Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Yup, this is actually happening.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMRGNwMMFro[/youtube]

\:D/
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby OL » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:44 pm

I'm oddly kind of disappointed about this.
I mean, I'm sure it'll turn out just fine and all. But Atlus finally makes a game involving various characters from a bunch of their games, and it can't just be a standalone Atlus thing... it has to be a crossover with Fire Emblem. A series which I know nothing about and don't honestly have much interest in...
I'd be all for a game simply grouping together various SMT characters (sort of like Tales of the World, Dissidia, or Ys vs. Sora No Kiseki). But pairing the project up with something like Fire Emblem just feels totally random...
Not as bad as pairing Mortal Kombat with DC superheroes, but still pretty random.
I mean, I can understand fans of both being excited. But to me, a fan of only one side of it, it just feels like "Why this?"
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, and I'm not even saying I have a problem with it necessarily... I just don't understand the pairing at all (gothic cyberpunk post-apocalyptic JRPGs/anime-style medieval fantasy SRPGs... eh?), and kind of wish Atlus would just do something like this solely using the SMT property itself.

OL has received a thanks from: silent killer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:49 pm

You should play Fire emblem then. I have a feeling you'll be surprised with what the series is actually about(especially 4 and 5).

should also be mentioned that Fire Emblem and Ys share a few character designers.

I'm not really sure how it will play, and to be honest its kind of random mixing the the two different play styles and settings(even though they both have a focus on demonology and are both very dark) but I remember modding my SNEs to play SMT2 (my favorite in the series) and Thracia 776. So to me they feel close in that they're both from a certain era of gaming.

also is that a redesign of akemi @12 secs?!
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:12 pm

So did Nintendo just blow it's load just by the call of the girl long before the date of E3?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:17 pm

a lot of this stuff will also be shown at E3. The new mariokart and 3d mario are going to be hown there in playable form, as will smash bros.

you can load up and watch the direct on 3ds i think
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: a lot of this stuff will also be shown at E3. The new mariokart and 3d mario are going to be hown there in playable form, as will smash bros.

you can load up and watch the direct on 3ds i think

They better show X and this game at E3 otherwise be another boring Zelda mario crap.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:22 pm

I'm thinking it'll be decent, theres still 3DS stuff to show off. Hopefully the console reveals are equally as exciting.

did you ever get around to downloading the FE Awakening demo?

Edit: I showed the rest of my family the trailer.

My dad hates Fire Emblem, but loves SMT, my mom hates SMT but loves Fire Emblem and My sister is so-so with both (she likes shining Force and Persona better) They were all fairly excited. My dad actually put his hands up and cheered for Hitoshura.

We all had the same question. How is this a console game. I wonder what they're planning for this to be a full on WiiU game.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:01 pm

Ryudo wrote: So did Nintendo just blow it's load just by the call of the girl long before the date of E3?

It's safe to say that the media will be creaming themselves over whatever Sony and Microsoft show at E3 should it be next gen related. I bet Nintendo just see this as a way to make them look the more exciting company when the others will be silent for a few months. From the buzz surrounding these announcements it seems they have sold a few future Wii U's.

If anything they have been very smart about this.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: You should play Fire emblem then. I have a feeling you'll be surprised with what the series is actually about(especially 4 and 5).

should also be mentioned that Fire Emblem and Ys share a few character designers.

I'm not really sure how it will play, and to be honest its kind of random mixing the the two different play styles and settings(even though they both have a focus on demonology and are both very dark) but I remember modding my SNEs to play SMT2 (my favorite in the series) and Thracia 776. So to me they feel close in that they're both from a certain era of gaming.

also is that a redesign of akemi @12 secs?!

Can you explain to me how this is any different from any cross over?

Pokemon one,SF X series or Capcom vs or Kingdom Hearts,Namco X Capcom, and a many others esp many other RP crossover. Granted never played either series but want to know why OL is upset when it seems no different than the many many many weird sounding crossovers.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:42 pm

2 reasons.

1:He's never experienced the bliss that is Fire Emblem

2. Fire Emblem is a SRPG, more specifically it deals with Medieval stuff while the the turn based, post apocalypti SMT series couldn't be farther in terms of art and playstyle.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: OL
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Just seems weird to be upset when Project X Zone,Pokémon Conquest(really bizarre),Kingdom Hearts(no one at first liked the idea)Ys vs sora no kiseki then I remember a Gamecube game Dream Mix TV World Fighters...had Bomberman vs Transformers and Simon Belmont :lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Ryudo wrote: Pokemon one,SF X series or Capcom vs or Kingdom Hearts,Namco X Capcom, and a many others esp many other RP crossover. Granted never played either series but want to know why OL is upset when it seems no different than the many many many weird sounding crossovers.

The Pokemon/Nobunaga's Ambition one never made sense to me (and I'm pretty sure I said so when it was first announced).
Street Fighter X Tekken is a natural fit. Both are powerhouses in the fighting genre, and the aesthetics aren't so different that they would seem weird next to eachother.
The Capcom vs. series are a bit mixed. On the one hand you've got Marvel vs. Capcom, which I've never thought made sense. But then you've also got Capcom vs. SNK which, like SF X Tekken, seems totally natural. On that note, I do think the Tatsunoko one is an incredibly weird pairing as well. Might be a good game, but it's still a weird pair.
I've always thought Kingdom Hearts was a ridiculous concept right from the start. The implementation is great, and I really enjoy the hell out of the gameplay, but I've been saying for a while that it needs to move away from Disney and just be its own thing once and for all. Again, being a particularly well-made game doesn't exclude it from initially being a really out-there crossover idea.
And I'd almost argue that, even more than any of the others, Namco X Capcom is a total match made in heaven. Two of the greatest (some might even say the two greatest) arcade developers of the 80s and 90s throwing their characters together into one big crazy-ass RPG? That's just beautiful. The implementation was a little off in some places (Capcom needed to have the protagonists from RE: Dead Aim in there? Really?) and, granted, not all of the characters are completely arcade-centric, but these two particular companies crossing paths like that? Perfect idea.

So it's always a case-by-case kind of thing. But yeah, I do think Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei is a strange match. Not as strange as Disney/Final Fantasy, but still strange. Of course, as Segata said, it may just come from the fact that I don't know Fire Emblem very well.
Still, I see medieval fantasy characters mixing with cyberpunk post-apocalyptic ones...
Seems like oil and water to me, looking at the basic idea.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:29 pm

FE 4 (aka Seisen no keifu) are big on demonology and very very dark so in terms of story it matches with SMT. Whats funny is they've been talking about making a futuristic fire emblem for a little while now. Wonder if this will have an impact on that.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Ok so I have Fire Emblem on the way. I started googling Shin Megami Tensei series. Mainly IV. Now I see why OL likes Dark Souls so much as it seems similar type games. In the past I been not a fan of Dungeon Crawling. That is changing as I play more games from the 16 bit era. So Dark Souls seems a lot like a game on Super Famicom/Mega Drive with modern visuals. So now looking more into maybe trying a Shin Megami game but no idea where to start. Also no idea how Persona connects. So now curious if Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem will be shown at E3. Now I am curious knowing more. Will it be a SRPG or a Dungeon Crawler or a combo of both? Something else?

Seeing how passionate fans are of both series,kinda surprised this has not been talked about more despite yes nothing was really shown.(I mean outside SD)
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Next

Return to General Gaming