THE NEW SHENMUE DOJO WILL GO LIVE THIS FRIDAY 27/7

(Shenmue I & II Re-Release Discussion)

Re: THE NEW SHENMUE DOJO WILL GO LIVE THIS FRIDAY 27/7

Postby ianpm31 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:07 pm

I am going to miss the old dojo. So many memories... Really wish we could transfer over our join date
Last edited by ianpm31 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ianpm31
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ianpm31 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:08 pm

* weird double post
ianpm31
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Gavan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:18 pm

PILMAN wrote:
Same I think it waa under gamespy and then planet something.

Planet Xbox:

https://web.archive.org/web/20020407152 ... enmuedojo/
Gavan
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby adom11800 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:44 pm

I like the fact that you can still visit these forums if the members wish to do after the launch of the new site.
How long will that be for though, Peter?
adom11800

Postby Peter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:49 pm

Gavan wrote:
PILMAN wrote:

Planet Xbox:

The GameSpy and PlanetXbox hosting were the same thing. PlanetXbox was part of a series of hosting platforms for each dedicated console at the time, under the GameSpy platform. After the last week I have went from someone who knew nothing about the Dojos past, to having a degree in it. The History section of the new site, is my last gift to both the old site and the old Dojo. I owe it to it's heritage.

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:
xatruio wrote: Despite my decade of solitary Shenmue fandom, will miss my June 2003 join date stamp-of-elitism haha. C'est la vie!

Yeah I know it's petty but I'd love some kind of exclusive tag or emblem to signify your original join date. Although for some of us that would even be before 2003. I remember the forums before phpBB :)

ianpm31 wrote: I am going to miss the old dojo. So many memories... Really wish we could transfer over our join date

Believe me guys I am right there with you, and it was not an easy call. Im in the same boat, being here since 2004. It would be good to try and do something, but unfortunately it's just not possible. There are no tools out there to do anything like that. XenForo is XenForo and PHPBB is PHPBB. It's like putting an Xbox One disc in a PS4, or an F1 engine into an '89 Ford Fiesta. There's no compatibility there.

Well all love nostalgia as we get older, but instead of reminiscing about those "good ol' days", I want those good ol''days to just, good days. With the new games, will come new members, and those good ol' days will become present and not past. I've seen reunion topics and the announcement of 3 result in some old faces pop in and it was great. But with the new games, there's no other opportunity to do this other than right now.

I know there will be haters. It's just part and parcel of today's culture. I will always listen, but I know in my heart and in my head that all the right calls have been made for the new site and forums to offer everything needed to both Shenmue fans in general, as well as this community specifically.

adom11800 wrote: I like the fact that you can still visit these forums if the members wish to do after the launch of the new site.
How long will that be for though, Peter?

I haven't given the period of time a lot of thought right now with all the stuff going on. It would be as long as possible, but it can't be forever. The long and short of it is because they will basically be sucking life from the new site. The .net addresses should redirect to the .com domains but in the case of these old forums, that can't happen. That means it's damaging to the new sites Google SEO for starters, plus, its also confusing for any potential new members. It's a balancing act, and for now this seemed like the most feedable option.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby punkmanced » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:10 pm

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote:
xatruio wrote: Despite my decade of solitary Shenmue fandom, will miss my June 2003 join date stamp-of-elitism haha. C'est la vie!

Yeah I know it's petty but I'd love some kind of exclusive tag or emblem to signify your original join date. Although for some of us that would even be before 2003. I remember the forums before phpBB :)

Those were the good old days for sure, back when Andy would actually post. I think a lot of us "2003" members were actually mostly/predominantly active in the 2000-2003 period when the original games were still being released. Shenmue felt like something truly special back then. This odd, neglected gem that looked to the past, yet felt like it had come from the future. One of a kind.

Anyway, really excited for the new site (must have been a Herculean/ stressful endeavor, Peter), but kind of bummed out about the forum news to be honest. Yeah they're a bit clunky, and outdated, but it adds to the charm of the place. Shenmue and 'nostalgia' go hand in hand, and this place was symbolic and emblematic to many.

In any case, both new site and forum will undoubtedly be great. Count me in.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Supa » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:41 pm

Crazy...I'll be there! Shame to see the old forums go, but a new start is also nice. Wonder if there is a way to proerly download an archive of the forums Friday when they close so they can remain seracuable offline?
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:42 pm

I think it's best to avoid feeling too sentimental about the current forum software. If the Dojo had always looked and functioned like this from the start, then that would be one thing. But it has changed before and will eventually change again, I'm sure.

punkmanced wrote:[Shenmue] looked to the past, yet felt like it had come from the future.

I am so stealing that.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby johnjohnbrem » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:03 pm

Looking forward to the new dojo! And to the new profiles, I always felt guilty of lurking for more than a decade before actually joining the forum...
johnjohnbrem
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: PUBG

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:56 pm

Gavan wrote:
PILMAN wrote:

Planet Xbox:

Oh, the nostalgias.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Birty » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:24 pm

Good luck with everything Peter, I can’t wait to see the final result! Count me in, it’s good to look to the future but also proud so say I’ve been part of this community since 2001 and I hope for many more years to come! =D>
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k

Postby Sonikku » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:29 pm

Sonikku has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby PILMAN » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:05 am

Gavan wrote:
PILMAN wrote:

Planet Xbox:

oh man that brought back memories
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby xatruio » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:30 am

Wow! There's not only a blast from the past, but also a bit of revelation. Based on my joined date and loss of memory I'd assumed i never went to the gamespy site. Never joined, but definitely was a visitor and perhaps even forum lurker--who knows!

The shiny new-site-at-the-time was what convinced me to sign-up. Why it took me a month or more to register (current forum and the Hellraiser+LanDC era was launched in April or May 2003?), who knows why; I was a pre-teen FFS, haha. First heard about Shenmue on official Sega forums back in late 2001/2002.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:08 am

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Jibby, RiGoRmOrTiS
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter