A Gamer's Journey (Shenmue Documentary) goes to Kickstarter

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: A Gamer's Journey (Shenmue Documentary) goes to Kickstar

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Reprise wrote: They really need to promote it more and contact the gaming media to see if they will run pieces on this. Maybe even some of the more general Sega fansites... Just saying... again.

The only places I've seen it posted are on Facebook and in Shenmue groups, which is preaching to the converted really...

How do you know they're not trying? News sites don't just publish everything that drops in their mailbox.

I've seen it plugged a few times on Sega Nerds by the way, which is the only general Sega fan site I visit.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Reprise » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:14 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Reprise wrote: They really need to promote it more and contact the gaming media to see if they will run pieces on this. Maybe even some of the more general Sega fansites... Just saying... again.

The only places I've seen it posted are on Facebook and in Shenmue groups, which is preaching to the converted really...

How do you know they're not trying? News sites don't just publish everything that drops in their mailbox.

I've seen it plugged a few times on Sega Nerds by the way, which is the only general Sega fan site I visit.

True. Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound critical. I'm just incredibly passionate about Shenmue - as we all are of course - and it's disheartening to me to not see this doing better. There's still plenty of time left though, of course.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:18 pm

Whilst the project is still going ahead as fully described in the Kickstarter, the team has some unfortunate news for the 2 top tier backers:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0307145897

To our generous backers and supporters thus far,

We are beyond grateful for all the support and positivity in the responses around our latest trailer and the Kickstarter campaign in general. Seeing the community I’m part of come together behind my dream project has been incredibly inspiring and tells me I wasn’t crazy in my belief that we can indeed make this documentary something special.

However, we have some unfortunate and disappointing news that has emerged in the initial success of our campaign. If the campaign is successful our crew of four-person team will be travelling to Japan to film inside the YSnet studio and we thought we would be able to bring our two top backers - Big Gold Medal Tier backers - with us.

And we cannot.

This is incredibly disappointing for the backers, for us and for Ys Net, but there is no other option here. For legal reasons our visit to Ys Net is limited to our initial four crew members and knowing what we now know, we understand fully and agree that there is no other option. As such, we've had to rework the Big Gold Medal Tier.

We've notified the two top level backers - a sad duty on both sides - and they have withdrawn their pledges, which is why we are now $6666 CAD further away from our goal.

While this sets us back, we're still very early into our campaign and we know we can bounce back. We have over 350 Shenmue fans who’ve already shown their faith in this film and we’re confident we’ll find more fans out there willing to get behind the project and see the final film.

Please know that, despite this setback, nothing has changed in our overall plan. We're still working with Yu-San and YSnet to tell the Definitive History of Shenmue and help preserve its legacy. On the surface this is a fan made documentary about Shenmue, but it is much more than that. It’s a film about how a passionate community of fans - through sheer grit and determination, and despite seemingly impossible odds - were able to keep the spirit alive for 15 years, fans who will finally see their dreams come true.

We go into this campaign in the certain knowledge that we will make the best film possible and we'll share our process, our passion, and sometimes our problems and shortcomings with you, in full transparency.

You’re on this journey with us and we want you to know everything we’re legally able to tell you good, bad and ugly. You've all worked hard helping us get to our goal and I hope you’ll continue to do so.

- Adam, Randall and the Definitive Film crew
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sappharad » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:43 pm

Peter wrote: Whilst the project is still going ahead as fully described in the Kickstarter, the team has some unfortunate news for the 2 top tier backers

On the plus side, he did add a new top tier to replace it and forgot to mention that in the update. It showed up around the same time as the news was posted. Maybe they can come up with some other tier ideas to bring in more funding, but it seems to have recovered mostly. They're almost back to where they were 24 hours ago.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby johnjohnbrem » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:57 am

oliquidrusho wrote:
johnjohnbrem wrote:
xatruio wrote:
johnjohnbrem wrote: I was going to contribute but then I watched that teaser/trailer and that cheesy opening scene changed my mind. That and the fact that it includes a billion talking heads...

Koralik's E3 video with Corey mArshall is cheesy. That wasn't too badly done, really. Also... it is a documentary..... there's suppose to be talking heads haha.

If anything it needs more talking heads--the band!?

Planning to back it Saturday or sometime next week.

It just depends on what you wanna do, or in this case,what you wanna show. James Benning doesn't use talking heads, same with Wang Bing, Peter Hutton, Frederick Wiseman, Gonçalo Tocha and I could go on and on. I get that this is a retrospective but I was expecting something a little different. Talking heads are fine if you wanna do an old-school documentary, but in my opinion that can feel closer to a filmed reportage than to a modern documentary, and that's cool, it's just not for me. I prefer when the images say something, instead of the images just show people sitting talking about something! But hey, I hope they do just fine and reach the 35k!

And yeah, everything is better when you add talking heads, the band!

Let me preface that I absolutely agree that if the preview doesn't float your boat you shouldn't feel compelled to fund this. Totally get that. But you are out of your mind if you're expecting this project to reach the levels of the ELITE documentary filmmakers you just named. Did you even realize how highly of a skewed frame of reference you were going by when you typed that? Those guys you named are some of the best ever. A better comparison would've been to those Netflix documentaries about nostalgia for toys and video games.

Again seriously I get the overall reason you don't want to donate and support that. Just dude, wow just a totally unfair comparison you threw up there.

I'm not comparing those guys to this project, I'm just saying that I prefer their method over a more traditional, interview-based documentary. I'm not comparing them in terms of skill, that would be unfair indeed
johnjohnbrem
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: PUBG

Postby b_ren » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:29 am

Had to donate to this as soon as I seen it. Been looking forward to this documentary for years. Wish them all the best of luck.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby squall » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:42 am

Probably final post on these forums with the new ones coming today...

Just pledged, hope all goes well for the project from here. Looking forward to it!!
squall
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Previous

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release