New PC Screenshots on Steam Page

Postby masterchan777 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:46 pm

masterchan777
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: New PC Screenshots on Steam Page

Postby staplepuffs27 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:59 pm

They look good. Anyone know if Ren's knife is based on a real life model?
staplepuffs27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: staplepuffs27
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Sonic CD

Postby Sappharad » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Oh boy, here we go again. Apologies in advance.

3 of the screenshots that are in the dark / at night look way too bright, like they were taken during the day. Ren from the donation scene, Ryo & Nozomi on the bench, and the scene in Beverly Hills Wharf especially doesn't look as dark as I'd expect.

I really hope the screenshots they just posted are outdated ones and the lighting isn't severely messed up in the ports.

Edit: It has been confirmed via the latest trailer that those screenshots were indeed outdated! The lighting is correct in the July 3rd trailer. (Also, the video I pulled the Dreamcast shots from was too dark)
Last edited by Sappharad on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sappharad has received 4 thanks from: masterchan777, Mr357, Niowiad, Reprise
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Reprise » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Sappharad wrote: Oh boy, here we go again. Apologies in advance.

3 of the screenshots that are in the dark / at night look way too bright, like they were taken during the day. Ren from the donation scene, Ryo & Nozomi on the bench, and the scene in Beverly Hills Wharf especially doesn't look as dark as I'd expect.

I really hope the screenshots they just posted are outdated ones and the lighting isn't severely messed up in the ports.

Well spotted! I thought something looked off about that scene and shot.

Hmm... Weird. Also, why are the Shenmue 2 shots still letter boxed?
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Centrale » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:31 pm

This one looks like the best of the lot to me.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Yea forget all the positives.

New screenshots arrive, So let's get out the red pens and clip boards and get stuck in with the negativity. It's sad. It really is.

Peter has received 3 thanks from: Anonymous81, RiGoRmOrTiS, SledgeNE
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby masterchan777 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Peter wrote: Yea forget all the positives.

New screenshots arrive, So let's get out the red pens and clip boards and get stuck in with the negativity. It's sad. It really is.

I wouldn't worry much about it because those could very possibly be from a beta build, many things usually get fixed and optimised before release, and can even be patched after release as well.

masterchan777 has received a thanks from: Peter
masterchan777

Postby Wolfgame » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:46 pm

So far I feel pretty good about the direction of the HD collection, I can of course see the difference when screen shots are side by side. I don't think they have presented anything yet that has me concerned.

Wolfgame has received 2 thanks from: Peter, TheTimeRanger
Wolfgame

Postby Peter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:47 pm

masterchan777 wrote:

I wouldn't worry much about it because those could very possibly be from a beta build, many things usually get fixed and optimised before release, and can even be patched after release as well.

They could be, but the negative band wagon never lead with that. Hell, don't even look at any bigger picture or take all possibilities into account. It's the absolute definition of can't win. Ask Sega for 15 years for remasters that don't come. Bastards. Remasters announced and promoted. NO don't release the game like this!!!! It doesn't look right wah wah wah.

Wolfgame wrote:

So far I feel pretty good about the direction of the HD collection, I can of course see the difference when screen shots are side by side. I don't think they have presented anything yet that has me concerned.

Exactly. It looks fine. Nit picking for the sake of it just reeks of arrogance and entitlement, especially at £30 for both games. There's just no pleasing people.

Peter has received a thanks from: RiGoRmOrTiS
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby GYO6161 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:10 pm

After the d3t developer told us they fixed Shenhua's eyes in this forum i wouldn't worry. I'm sure d3t is very aware. Hell Its probably already fixed and that's a photo of a old outdated build

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: TheTimeRanger
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:18 pm

GYO6161 wrote:Hell Its probably already fixed and that's a photo of a old outdated build

The Cool Z shot is at least. That same screen surfaced on the Japanese Shenmue I & II website when it opened in April.

So y'know, maybe we should wait for SEGA to announce what they've got to announce, and show what they've got to show.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:43 am

That's literally the state of online communities these days. They feed on negativity, a lot of it is bait though, people looking to annoy or people who subconsciously crave attention and know they'll get it if they are overly negative or edgy. Bit like journalists these days know if they drum up negativity they'll get clicks, just look at the big deal they are trying to make out of the preliminary 100gb storage spec, like it's a sign of irreconcilable development troubles. That's internet culture in general. Bring back the early 2000's when the majority of people weren't really heavily invested in online communities and those who were, were more polite and quite frankly reasonable.

And the screenshots look fine.

RiGoRmOrTiS has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:49 am

Not to mention, as great as the emulation that's out today is for Dreamcast, it isn't perfect. So I would want to see direct comparisons to the game running on Dreamcast before making that call personally. Granted, I prefer my blacks to be inky black (since I'm a product of the CRT era,) but only if that's accurate to the devs' intent. And since I don't have access to the game on DC or an ideal display, I don't know what those scenes are "supposed" to look like.

Also keep in mind, they aren't using a wrapper. They're porting the actual source code to x86 from PPC RISC. So it's also conceivable changes have had to be made here and there, though it appears they've striven to keep them as minimal as possible. Look at the reflections on the blade in that screenshot. Clearly either the emulation is different to the original, or this remastered port is. Either way, differences between the emulated version and this aren't too surprising imo.

And frankly, the emulated screenshot shown looks too dark, and not because of good contrast, since the color contrast still looks more vibrant in the port shot imo. I don't remember the game looking that dark back in the day, but it's been quite a long while since I've played it on DC so as I said, I can't tell.

All I know is it looks like these ports are coming fairly soon and I'm excited beyond measure for them.

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: punkmanced
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Sappharad » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:06 am

Anonymous81 wrote: And frankly, the emulated screenshot shown looks too dark, and not because of good contrast, since the color contrast still looks more vibrant in the port shot imo. I don't remember the game looking that dark back in the day, but it's been quite a long while since I've played it on DC so as I said, I can't tell.

You're right! I pulled the comparison frames from Mr357's Shenmue 2 movie, and I forgot there was a known problem with the entire thing being too dark on one of the YouTube uploads. Sorry about that.

We're having another discussion about this somewhere where it won't bother anyone, and someone pointed out the same thing and posted a hardware shot for comparison. I don't want to hotlink it here for obvious reasons, but you can still make out the wall textures in the background in the hardware shot unlike my comparison. The wall textures are still far brighter in the new shots, but there's a noticeable difference. I'll see if I can get proper footage (unfortunately not in HD) and update the comparisons above in case people are hotlinking the images elsewhere. But...

Ultimately it doesn't matter, so I'll drop further discussion on this issue. I still think it was worth pointing out the differences from a factual standpoint, and I look forward to seeing more comparisons made between the different versions of the game after release!

Sappharad has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby DigitalDuck » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:05 am

Sappharad wrote:We're having another discussion about this somewhere where it won't bother anyone, and someone pointed out the same thing and posted a hardware shot for comparison. I don't want to hotlink it here for obvious reasons, but you can still make out the wall textures in the background in the hardware shot unlike my comparison. The wall textures are still far brighter in the new shots, but there's a noticeable difference. I'll see if I can get proper footage (unfortunately not in HD) and update the comparisons above in case people are hotlinking the images elsewhere. But...

Well since it was me:

For what it's worth I don't see a problem with pointing out things like this - it's not as though the sentiment was "IT'S VERY SLIGHTLY BRIGHTER THAN IT SHOULD BE I'M NOT BUYING IT NOW", it was clearly a case of "I wish the brightness was more in line with the original games, shame it's not quite as amazing as it could be". I think we all want this collection to be the best it can be.

On the other hand, it's also something that can be relatively easily fixed with mods. I also plan on writing a save converter so saves from Shenmue II can be imported into Shenmue III in some form (possibly with some implicit pawning of capsule toys etc.) as that's my biggest problem with the collection. (Note that the idea of "different engines" preventing this is utter rubbish - Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and Sonic Advance don't even have the same number of dimensions in their engines and you can still transfer things from one to the other. The reasons for not supporting save transfers are that of intercompany communication and licensing, nothing more.)

So I wouldn't worry too much about minor problems - we can fix those ourselves.
DigitalDuck
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: DuckProgrammer
Currently playing: Life

Next

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release