THE NEW SHENMUE DOJO WILL GO LIVE THIS FRIDAY 27/7

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

THE NEW SHENMUE DOJO WILL GO LIVE THIS FRIDAY 27/7

Postby Peter » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi Everyone!

It's time. Pack those bags, say your fond farewells, and get hyped for the NEW SHENMUE DOJO launching this Friday, 27th July!

The new site now complete, with everything implemented! From a main front news page, interactive widgets and more! Everything is brand new, and built from the ground up, including a new logo, colour scheme, layout.... i could go on, but there's no point spoiling all the fun for you guys!
The new site also retains as much old content as we possibly could in regards to Shenmue media, as well as having new content added or redone. Other aspects of the site... again i will let you explore on your own! I will stress however that as much as we are looking to the future in regards to Shenmue and the Dojo, we will not forget where we have came from, and the 18 year history of this place has been well preserved.

In regards to these forums, this current site which we are all a part of, they will be closing.

Yes, i will say it again. The current PHPBB forums that we have had for over 15 years will be archived. They will be view-able for anyone who wishes to do so for an unspecified period of time, but no new members will be allowed to join, and no new posts or edits will be allowed to be made. Its time to let go of the past, and look to the future. Believe me when i say this was the hardest decision of them all, and not one that was taken lightly! I didnt make the call based on my own decision alone either. I know in my heart that its the right call.

Despite not being on the most up to date version, even the current version of PHPBB just feels old. Out of date. Far too reminiscent of what will soon be the "old" Dojo, and that's not what i want. It sticks out like a sore thumb when held up to the new site, and it's because of that reason, that we have decided to go with XenForo for our new forum software. For those who don't know what XenForo is like, its a forum you would expect a forum to be in 2018. With so many more advanced features, it just feels right with the new site! One of the great feelings i get from it is that it feels "within" the website. Thanks to the theme and the masthead etc, it just feels like you are moving across to the forums rather than being taken to a different URL. It just feels GOOD!

That will mean we will ALL be starting from scratch. You will all need to register new accounts on the new boards once they go live with the new site.

It's a new dawn folks. A new chapter in the history of this website. Shenmue has been revived and so have we. We have come so far on an insane journey, and the ironic thing about it is that we are just getting started...again! Get hype folks!

Shenmue, and the Shenmue Dojo along with it, lives on!

Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: THE NEW SHENMUE DOJO WILL GO LIVE THIS FRIDAY 27/7

Postby Yama » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:17 pm

I'm going to follow up Peter with a huge thanks to all of you for making this site what it has been for all these years. Through darker and now brighter times, a special thanks to those of you who never gave up hope. This is for you, this is what you deserve. It's time to turn the page, but this isn't the end, instead the beginning of something infinitely special that once again I'm honored to be apart of.

The new Shenmue Dojo is in every way a breath of fresh air, just as the series once again is. Every and any vision I once had for the site and most of all community has been put to use and surpassed by the new and talented staff. The Dojo in many ways will serve as a true community hub, bridging communities as one and offering a clear and unified vision for our own identity in the process.

We're excited for you all to make the new Dojo what it should be, after all, without you all it's just a shell. With that I'm going to make this my last post on the Dojo of old, see you all on Friday! The story goes on...

Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby DigitalDuck » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:19 pm

Peter wrote:That will mean we will ALL be starting from scratch. You will all need to register new accounts on the new boards once they go live with the new site.

Oh ffs. It took me 15 years to join here and then you go and scrap everything within a month. :mrgreen:

(this post is not intended to be taken seriously)

DigitalDuck has received 4 thanks from: Kirino_Matsuyama, Peter, spud1897, TheTimeRanger
DigitalDuck
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: DuckProgrammer
Currently playing: Life

Postby PILMAN » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:10 am

I understand your position Peter and I wish this site the best. I have become very attached to the forums considering many of us here were from the very beginning. I am glad you made the decision to archive as there were so many wonderful friends and people i met here. I really hope nothing but the best. It seems the trend has changed to new social media outlets and this forum was a place for us niche living in a loop continuing to play Shenmue praying every year the next e3 would be the day we would see a continuation.

It appears we have indeed made it a reality. Hope to see you all on the other side.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby iyapol » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:44 am

Thank you to Peter and the team for all of your hard work and efforts with the new Dojo. I can't wait to see what you've created on Friday. What a time to be a Shenmue fan - there seems to be something new happening every day. Bring back Shenmue News!
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:48 am

Very exciting! Xenforo is one hell of an upgrade and it's going to bring so many befefits.

Roll on Friday!
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bambi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:29 am

Bambi has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby adom11800 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:42 am

It's been a insane ride but a change can be good. Looking forward to the new layout.

I won't forget the good times we all had, especially back in June 2015 and the amount everyone went through to see Shenmue alive again. All good things come to an end but for new good times to happen.

With Shenmue III and hopefully IV and V, we have a big future ahead.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby SledgeNE » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:29 am

I will miss this forum. So many good memories i have with that. It will be an exciting time for sure that will comes to us. A new adventure with a new Forum. It will be interesting.

Thank you so much for this great time.
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby ManoTemple » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:49 am

This site has been a nice community for quite some time. It was the only place to go to for over a decade to find any rumors/updates concerning S3. I had a username on here a long time ago, but it must've disappeared, being inactive for so long.

Will the new site be a .net or .com?
ManoTemple

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Peter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:55 am

It will be a full .com site with .net redirects (apart from these archives forums, which will remain on .net/forum for the immediate future)
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby ManoTemple » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:53 am

Nice, movin' on up.
ManoTemple

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby xatruio » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:56 am

Despite my decade of solitary Shenmue fandom, will miss my June 2003 join date stamp-of-elitism haha. C'est la vie!

xatruio has received a thanks from: RiGoRmOrTiS
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:55 am

xatruio wrote: Despite my decade of solitary Shenmue fandom, will miss my June 2003 join date stamp-of-elitism haha. C'est la vie!

Yeah I know it's petty but I'd love some kind of exclusive tag or emblem to signify your original join date. Although for some of us that would even be before 2003. I remember the forums before phpBB :)
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby PILMAN » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:55 am

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:
xatruio wrote: Despite my decade of solitary Shenmue fandom, will miss my June 2003 join date stamp-of-elitism haha. C'est la vie!

Yeah I know it's petty but I'd love some kind of exclusive tag or emblem to signify your original join date. Although for some of us that would even be before 2003. I remember the forums before phpBB :)

Same I think it waa under gamespy and then planet something.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue I & II Re-Release