New Info + Details of S1&2 from Adam Koralik (7th July)

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

New Info + Details of S1&2 from Adam Koralik (7th July)

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:05 pm

phpBB [video]

+ Bloom optional (enabling/disabling motion blur not confirmed yet)
+ Supports original resolution (480p) alongside higher resolution (1080p)
+ Gameplay sections playable in original 4:3 alongside widescreen
+ Fast loading times (1-2 seconds on base ps4/xb1 hardware)
- No micro-transactions
- No passport disc :*-( (alongside online features like leaderboards)
- No ingame product-placement

More videos+information coming soon from Adam and the official SEGA Europe channels
Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlagshipFighter has received 6 thanks from: Amir, James Brown, Jibby, Peter, punkmanced, Telekill
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Re: New Info + Details of S1&2 from Adam Koralik (7th July)

Postby Amir » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:59 pm

Good to hear about fast loading times on base PS4/XB1; I was worried about lack of space on my PC SSD for both these remasters AND Shenmue III, but if the load times for the remasters are that fast I can just install them on my hard drive and then install III on the SSD when it comes out.

I'll likely play Shenmue I in 4:3 to avoid shifting aspect ratios, but I'm still not sure what to do for Shenmue II...

Amir has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Amir » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:09 pm

I wonder what the substitute for Sapporo drinks will be? Maybe just replaced with Jet Cola machines?
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby GYO6161 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:39 pm

1-2 seconds of loading is impressive, way shorter than on GDEMU or on a emulator but i don't know i hope new players can read all the loading screen info in time i guess lol.

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby James Brown » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:42 pm

Interesting info! The loading stuff, I guess was a given, but hearing that it'll be virtually non existent really makes you aware of how great of an experience that will make the game!

I'm disappointed about the omission of the Passport features, I understand the online stuff would be difficult to replicate, and obviously they wouldn't want to pay for servers for something like that in this remaster, but there was some decent offline stuff aswell, like being able to collect and view cutscenes as you progressed and a couple of trailers, and also all of the music in a nice jukebox set up...and obviously the infamous Passport models, for tutorials :P...Also the online stuff is still reachable through workarounds, so with a bit more time and effort perhaps they would have liked to have stripped all that stuff away from the online and made it offline viewable.

I hope that there's a few more secrets left to be discovered. I'd love a unlockables area to make up for this, perhaps bonus concept art, or early trailers / footage as unlockables from earning each achievement - 1 per achievement? With them keeping the camera options for Shenmue 2, i'm assuming that the comic pages will still be unlockable, and I hope atleast that the Shenmue 2 museum is left intact :)

It's not the end of the world anyways, I couldn't be more hyped for this still, it's going to be incredible! Thanks for the info flag!

James Brown has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Switch
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:26 pm

What's left to reveal? Possible PS4 Pro or Xbox X Native 4K/30FPS I guess.

Sucks about Passport...but it is to be expected, I guess..I feel like they cut a few corners they really didn't need to here.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby King John Blaze » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:41 pm

How about the bloody release date.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Jibby » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:53 pm

King John Blaze wrote: How about the bloody release date.

What?
It's the 21st of August. They announced that on the 3rd.

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, James Brown
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:14 pm

@Amir I'm going to try Shenmue out in both aspect ratios, but I think 16:9 will be fine. I've been playing so many older/retro/backcompat titles that 4:3 gameplay/cut-scenes don't really both me as much as it used to, I just accept it as an classical quirk/trait of an era (as I do with old 4:3 movies like The 39 Steps) then I do as a negative.

What would be distracting for me personally is if S2's graphics were bleeding on the [left & right] edge on the black borders on the bottom of the 4:3 frame. But as long as nothing is visible outside/around the border: it'll be fine. I don't think it will either, especially now that it supports scaling resolutions.

@GYO6161 Yeah, insane. 1-2 seconds sounds like a good amount of time to me (usually the title of the loaded area and time is what I check, as well as just enjoying the music that comes with it).

@SkillJim Yeah, this one was gutting for me to hear as it is the first actual omission from the original release's content (I suppose ingame product placement is technically an omission too but we don't really know to what extent just yet and it personally doesn't seem critical in my experience with the game with how little you see that stuff).

BUT I am really hoping SOME aspects of that (like maybe the jukebox/stats tracking and cutscene viewer) is relegated to being a normal menu option for you to to select/experience. And hopefully this game will have it's own extra's/bonuses unique to this version.

@Valascaziel Pro/X support would be great if they did manage to get around to do it (it didn't sound like it when someone mentioned it to the dev here last time. At the same time: it does still mention "scaleable resolutions" for the consoles features (but this could denote to scaling down to the original 480p resolution and not upwards beyond 1080p)

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: James Brown
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Telekill » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:56 pm

I expected most of this. The only thing I'm a bit disappointed by is the lack of the passport disc. While I understand the "why" behind it, I always thought it would have been cool to implement the VMU aspect of it with the Playstation App or even my paperweight Vita. Having the biographies would have also been nice to include. Oh well.

As for being able to switch aspect ratios... that's pretty cool if I'm feeling nostalgic for the 4:3 Dreamcast ratio. That said, no amount of nostalgia would make me purposefully downgrade the resolution to standard def if I had HD available. I'm not even sure why that's an option.

James Brown wrote: I hope that there's a few more secrets left to be discovered.

I think it would a cool secret if they added new capsule toys of each Sega system starting with the SG-1000 going to the golden era of Game Gear and Genesis and ending with the Dreamcast for a full set of Sega goodness.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby punkmanced » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:11 pm

So...I guess Jet Cola has cornered the market then?
Kind of expected but still... looks like my JP copies of Shenmue 1 aren't going anywhere.

Considering the bevy of optional features/ toggles they're including (a good thing), I do hope that motion blur will be among those that you can switch off.

Finally, the passport disc. Well...I'm a bit bummed out. It would've been nice to keep at least certain aspects of it as a bonus.

I'm hoping that things will continue to be worked on post-release. If the sales numbers are surprising Sega that much, then perhaps some additional features will pop up with patches. At least that's the dream.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby spud1897 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:15 am

The passport disc would have been nice but it isn't a massive issue and who says it couldn't be patched in later? This is where I get shot down.....

I'm pleased with the information so far. Wonder what is left to hear. We are only 5-6 weeks from release now so there can't be that much more?
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release