Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby OL » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:33 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:What, you mental? Arkham, fool!

Kenny wrote:Arkham City all the way.

Unless you don't want three months sucked away from your life.

I'll seco... um, third that suggestion.
Arkham City was the shit. Such high quality that you completely forget that it's a licensed, comicbook-based game (time was, those two descriptors would immediately suggest the digital equivalent of poop).
One of those games where it honestly becomes difficult to find something truly bad to say about it unless you try really hard; it just works on practically every level.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:11 pm

^Totally. I'm not even a big Batman fan either and I absolutely loved it. That tells you something right off the bat.

....I mean...oh fuck it.

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby mue 26 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:35 am

OL wrote: Well I wouldn't go so far as to say he's being "whiny," I just seriously doubt the game is so far removed from the old games that it qualifies as an "abomination". Looks like a damn fine game to me, whether the occasional target is killed in a cutscene or not (I know, that's only one of the problems people have cited, but I'm being pithy so as not to ramble).

How much Mountain Dew did they give you? :P

mue 26 has received a thanks from: OL
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:42 am

It was more Doritos than anything else.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Kenny
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:45 am

:lol:
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby south carmain » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:28 am

Well the demo for arkham was much better than the one for sleeping dogs but have any of you played through sleeping dogs?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:54 am

Sleeping Dogs is really just a reboot or new installment to the True Crime series however you look at it. I'd go Batman
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:11 am

Huh.
Downloaded the gameplay demonstration video of that game Remember Me, and it actually looked a lot better to me this time around. Probably just a matter of being in the right mood, I guess. I mean, the gameplay animations still look kind of wonky and stiff, and I'm still not keen on the voice acting. But it looks like the end result could end up really good. Lot of potential for a bit of cinematic action fun. And the actual trailer for it has me kind of intrigued by the story.
Interested to see how it turns out now.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:17 am

The demo for Sleeping Dogs was poor so don't judge the game on that as Its a very fun open world game. Arkham is great except for the lame boss fights but they more or less fixed that in City.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby south carmain » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:23 am

Who Really Cares? wrote: The demo for Sleeping Dogs was poor so don't judge the game on that as Its a very fun open world game. Arkham is great except for the lame boss fights but they more or less fixed that in City.

ah so you have been through both, which is the more fun overall in your opinion?

I was put off by the demo of sleeping dogs but my friend told me it was a lot better than that, also sleeping dogs is pretty diverse gameplay wise, on the other hand I loved the arkham city demo but if gameplay is mostly just going rooftop to rooftop and beating people up I think I will get it later on :-k
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:31 am

Well i enjoyed both a lot but SD is the more fresher in my mind.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:54 am

south carmain wrote:...on the other hand I loved the arkham city demo but if gameplay is mostly just going rooftop to rooftop and beating people up I think I will get it later on :-k

There's more to Arkham City than that. I'm not sure what's in the demo, but there's the standard brawling, building-climbing, gliding (which becomes more multi-functional as the game goes on), exploration, puzzles, and of course stealth. There's a lot of variety in it. And it lasted me pretty well in excess of 30 hours to complete, if I remember correctly.
Plus, the story is downright excellent. I don't know what Sleeping Dog's story is like, but no matter how it is, it's still restricted to the usual "crime drama" trappings of so many other games. Arkham City, however, is able to go to completely crazy places and pull insane left-field twists that could only work in a Batman story.
So take from that what you will, but my main point is that as good as Sleeping Dogs might possibly be (only played the demo, so I don't actually know myself), Arkham City will easily give you the more unique and very likely enduring videogame experience.

OL has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, south carmain
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:04 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HQnYzD3WFc[/youtube]

:lol:
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:17 am

OL wrote:
south carmain wrote:...on the other hand I loved the arkham city demo but if gameplay is mostly just going rooftop to rooftop and beating people up I think I will get it later on :-k

There's more to Arkham City than that. I'm not sure what's in the demo, but there's the standard brawling, building-climbing, gliding (which becomes more multi-functional as the game goes on), exploration, puzzles, and of course stealth. There's a lot of variety in it. And it lasted me pretty well in excess of 30 hours to complete, if I remember correctly.
Plus, the story is downright excellent. I don't know what Sleeping Dog's story is like, but no matter how it is, it's still restricted to the usual "crime drama" trappings of so many other games. Arkham City, however, is able to go to completely crazy places and pull insane left-field twists that could only work in a Batman story.
So take from that what you will, but my main point is that as good as Sleeping Dogs might possibly be (only played the demo, so I don't actually know myself), Arkham City will easily give you the more unique and very likely enduring videogame experience.

well it is also the cheaper option, arkham city it is then, I am kind of in the mood for more batman since watching the trilogy on my flight back as well
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:17 am

Sonic Adventure 2 Demo on 360. When in HD and looking at the textures. That is one thing Dreamcast was brilliant on is textures. They still look fantastic in HD in SA2. PS2 was very blurry with them. Tho yes SA2 on 360 is essentially a port of the Gamecube version like the first Sonic Adventure is. Still unlike the Gamecube version of Sonic Adventure they didn't change any of the texturesor colors of buildings or make sonic have fingers and be shiny. Think just Chao Karate and Battle mode as added to GCN.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming