Shenmue HD and franchise future

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: Shenmue HD and franchise future

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 03, 2018 11:55 am

Thinking back to the language used when III was announced, I believe it was said that Ys Net have the ability to produce future games in the series, rather than just III.

Unless SEGA reneges on that deal (and accepts the possible legal ramifications of that), Ys Net may still be holding the cards on whether Shenmue IV happens or not.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu May 03, 2018 12:02 pm

I really don't see why Sega would want to get in the way of the team making another Shenmue game. They're getting great publicity right now and potentially able to capitalize on a franchise they thought was dead. I don't see any upside to them stopping Shenmue IV. We've already proven there's a very strong built-in audience for these games (outranking God of War and Mario Odyssey for several consecutive days, not to mention a world record-breaking Kickstarter). I also think the cost of making a great Shenmue 4 would be well within Sega's budgetary limits. These games no longer need earth shattering amounts of money to be made.

I think it'd be very smart of Sega to lend their support to Yu Suzuki.
Last edited by mjq jazz bar on Thu May 03, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby johnjohnbrem » Thu May 03, 2018 12:50 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote:I think it'd be very smart of Sega to lend their support to Yu Suzuki.

It would be very smart indeed, but... it's Sega, soo...who knows!
johnjohnbrem
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: PUBG

Postby Tosh » Thu May 03, 2018 5:15 pm

i believe Sega is smart enough to know that they are in a good light right now and that fans are really happy because of Yakuza and Shenmue, so i doubt that they will do anything stupid like stopping Shenmue 4 or whatever.

Sega knows that Shenmue 3 is only being made because of our own money and the money of Deep Silver.
and Sega already said a couple of times that they are not involved in Shenmue 3. it would be pretty rude
to takeover Shenmue 4 after that just because they can.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu May 03, 2018 5:21 pm

If they took over and it benefited the game/series, I'd see no issue with it.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Supa » Wed May 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Small, interesting tidbit to note on SEGA's website...

Remember their "brand" strategy from a few years ago, where they focused on key brands, rather than new IP as much?

Interesting to note that Shenmue is now listed as a brand on their website, alongside Yakuza, Sonic, Football Manager, Total War, and the like. Valkyria Chronicles, Shining Resonance Refrain...not listed. Shenmue is. Not at all confirming Shenmue IV - X, but interesting nonetheless. Maybe they now have subtle faith in the future of the franchise. Adam Koralik did hint that support of I & II could lead to bigger and better things...

http://www.sega.com/

Edit:

SEGA - Sammy seems to really be banking on Shenmue as one of their IP revivals they want to focus on for their "Road To 2020" initiative. See here:

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf ... _final.pdf (Slide 22)

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf ... _final.pdf (Slide 11)

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf ... inal__.pdf (Slide 22)

Cautiously optimistic.

Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BruceWayne911 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:22 pm

I truly feel that Yu Suzuki will be able to finish Shenmue the way he always wanted. With the gaming community raising 7 million on Kickstarter this speaks volumes. It clearly shows there's a market. Besides Shenmue 3 I believe Sony, Microsoft, PC and Sega will continue to support the franchise.
BruceWayne911

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Previous

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release