New PC Screenshots on Steam Page

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: New PC Screenshots on Steam Page

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:39 am

That Ren scene appeared in the trailer that dropped yesterday, FYI. With what looks like basically the same brightness levels "as it should be".

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: DigitalDuck, Kiske, Niowiad
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DigitalDuck » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:43 am

Looks good to me. :mrgreen:
DigitalDuck
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: DuckProgrammer
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life

Postby Supa » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:18 am

Microsoft had an extra picture of Chai in the You Arcade:

Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kiske » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:33 am

Here are a few screen captures from the trailer released on July 3rd.

The Shenmue I & II gallery with official screenshots and screen captures from the various trailers, if anyone is interested:
https://imgur.com/a/37MHiG1
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sappharad » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:50 am

Spaghetti wrote:That Ren scene appeared in the trailer that dropped yesterday, FYI. With what looks like basically the same brightness levels "as it should be".

Yeah, I just noticed that this morning after re-watching the trailer again. It looks perfect there. The screenshots are definitely old. I've edited my original post to reflect the mistake.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby asdfguy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:22 pm

I'm not liking the soft, hazy, glow to Shenmue 1. It looks washed out. The fog is making the distant objects appear brighter than they are. If I remember correctly, this was not an issue with the Dreamcast version.

asdfguy

Postby Mr357 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:13 pm

Kiske wrote: Here are a few screen captures from the trailer released on July 3rd.

The Shenmue I & II gallery with official screenshots and screen captures from the various trailers, if anyone is interested:

This is what you might call "artistic liberties."

Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby asdfguy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Mr357 wrote:
Kiske wrote: Here are a few screen captures from the trailer released on July 3rd.

This is what you might call "artistic liberties."

https://i.imgur.com/Yo4Yggo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yS6CfpK.jpg

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT! The blur effect makes everything looks washed out. It takes away the Shenmue feeling. And why can't D3T make a better looking A button.
asdfguy

Postby GYO6161 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:51 pm

It doesn't bother me. It certainly isn't as blown out as Shenmue 2 on Xbox was. The PC version would probably have a toggle to disable it for those that don't like it. Would be nice to have one for the Consoles too.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Centrale » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:56 pm

asdfguy wrote:
And why can't D3T make a better looking A button.

:lol: It's the A button from the Xbox One controller. I think D3T would need access to Microsoft's manufacturing chain to have any effect on its design.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby asdfguy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Centrale wrote:
asdfguy wrote:
And why can't D3T make a better looking A button.

:lol: It's the A button from the Xbox One controller. I think D3T would need access to Microsoft's manufacturing chain to have any effect on its design.

The ABXY button is not patented and it doesn't belong to Microsoft. Unlike PlayStation's Cross, Triangle, Square and Circle, which is patented by Sony.

They could just make the button look more colourful. The gradient they used is painfully bad.\

Edit: I just added the A button from the Xbox version of Shenmue 2. It's a lot better than the HD version.

asdfguy

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:34 pm

I think Centrale was pointing out they're using button designs that correspond to XBO controllers.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jibby » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:40 pm

Bear in mind that the QTE prompts are a tiny change that a lot of new players won't even think twice about. I showed the trailer to my friend who's a very casual Shenmue fan and he reacted with something along the lines of "oooh, I like those clean looking QTE buttons".

Classic prompts would be cool for old fans like us, but it's ultimately unimportant and only looks so out of place because it's not what we're used to as longtime players. It's not "painfully bad" by any stretch.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:49 pm

asdfguy wrote:The ABXY button is not patented and it doesn't belong to Microsoft. Unlike PlayStation's Cross, Triangle, Square and Circle, which is patented by Sony.

They could just make the button look more colourful. The gradient they used is painfully bad.\

Edit: I just added the A button from the Xbox version of Shenmue 2. It's a lot better than the HD version.

^ Nope, IMO the less noticeable the button input is the less intrusive to the overall cinematic effect and more immersive will the game be. For gameplay purposes, we are not going to gaze intently at how colorful and pretty a virtual button is.

Anyway, the HD games look pretty on point to me. If you want to look at another perspective, this is the first time we are going to have Shenmue 1 playable in a modern console after nearly 20 years. Might as well be a brand new game to most as even at the Dreamcast's peak, many never have even heard of Shenmue outside the core Dreamcast gamers. After all, this is not a Street Fighter collection where you could pick a port from any console ever released and decide a best version to choose from. This is kind of a miracle from Sega, who basically abandoned the IP in favor of Yakuza have not for the success of the Kickstarter. So having said that, I will overlook any artistic liberty d3t might take as this is not being made by Yu Suzuki and I'm fine playing a fresh take on these games as it is kind of the point of these remasters.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby TheThirdComing » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:05 am

*member suspended for a week for ignoring moderation's request to leave the subject of a locked thread alone*

*post deleted to prevent other members ignoring this directive too*
TheThirdComing
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release