New Shenmue HD footage from PC GAMER show

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: New Shenmue HD footage from PC GAMER show

Postby Sappharad » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Yeah I'm not sure the character fades in, just that Ryo is obscuring them for the first part of that shot.

Okay, false alarm.

I downloaded the high quality version and stepped through it frame by frame. It was just a video compression artifact from YouTube, he comes into view kind of blurry for the first couple of frames. Now I see there's even a guy walking down from the top of the stairs on the right too, so the NPCs are definitely visible from a fair distance away. No pop in, sorry for the mistake.

I hope someone else does a more detailed comparison. Looks like there might be some better motion blur during the Chai fight?
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Amir » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:05 pm

Looks like they have character shadows working in Shenmue II; wondering if they'll have the stencil shadows from the Xbox version as they said this port is based on that version?
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:14 pm

Amir wrote: Looks like they have character shadows working in Shenmue II; wondering if they'll have the stencil shadows from the Xbox version as they said this port is based on that version?

I think D3T's Allan confirmed this when he briefly dropped in. I swear I've seen it a few screens too.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sappharad » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:30 pm

For reference, here are the titles shown in the Sega PC trailer that dropped today along with their PC release dates. I initially wondered if they might be in sequential order hinting at something, but that's not the case as the last 3 are probably in reverse order.

Existing games:
Valkyria Chronicles - November 11, 2014
Bayonetta - April 11, 2017
Vanquish - May 25, 2017
Puyo Puyo Tetris - February 27, 2018

Coming Soon:
Shenmue I & II - TBA (2018)
Shining Resonance Refrain - July 10, 2018

New announcements:
Yakuza Kiwami - TBA
Valkyria Chronicles 4 - October 16, 2018 (Console date, PC TBA?)
Yakuza 0 - August 1st 2018
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby spud1897 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:40 am

Shenmue 1 and 2 HD are looking crisp. Can't wait for a release date. Gutted they didn't announce it at E3 but given the Tweet from Oliver at Koch Media it would suggest a joint announcement on all 3 games coming soon, which is a good idea in my eyes as it creates buzz for all the games.

I am just impatient and want to play it now!
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby Kiske » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:44 am

The footage is as good as it is short.

I'm loving it despite the Youtube compression.

Most of all, I feel reassured about the screen ratio. 16:9 seems to be secured for both Shenmue I & II.

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: James Brown, KidMarine
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Well something at E3 after all. Looks quite nice in the trailer, everything widescreen and carefully improved lighting.
Not much but promising bits, good enough for now.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Esppiral » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Spaghetti wrote: 16:9 cutscene footage from the original game there, FYI.

Always pays to have a little faith. 8)

I am pretty sure those cutscenes from Shenmue I are cropped.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Kiske » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Esppiral wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: 16:9 cutscene footage from the original game there, FYI.

Always pays to have a little faith. 8)

I am pretty sure those cutscenes from Shenmue I are cropped.

I think you are right.

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Under closer inspection, you're right. Guess the "wait and see" saga goes on a bit longer.

Although the framing doesn't look quite as bad cropped as I thought it might, so maybe it's a viable option if they're not going to be able to ship cutscenes from the original Shenmue properly in 16:9.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jibby » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Yep, it does seem to be cropped. Interesting that they'd show that instead of the native 4:3 like in the reveal trailer. To me it suggests that they do eventually plan to sort out 16:9 cutscenes, otherwise they wouldn't be presenting them as such. Whether they are cropped or native, I guess we'll need to wait and see, but fingers crossed for the latter.

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: James Brown, Spaghetti
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sappharad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:35 pm

Jibby wrote:Yep, it does seem to be cropped. Interesting that they'd show that instead of the native 4:3 like in the reveal trailer. To me it suggests that they do eventually plan to sort out 16:9 cutscenes, otherwise they wouldn't be presenting them as such. Whether they are cropped or native, I guess we'll need to wait and see, but fingers crossed for the latter.

Or they're just going to offer an option to show them all as cropped instead of pillarboxed. In another thread closer to the announcement I suggested it would be a compromise I'd be willing to accept just to have 16x9 always, yet they shouldn't need to do it everywhere. They've got the means to review every scene to see if it needs cropping or can be expanded without weirdness, I hope they can do it. If not, I'm actually okay with it cropped, as long as it's optional for the people who still want 4x3.

The stills from the video that Kiske posted look really nice, better than the original batch of screenshots we got.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:36 pm

Sappharad wrote: Not to worry anyone, but you can notice in the new trailer that NPC pop-in is still a thing.
As Ryo is running towards the stairs in Wise Men's Qr, you see the guy in blue on the stairs fade in. Just noticed it when re-watching the trailer.

Guy on the left in the blue shirt walking up the stairs definitely is NOT pop-in. He is just obstructed from view for a moment because of the angle. Ryo is at one point directly behind him at a distance, while he (blue shirt) is on a lower portion of the stairs, so if you are have the camera behind Ryo, as shown, the NPC would be obstructed from view of the camera, as shown.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Anthony817 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:33 pm

Hey folks, it has been noticed that in the new HD version of the games Shenhua and Nozomi aren't blinking in parts that they should be in the original game.

Here are the parts comparing the intro with Shenhua on the original and HD port as well as comparison shots from the new E3 promo video with those of the original versions.

phpBB [video]

Now this is obviously very work in progress alpha footage, and the games aren't finished being worked on so this is all subject to change but just thought a good idea to post over here letting everybody know about it.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby Haruto » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:03 pm

I have seen games form this era clean up insanely well like Final Fantasy XII and some that did not like Yakuza on PS2. Shenmue is by no means the best but it cleans up better than I thought it would. More specifically textures on the models like Ryo's jacket and the other clothing textures. d3t managed to clean them up rather well. Environments always looks crisp and very nice. SEGA has always even to this day excellent at keeping their games have a very clean and crisp look.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release