Shenmue 1 time skip?

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Shenmue 1 time skip?

Postby BruceWayne911 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:11 pm

In Shenmue 2 we had the ability to fast forward time to move the story along. Do you think Sega will give us this option in Shenmue 1 remastered?
BruceWayne911
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Re: Shenmue 1 time skip?

Postby GYO6161 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:28 pm

GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:26 am

Did anyone else ever stand beside Ryo's bed clock watchin til 20:00?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby xatruio » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:39 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Did anyone else ever stand beside Ryo's bed clock watchin til 20:00?

Way back in my impatient youth--it was my first couple play-throughs while still addicted to the action and story, rather than appreciating the slower aspects. Once I played it a few times and matured, now the days aren't long enough! Same goes for Shenmue 2; took until the 3rd or 4th play to stop using time skip because I wasn't quite as hooked in for the story.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Centrale » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:17 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Did anyone else ever stand beside Ryo's bed clock watchin til 20:00?

I always stayed out as late as possible, usually by playing an arcade game. Then, of course, Ine-san would guilt me the next morning. It would be funny if some kind of consequence was tied to this behavior... like if you keep worrying Ine-san, Ryo grows a moustache.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Robfozz » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Honestly I wish Shenmue 2 never had time skip, theres so much more to do and see than the first game. But it's so convenient its hard to say no.
Robfozz

PSN: Robfozz_
XBL: Robfozzz
Steam: Robfozz

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:55 pm

It was painful playing the first game after playing Shenmue II for so long. It's a shame time skip isn't part of the re-release for Shenmue, it's a great feature in II. Thankfully, the save anywhere feature should help in some cases as much as a time skip would..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby xatruio » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Yeah, i think the Resume feature being tweaked to Save like in Shenmue 2 will definitely be a perfectly suitable compromise. The story nor mini games--by necessity and realism to Japan rather than Hong Kong--isn't as dense (hence 3 disc; one chapter/one metro area vs. 4 disc; 3 chapters/areas). Skipping would make an already somewhat small, shorter game much too quick.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:59 pm

Robfozz wrote:Honestly I wish Shenmue 2 never had time skip, theres so much more to do and see than the first game.

I agree. But I disagree with it being needed in the first game too.
Personally I could never understand someone wanting to willingly progress things forward. A lot of the charm was in moving at the pace of the world around you. Shenmue rewards with patience. It's almost like the game is teaching the player the same thing that Ryo is having to learn.

Sonoshee has received 3 thanks from: Nankeiro, The_Intruder, xatruio
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby xatruio » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:06 am

Sonoshee wrote:
Robfozz wrote:Honestly I wish Shenmue 2 never had time skip, theres so much more to do and see than the first game.

I agree. But I disagree with it being needed in the first game too.
Personally I could never understand someone wanting to willingly progress things forward. A lot of the charm was in moving at the pace of the world around you. Shenmue rewards with patience. It's almost like the game is teaching the player the same thing that Ryo is having to learn.

couldn't agree more. You truly needed kung fu to master the harder fights and CQTEs. Literally serene as a polished mirror to stay meditative in my breathing and concentration for CQTE and later QTE. Even for Excite arcade game haha (amongst other examples cannot think of off top of mind for the moment).

xatruio has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release