Adam Koralik explains the re-releases (4:3, audio etc)

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Adam Koralik explains the re-releases (4:3, audio etc)

Postby Peter » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:21 pm

Answers to the questions we have had for a while now are answered as in depth as Adam can explain, including why the cutscenes are in 4:3, what type of audio is being used, which builds of the game are being used and more. Check it out in the video below, and keep the negativity to a minimum please. Bear in mind these games, along with Shenmue 3 were regarded as a sheer miracle a few years ago.

phpBB [video]

Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Adam Koralik explains the re-releases (4:3, audio etc)

Postby Valascaziel » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:44 pm

He did a nice job explaining that the assets just weren't there for the cutscene ratio. I don't think it'll be that jarring to be honest.

I had no idea the original game was so intensive and complicated in coding. It sounds like it was a miracle to port it at all...

It still astounds me that after years upon years of pleading, nearly $7 million invested in a sequel they have no involvement with that SEGA would be so afraid a re-release would not yield them a return from passionate fans.

I really, really hope this wakes them up and a proper in-house Shenmue IV comes alive for PS5(let's face it, that's where it'll end up if it comes).
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby redline » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:46 pm

save anywhere in the game sounds good.

using s2 xbox version.. not so good.

redline has received a thanks from: Reprise
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:50 pm

If anyone is unhappy with the audio, look at it this way. You have traded upgraded audio for a full Japanese dub to play through. Id take it any day.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Axm » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:02 pm

So happy to be able to play in Japanese with English subtitles.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:03 pm

I knew compressed audio was what we were getting. While it's known Sega still has Ryo's English lines uncompressed i highly doubt they also have every single uncompressed line from the close to one a thousand NPCs throughout both games in both languages so its understandable.

GYO6161 has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, Spaghetti
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Axm » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:03 pm

So happy to be able to play in Japanese with English subtitles.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby punkmanced » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:07 pm

^ Would you by any chance be happy to be able to play in Japanese with English subtitles?

punkmanced has received 6 thanks from: Benwah, Hazuki00, Reprise, SheepheadCG, Supa, Switch
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Telekill » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:48 pm

No negativity from me. I would have been happy with a straight port of the Dreamcast versions. Instead, we're getting both games with cross save compatibility (something I've never experienced living in America). We get gameplay in widescreen format. We get full 1080p HD resolutions. We get both English and Japanese voice overs (if you're into that). We're getting a new UI and a secondary modern control scheme.

WE GET SHENMUE 1 & 2 ON MODERN SYSTEMS!

How awesome is it to be a Shenmue fan!? Pretty f**king awesome!

I can't wait.

From the sounds of it, we're lucky to be getting these on newer systems at all considering the coding nightmare. Hats off to the guys that had to deal with that mess.

Telekill has received a thanks from: iyapol
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Amir » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:52 pm

Curious as to why the file size is so big for the 2 games (30GB). Even with some of the assets being available in HD and dual audio, I'd still only expect it to be max. 15GB?
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Telekill » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:12 pm

Amir wrote: Curious as to why the file size is so big for the 2 games (30GB). Even with some of the assets being available in HD and dual audio, I'd still only expect it to be max. 15GB?

Where did you get the file size?
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Centrale » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:14 pm

Telekill wrote: Where did you get the file size?

That's the current figure on Steam. A Sega rep has said that it's possibly subject to change.

Centrale has received a thanks from: Telekill
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:15 pm

Telekill wrote:
Amir wrote: Curious as to why the file size is so big for the 2 games (30GB). Even with some of the assets being available in HD and dual audio, I'd still only expect it to be max. 15GB?

Where did you get the file size?

It's the minimum requirement on Steam. That said, the minimum requirement is often a little greater than the file size (free space required for paging etc.).

Amir has received a thanks from: Telekill
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:16 pm

He forgot to mention Achievements and Trophies! Thats most important right? (Being Satirical) :-"
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:21 pm

This is a fantastic and explanatory video. Gotta love Adam. Although I will very slightly (and respectfully lol) split hairs and disagree dialectically and semantically with him in saying it's "not even really a remaster." In my nomenclature, coming from the audio world, a remaster means taking original premaster source material, without changing them at all, and taking them through higher resolution audio converters, digitizing them if you're working with older media (which is a bit like porting I suppose lol,) maybe alter the mix slightly (change the arrangement via pan, maybe duplicate some tracks if need be, basically just making things clearer and sweeter, bring things up in the mix or down etc. etc.) possibly use new compression if you can get away with it without destroying dynamic range, etc. You might add new effects, like new reverb since effects technology tends to improve (which to me is akin to them adding new post processing effects to the game,) and all of this is done sparingly and carefully so as not to change the original audio at all, but just make things as good as they can be using newer technology.

Imo, this is precisely what they've done with Shenmue here. So, for ME, that's a remaster. Anything beyond would be a remake, and anything less would just be a straight port. I know not everyone agrees with that nomenclature, and I totally respect that. But for me, these are absolutely remasters. And not only that, but true remasters, rather than the quasi-remakes which keep getting called remasters (looks at Spyro lol.) Ironically though, it's the audio in this release which hasn't been remastered lol.

But ALL of that having been said, great video from Adam I will share around online to try and inform people with questions about these things!
Last edited by Anonymous81 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous81 has received 4 thanks from: Jibby, Let's Get Sweaty, mikec_ct, Reprise
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Next

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release