RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED: Shenmue 1 & 2 will launch 21/8/18!

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED: Shenmue 1 & 2 will launch 21/8/

Postby masterchan777 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:11 am

BlueCreeperBoy12 wrote: Maybe the cutscenes are prerendered?

Having pre-rendered cutscenes can be a good thing, I can already imagine the PC version being easily modded with pre-rendered widescreen cutscenes obtained from high-res emulated originals :mrgreen:
masterchan777
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:15 am

Spaghetti wrote:
BlueCreeperBoy12 wrote:Except 30GB of space. Maybe the cutscenes are prerendered?

Wouldn't make sense with the time of day/MAGIC weather considerations.

Maybe they just have really really really really really high quality music. It doesn't look like the models and textures have changed much.
Or perhaps it's just a placeholder value.
BlueCreeperBoy12

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby masterchan777 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:20 am

With all the exciting news and announcements, I hope Peter could manage to find some spare time for a dojo stream tonight ..
masterchan777

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:43 am

masterchan777 wrote: With all the exciting news and announcements, I hope Peter could manage to find some spare time for a dojo stream tonight ..

No stream tonight, but there will be on Thursday.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: masterchan777
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby staplepuffs27 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:52 am

So, just to confirm, anytime they show a Shenmue 2 cutscene without that border, it's just zoomed in right? Because I haven't seen any Shenmue 2 scenes with the border. I remember some members pretty confident that Shenmue 2 was fully widescreen.
Last edited by staplepuffs27 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
staplepuffs27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: staplepuffs27
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Sonic CD

Postby Peter » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:52 am

masterchan777 wrote: With all the exciting news and announcements, I hope Peter could manage to find some spare time for a dojo stream tonight ..

I had given it some thought in the run up to today, but not only am i up to my eyes (busy day!!) but The Cyberbear has made it his thing to have a Twitch stream on Tweetathon day. I would encourage everyone to check him out at the below!

http://www.twitch.tv/thecyberbear

Peter has received 2 thanks from: masterchan777, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Suzuki Yu » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:59 am

Spaghetti wrote: Yes. Gamescom starts the 21st of August.

The FAQ seems to imply camera control. Would be interested in hearing some elaboration on that.

controlling the camera in that phrase just means during your basic control not that it it has a new control or something.

sadly they didn't specify how is the quality of the sounds/music? or are we going to have any passport features like ranking?
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Suzuki Yu wrote:controlling the camera in that phrase just means during your basic control not that it it has a new control or something.

I guess that makes sense.

There was that rotating free cam shot in the reveal video though, but if the game really did have free cam they might have made a bigger deal of it in the FAQ.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby darksniper » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:23 pm

Is this available for Preorder on PSN? I'm going to get the physical copies, but in the USA it's highly doubtful there are any stores that will be selling this at midnight. To my knowledge the only way to start playing these at midnight is to preorder the digital version.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Fluffball » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:35 pm

Really excited over the prospects of replaying Shenmue without glitches on pc,I haven't replayed Shenmue for a number of years now but happy I can now replay my favourite series whilst knowing I’ll actually be able to get out of that cave!

I appreciate peters sentiment that we must all remain positive and we have all been waiting for these HD remasters for quite some time but I agree with other people’s concerns about jarring cutscene aspect ratio issues etc.

I suspect in whatever condition these ports release in they will not be 100% without a few patches after launch...as with most titles these days,especially remasters of old like the recent chrono trigger port which the developers managed to fix due to fans complaints.

Now the main thing I am disappointed with is they didn’t redo the textures? The character modules look fine and there’s obviously some filtering going on to clean the game up but these Dreamcast era textures do standout and out of all possible additions I could think of to add to a Shenmue remaster,redoing the textures would far and away be no.1.

Take the FFX remaster for example ,a game from the same era,looks dramatically better due to the HD texture swaps,I know d3t is no square Enix in terms of scale and budget etc but was it too much to ask to give Shenmue more love and respect and give it the treatment it and all of us deserve?

I thought the original Shenmue raw assests were reaching into the terabytes of uncompressed textures & music,were they destroyed or lost?
Fluffball
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:43 pm

Fluffball wrote:I thought the original Shenmue raw assests were reaching into the terabytes of uncompressed textures & music,were they destroyed or lost?

They were ultimately still making a Dreamcast game. If you'll see Jibby's post here: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=51699&start=120

- you'll notice the building texture behind Tom appears sharper and clearer than the 1080p emulated counterpart. Whether that's just down to post processing or genuinely a higher res texture is unknown, but the leap forward on the texture front was never going to be staggering.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby TheThirdComing » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:26 pm

https://gematsu.com/2018/07/shenmue-i-i ... -august-21

Is the game 4:3 or widescreen?

Gameplay where the player can control the camera is 16:9.

Cutscenes are letterboxed in their original formats.

Devistated.

TheThirdComing has received a thanks from: Mr357
TheThirdComing

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Fluffball » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:38 pm

Spaghetti wrote:you'll notice the building texture behind Tom appears sharper and clearer

Lol that’s weird they are using a different clown texture,I guess when zoomed in it appears slightly better?

On the whole it looks fine but for example when ryo and nazomi are in the park the tree textures REALLY stand out,if the original assests were lost which appears to be the case would it of been out of the question for them to of hired a single artist over the last year or however long they have been working on these ports to of redone Shenmues basic textures?

Hopefully,at least on the pc someone with enough skills will be able to swap out the textures,hell if we managed to inject custom textures into the Dreamcast original,having access to the source files on x86 should make it a breeze?
Fluffball
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby abaww » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Just bought it on Steam. \:D/ Also there are already keys for steam available on sales for about 24€: https://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-she ... re-prices/
abaww
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: abaww

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:45 pm

I'm a little disappointed the voice acting still sounds very tinny in the trailer that just came out. Otherwise, looks great.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release