Superman

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Superman

Postby KiBa » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:28 am

lol, seriously? I'm not really surprised, but wow.... Then strike everything I said, if that's what fans are used to. Maybe superheroes are finally getting a little stale. I mean, I still love watching B:TAS, and probably always will, but TDKR succeeded in not interesting me in the slightest, and I'm someone who thinks Batman is the best thing since salted cucumbers.

Where once I imagined a positive response to Man of Steel, I now detect an odor similar to The Amazing Spiderman.

I wonder what genre will be milked next. Perpetual sunset WWII nostalgia war movies are done. Superheroes, done (the Iron Man 3 trailer was actually painful to sit through). I'm guessing Disney's Star Wars and J.J.'s Trek will finish off sci-fi. After Prometheus, Ridley Scott won more votes of no confidence than Chancellor Valorum. Now we're actually afraid of a new Blade Runner (Help us, Vangelis. You're our only hope.) Twilight murdered vampires and werewolves. After The Hobbit, swords and sorcery will be laid to rest. But who knows. The gamer cultural well is not yet dry. There can be Zelda movies, Starcraft movies,... American live-action anime movies? Uh, heck, I just disconvinced myself that the gamer culture has any longevity. It may be coming to an end already.

KiBa has received a thanks from: OL
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:42 am

Thankfully, Grant Morrison's given Superman a new lease of life (made possible thanks to the New 52 reboot/rehash/retcon thing) He's turned young Supes from patriotic boy scout into a cocky bastard who knows his own potential, all the while staying true to his roots. Seriously, the opening story of the new Action Comics is excellent, it's just a shame that the truly brilliant characterisations of these heroes in the comics are never translated to film. I understand why, obviously, but it's a damn shame that a lot of fans will never get to see just how well written some of these icons can be.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:47 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Awesome. As per.

Funny thing is they nailed it for me. Not a big Superman fan but the fact Nolan is on board has me interested in this.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Sonikku » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Clark Kent:"What was I supposed to do, let him die?!"

Jonathan Kent: "Maybe."

:-k
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:20 pm

Pa Kent was always the super-protective type early on. Definitely not the type to encourage Clark to compromise his secret. I always remember the old cliche "they'll dissect you and cut you into little pieces."
That was more of an ET thing, but it was Pa Kent's general mindset as well.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:48 am

Why not?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Sonikku » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:34 am

I am Sonikku and I approve of this change.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby KiBa » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:22 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Why not?

Pederasty.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Re: Your new superman

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Christopher Reeves' mother, Barbara Johnson, works with me in Princeton, Christopher was born here!

She said the same thing. I showed her this post.

Peter wrote: superman died years ago. In more ways than one.

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: Peter
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby OL » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:00 pm

Yeah, but she'd be biased anyway. :P

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Director/Producer Jon Schnepp (Metalocalypse, Grimm's Fairy Tales and The ABC's of Death) has launched a Kickstarter campaign to finance his documentary about Tim Burton's doomed comic book movie: Superman Lives. The documentary would look at the death of what Schnepp contends would have been the most original, and strangest, version of Superman ever to grace the silver screen.

Here is a snapshot: Tim Burton directs Nicolas Cage as Superman from a script by Kevin Smith that features rainbow robot outfits, Brainiac Skull ships, Superman not "flying" but fighting a giant spider and polar bears guarding the Fortress of Solitude.

Schnepp has had a great interest in, and passion for, the failed Superman Lives project for years. The director believes that if produced, the Burton/Cage version of the Man of Steel's tale would have achieved cult status, if only because it offered a unique and interesting take on the Superman mythology. The documentary, if funded, will include interviews with the creative team and recreations of scenes from the script.

Take a look at Schnepp’s video pitch below and head over to Kickstarter to learn more about, and support, the project!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/127 ... t-happened
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby KiBa » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:42 pm

Tim Burton is as insane as SHODAN.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:56 am

Nah, he just wants people to think he is. He puts on a front, like the Cohen Brothers. A good movie every now and then, but most of the time he's just trying too hard to be "weird".
The batshit insane stuff in there actually came from the producer, if Kevin Smith is to be believed. He did a whole bit about the giant spider idea in one of his "conversation" DVDs.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:37 am

OL wrote: Nah, he just wants people to think he is. He puts on a front, like the Cohen Brothers. A good movie every now and then, but most of the time he's just trying too hard to be "weird".
The batshit insane stuff in there actually came from the producer, if Kevin Smith is to be believed. He did a whole bit about the giant spider idea in one of his "conversation" DVDs.

That was not Tim Burtons idea. It was a producer that had all the crazy ideas and he went on to produce Wild Wild West and got his Giant Spider. look up Jon Peters
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic