Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

Postby redline » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:52 am

post your Random Shenmue HD Thoughts here.

................................................................................

shenmue hd was in the works before shenmue 3 announcement.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/04/19/s ... nouncement

this is interesting from the ign article-

Clark confirmed that the same project development team at Sega Europe responsible for Valkyria Chronicles is leading the Shenmue I & II project. “There are more games on the list, there are more announcements to be made, and we’re just happy that we can bring out Shenmue I & II now.”

sounds like other dreamcast games might be coming to ps4/xbox one soon?
Last edited by redline on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:58 am

The IGN title is a bit misleading, IMO.

John Clark says there were discussions, not that they were directly in the works.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: redline
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby redline » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:06 am

yes i agree, i was a bit quick to post but its interesting..Like most of us suspected, Sega is a company which puts profits before anything else ( ie not interested in making sHD, Until seeing the interest for s3).
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:06 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Oh I can hear the unfiltered Tomato Convenience Store music already...

8)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby GYO6161 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:04 am

Do you all think most newcomers for these new remasters are gonna go with the dub or the original jpn audio with subs?
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Niowiad » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:42 am

I feel like the vast majority of people naturally goes for the most comfortable way of playing, which is without having to constantly read text. Pretty understandable in a way.

I'm all for getting as close as possible to the original creator's concept in movies, videogames and art in general; so I'm very glad they included the original japanese voices. I don't have much time for playing videogames anymore (let alone re-playing) and if they didn't include the original audio this time, alghough I would have bought it anyway, I would have probably just watched the two "movies" on YouTube in preparation for Shenmue3.

Japanese audio literally was my only request for the HD remasters.

Niowiad has received a thanks from: GYO6161
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Centrale » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:24 pm

redline wrote: Like most of us suspected, Sega is a company which puts profits before anything else ( ie not interested in making sHD, Until seeing the interest for s3).

I suppose the only other kind of company would be one that is out of business. Sega has to make money to survive. That said, I think that Sega has done more creative, unique, risky, wildly artistic games and products than any other game company.

Centrale has received 2 thanks from: KidMarine, VukBZ2005
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:22 am

Just noticed something quite interesting!

It's already confirmed by the d3t dev here that the version of Shenmue II is based on the Xbox version but check this out.
Seems like that sign is in the rerelease so they might be borrowing some dreamcast assets for this version. Pretty neat. :mrgreen:

You can see it for the first couple frames in the reveal trailer at 0:30. I boosted the contrast on Photoshop to make it look clearer.

GYO6161 has received 3 thanks from: Brian SII DC vs Xbox, Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:52 am

Nice spot.

... But it's a different door to the arm wrestling place. The door one up from the arm wrestling place has the "no admittance" sign in the Xbox version, but no idea about one door down. Can't seem to find any footage that clearly shows the area either.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby redline » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:47 am

/\ i was watching a youtube clip someone posted about the xbox shenmue 2. in that version they added some interesting details and updates like extra shadows but also added a stupid blur effect on fighting gameplay.

if they add that blur effect to fighting gameplay for sHD, i think it wil' spoil it
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:56 am

Can't speak for the blur, but the overdone bloom effect in Shenmue IIx hasn't been very apparent in the screens and footage we've had of I & II.

It either wasn't working at the time the screens were taken, is getting reworked with a subtler implementation, or might be something we can turn off in the options. Might be the same for the blur.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: redline, Reprise
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:00 am

GYO6161 wrote: Just noticed something quite interesting!

It's already confirmed by the d3t dev here that the version of Shenmue II is based on the Xbox version but check this out.
Seems like that sign is in the rerelease so they might be borrowing some dreamcast assets for this version. Pretty neat. :mrgreen:

You can see it for the first couple frames in the reveal trailer at 0:30. I boosted the contrast on Photoshop to make it look clearer.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but from the Xbox version:

We'll have to see the arm wrestling area to know for sure, but I dunno if the changes between the DC and Xbox version are going to be rectified in this release.

Thanks to SkillJim for the image.

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: Brian SII DC vs Xbox, James Brown, redline
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:56 pm

Ah interesting i didn't know.
Welp sorry guys.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Can't speak for the blur, but the overdone bloom effect in Shenmue IIx hasn't been very apparent in the screens and footage we've had of I & II.

It either wasn't working at the time the screens were taken, is getting reworked with a subtler implementation, or might be something we can turn off in the options. Might be the same for the blur.

Yeah the more options the better really.

Which reminds me: I wonder if we'll be able to go the main menu of the game (I assume it'll be something like Shenmue 1, Shenmue 2 and options, settings) while ingame by having a new UI to 'Quit Game' or if it'll we'll be pressing A,B,X,Y+START or START+BACK buttons like the older games (I know it sounds ridiculous that I even mention this, but I've learned it's not something to take for granted: Devil May Cry 1-3 HD collection you had to quit to the dashboard/XMB and then relaunch the game to go back to the 1-3 menu :shock: ) I doubt it'll be the case here.

I am reminded of Jibby's fan-made UI :D https://youtu.be/HECw_LT3FsI

Oh man, the ability to have multiple/infinite save slots in Shenmue 1 and 2 now would be fantastic if they implemented this! :P 3-10 were never enough!
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby redline » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:40 pm

Niowiad wrote:
Japanese audio literally was my only request for the HD remasters.

with the 2 different languages, it seems were pretty much getting 4 games with sHD. (same goes for shenmue 3). japanese vs english give the games a totally different feel imo.

i plan to play both in japanese, then in english :)

redline has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release