenmue 1 is less work.

On the other hand, whether they do that or not potentially may have no impact on your thought. Since they need to work in the Japanese dub as well, and we know from the fan-undub project that there's not a 1:1 match between the Japanese and English voices, they're probably going to be doing some work there. Especially if they want to go back and swap in the higher quality recordings of the voice acting before it was downsampled for DC, then they'd have to rebuild it all anyway, potentially fixing mistakes or introducing new ones.

If they're taking the easiest route possible, I'm guessing it won't be fixed. They didn't fix the random Japanese clips in the English dub of Sonic Adventure 2 either when that got ported to PC a few years back. (Eggman's "Yosh" when picking things up, Knuckles "Ora ora ora" when digging, etc.)

I realize your post was probably a rhetorical question, just wanted to share my opinion on what could happen.

Interesting. Thanks for your input.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby celsowm » Tue May 22, 2018 8:48 am

celsowm
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:11 pm

Later in the year... So it looks like we are going to have it later in the summer or so
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby newyokohama » Wed May 23, 2018 9:22 am

This could finally be my chance to get all the capsule toys in Shenmue 1, at least. Easier than hogging the TV I share with my wife. There's no benefit from doing this in the original right? I recall a Gold Dural that was hard to get or something.
newyokohama
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Catchup

Postby Sappharad » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 pm

Shenmue I & II is notably absent from Sega's E3 plans this year:
https://www.dualshockers.com/sega-atlus-e3-lineup/

I guess the best we can expect is for them to drop some news during the event now, but it looks like they're not going to be showing anything at the show.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:26 pm

Might be a case of Shenmue I, II, and III exhibiting at Gamescom then. Not that I think that's done on purpose.

Not quite sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing either.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:27 am

Spaghetti wrote: Might be a case of Shenmue I, II, and III exhibiting at Gamescom then. Not that I think that's done on purpose.

Not quite sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing either.

It would be a good thing in my opinion, and if it happens, I guess it would be on purpose.

I keep thinking about what Yu Suzuki said in a past interview, that he was hoping for some kind of synergy with SEGA.
(If someone finds this interview, it would be great)
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:23 pm

Kiske wrote:I keep thinking about what Yu Suzuki said in a past interview, that he was hoping for some kind of synergy with SEGA.
(If someone finds this interview, it would be great)

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/0 ... uzuki.html

Q: At the moment, there are a lot of revivals of previous or classic games. Do you have any plans for a revival of Shenmue I and II? I think there would be a lot of people who would try them if they were available on PS4.

YS: The Shenmue IP belongs to SEGA, so I'm not in a position to give a direct answer. Personally, I also think it would be good if something could be done in connection with Shenmue III. It would probably also have a synergistic effect.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, Switch
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kiske » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Thank you!
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Eh maybe I'm worrying for nothin'. I don't want them treading on each other's toes, but they can quite easily ride a hype wave together as a pair.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Supa » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:26 am

I wonder if the SEGA console capsule toys that were dropped from Shenmue IIx will be added back in.

I also think the IIx dub gets way too much hate. I understand having a preference, but saying it is completely awful and whatever else is just not true, I feel. You really going to compare the main story acting to something like The Legend Of Zelda: The Wand Of Gamelon?
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:53 pm

https://twitter.com/OlivierComte1/status/1006242532395704321

Although not properly at E3, SEGA still seem to be taking meetings for Shenmue I & II.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Supa
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sappharad » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Spaghetti wrote: https://twitter.com/OlivierComte1/status/1006242532395704321

Although not properly at E3, SEGA still seem to be taking meetings for Shenmue I & II.

Sega Europe's Twitter keeps teasing more news 'soon', so I wonder if that means they'll drop some news during E3 despite the fact that it's not on their schedule.

I feel like the lack of promotion for the game at their E3 booth implies that they're waiting for a future event like Gamescom to promote it, and if that's the case it narrows the release date to September or later. A surprise date like the accidental NewEgg June date that got changed would be nice, but if that were the case they'd already be manufacturing and a final build would've already be ready. My new guess is October, as I seem to recall them announcing a different game for September already but I can't think of it right now.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:15 pm

It might mean press previews are happening. Or it could just be Koch reps like Olivier taking a meeting with SEGA over release strategy, etc.

But generally I agree that it feels like SEGA is waiting for another time to talk more about the game.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release