Shenmue HD's effect on the price of the originals

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Shenmue HD's effect on the price of the originals

Postby Jibby » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:38 pm

Ever since Shenmue III was announced, the price of Shenmue I and II for Dreamcast skyrocketed and hasn't really fallen since. This was understandable when it was the only way to play the games legitimately, but now with the announcement of Shenmue I and II HD, do you guys reckon that we're set for a price crash?

Obviously I don't think they'll ever fall to pre-III prices seeing as the games could be considered collectable items now, but as somebody who doesn't have their original copies anymore, it would be nice if they became a bit more affordable.

I think it'll be interesting to see what effect the remasters have here.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue HD's effect on the price of the originals

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:03 pm

The dreamcast collectors community is huge right now. I doubt it will drop in price that much but i hope it does. I still need to get some versions on dreamcast.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Kirino_Matsuyama » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:07 pm

In terms of user guides and other Shenmue related items, the price seems to have gone up a lot on Amazon Japan.
Kirino_Matsuyama
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby spud1897 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:07 am

Speaking to people on the various retro groups on Facebook they say typically the cost of the games goes down once remakes/re-masters are announced.

As mentioned above the DC community is flying at the moment and prices on the whole are going up, if something like the GDEMU was mass produced prices would drop as most people wouldn't need originals to play as they would have all the games on several SD cards.

That being said with Shenmue it's only been a couple of weeks since the announcement so any changes won't have filtered through. Once the HD's and 3 releases I expect prices will slowly fall but not a huge amount. Not 2010 level though... I miss those days.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby JPZ » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:28 am

Besides for collectors, a physical copy was the only way for most people to play and experience the games (besides emulation), now they will be able to just download them off Steam in a format designed for a modern monitor or TV.

So I think the prices will come down a bit.
JPZ

Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid V

Postby alexh86 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:02 am

Earthbound is a good comparison case. Until recently, the only way to legitimately play the game was to buy a used SNES cart for around $200 (eBay). A few years ago it came out digitally on the Wii U (maybe 3DS as well, idk) and is also now included with the SNES classic. You can get them today for $160-$175 (eBay). The price has come down a little bit but not tremendously. Shenmue will probably come down a little bit as well but it has never been as expensive as Earthbound. Maybe instead of $30 for a complete US copy of the game you could get it for $25.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86

Postby drunkensailor » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:23 am

Jibby wrote: Ever since Shenmue III was announced, the price of Shenmue I and II for Dreamcast skyrocketed and hasn't really fallen since. This was understandable when it was the only way to play the games legitimately, but now with the announcement of Shenmue I and II HD, do you guys reckon that we're set for a price crash?

Obviously I don't think they'll ever fall to pre-III prices seeing as the games could be considered collectable items now, but as somebody who doesn't have their original copies anymore, it would be nice if they became a bit more affordable.

I think it'll be interesting to see what effect the remasters have here.

the prices of shenmue 1 and 2 already dropped a lot before the hd announcement.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby redline » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:28 pm

prices have dropped on ebay-uk to quite a reasonable price now. £20 - 30 (before they were £40-60)

imo when shenmue HD comes out, the demand for the dreamcast version will drop off.

redline has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Superrayman3 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:10 pm

redline wrote: prices have dropped on ebay-uk to quite a reasonable price now.
Did not know that I'll. go have a look and see if there's a copy of I & II I can get ahold of, god knows I've owned many copies of the PAL DC version of II (about 5-6 give or take maybe 7 but that might be stretching it a bit too much) and I've happily helped quite a few Shenmue fans out in my lifetime with those copies so I think it's time I finally had my own copy to keep.

redline wrote:imo when shenmue HD comes out, the demand for the dreamcast version will drop off.
Which may potentially cause the prices of the Dreamcast version to drop sure, but it could have the opposite effect if the HD release isn't well received due to technical issues (hopefully such a thing won't happen but you never know for sure) making the prices skyrocket like never before, I'd consider jumping when the game gets closer to release (the prices will probably be somewhat low by then) and waiting to see what happens.
Superrayman3
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 0.400

Postby redline » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:14 pm

Superrayman3 wrote:
redline wrote:imo when shenmue HD comes out, the demand for the dreamcast version will drop off.
Which may potentially cause the prices of the Dreamcast version to drop sure, but it could have the opposite effect if the HD release isn't well received due to technical issues (hopefully such a thing won't happen but you never know for sure) making the prices skyrocket like never before..

im willing to bet my dojo avatar that the original games will never sky rocket after the release of shnmueHD. the average gamer is not a purest and just want to play games they missed /revisit in the most convenient way possible.
(ill change my dojo pic to a poo emoji if im wrong)
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonoshee » Wed May 02, 2018 3:30 am

Interesting topic! I think collectors will still want to have them so in that regard I couldn't see a massive change.

Same thing with Panzer Dragoon Saga; even if we were ever to see a port, I don't see the price plummeting substantially either.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jibby » Wed May 02, 2018 12:19 pm

I am inclined to agree with most of you guys; I don't see them ever falling back to what they were before Shenmue III was announced. But I would be genuinely surprised if we don't see them falling a fair bit at least. They are undeniably collectors pieces now with Shenmue becoming a relevant franchise again, but at the same time I think that demand for the Dreamcast originals is going to drop off a lot due to the fact that there's a cheaper and more convenient way to play them now, in turn lowering the price.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby RunningBear » Sat May 19, 2018 2:32 am

Why would anyone want to collect the dreamcast version now that you can get it in HD ? Besides for the pretty box art it's going to be worse in everyway..... . Don't people realize that their going to die someday? Are you going to take the collectibles with you in the afterlife? Lol......
RunningBear
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Jibby » Sat May 19, 2018 9:38 am

RunningBear wrote:Don't people realize that their going to die someday? Are you going to take the collectibles with you in the afterlife? Lol......

You're right, I better get rid of every non-essential thing I enjoy. After all, I'm just going to die one day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: Anthony817, Truck_1_0_1_
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Sat May 19, 2018 9:44 am

Jibby wrote:
RunningBear wrote:Don't people realize that their going to die someday? Are you going to take the collectibles with you in the afterlife? Lol......

You're right, I better get rid of every non-essential thing I enjoy. After all, I'm just going to die one day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why even live? you're just going to die anyway.

south carmain has received 4 thanks from: Anthony817, Hyo Razuki, Jibby, VukBZ2005
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Next

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release