Gaming Thoughts Of The Day 2.0

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming Thoughts Of The Day 2.0

Postby OL » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Thief 4 confirmed for next gen consoles and PC

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ble-reveal

:D

^^Great news.

Not... not quite sure how I feel about Garret's new look though... :neutral:
I liked the original look because it was simpler, and was completely based around function rather than looks.
Shirt, pants, bracers, boots, hooded cloak. A guy like Garret doesn't care about how he looks because no one is supposed to see him. So the almost comicbook-ish new look is a little off-putting to me. Makes him appear more like some crazy assassin character, out to strike fear in the people around him. It's a first-person game, so I guess it shouldn't really matter what he looks like anyway, but still.
The rest of the game sounds promising as hell, especially all their talk of retaining the old style of the series and letting gamers just spend some time in the game world, rather than rushing into the next bit of action. Sounds like they get it.
But yeah, the new design? I just hope the rest of the game's denizens and environments don't suffer from a similar case of "updating".

Peter wrote:Aladdin (Mega Drive one is better though)

Glad you agree. :nice!:

OL has received a thanks from: Kenny
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Always preferred Aladdin on SNES. Mikami's first game. Have it on both but eh the Genesis version doesn't sit well with me

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Samanosuke Akechi
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:14 pm

I know, that's why I replied to him like that. Most people prefer the SNES version.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:19 pm

OL wrote: I know, that's why I replied to him like that. Most people prefer the SNES version.

Opposite to me most people I see say they like the Genesis version more. I always felt like I was in the minority.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Dave Perry [director/designer of Earthworm Jim, Wild 9 & MDK] (Genesis/MD version) vs Shinji Mikami (SNES)

Goof Troop is actually a Mikami game, as well, you know?

Never played the SNES version myself, is it as different, as, say Sparkster SNES vs Mega Drive; as in, a completely different game altogether?

Nice to hear you're getting fun out of games again, Pete. Highly recommend Brandish to you; top down viewpoint but it's an Action RPG. You like old school Zelda games, right? Try it. Also look into Quintet games, they're awesome.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Genesis had a more animated look and Aladdin used a sword for attacks. SNES he was more PoP and as a weapon used apples or jumped on them.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Has anyone here played Rule of Rose on the PS2?Stumbled upon it on ebay and the prices they ask for are quite high.First time I've heard of it.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:36 pm

^^I love it. It's an extremely creepy and surreal game about a group of little orphan girls tormenting the newbie to their house. Except it all takes place on a big blimp thing...
It's weird, and I have yet to finish it, but I plan to eventually (I'm sure there's meaning to all the surreality in it).
I think very few copies were made in the west because it had "controversial themes" and they didn't know how well it'd go over with westerners.
The prices are retarded on ebay, but it's an interesting game to play if you ever come across it in a more reasonable situation. Check out youtube videos to see if it's your thing. It's survival horror, in a sense, but it's a very original style of horror.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Ah yes, Aladdin on Genesis, one of those random licensed games that ended up being a gem and for some reason everyone seems to know about it. pause and hit AABBAABBA for the level skip cheat and I still remember it to this day, I remember how intense the carpet ride level coming out of the cave with the lava was, ah, such good memories with that game. And I believe the Genesis version has the sword and the apples.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:52 pm

^ Was not a random licensed gem. Capcom had the disney license then and did Little Mermaid on NES then SNES/Genesis games and were well made. Not like Disney just threw the license IP out like confetti. Konami back then was to TMNT what Capcom was to disney films
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:53 pm

Just a reminder for those that wanted them,

SEGA - 5-Mar to 11-Mar

NiGHTS into dreams… - 400 MSP (50% of)
Sonic the Fighters - 160 MSP (60% off)
Fighting Vipers - 160 MSP (60% off)
Virtua Fighter 2 - 160 MSP (60% off)
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown - 400 MSP (67% off)

Might pick up FV at that price.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby lavrentis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:17 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Just a reminder for those that wanted them,

SEGA - 5-Mar to 11-Mar

NiGHTS into dreams… - 400 MSP (50% of)
Sonic the Fighters - 160 MSP (60% off)
Fighting Vipers - 160 MSP (60% off)
Virtua Fighter 2 - 160 MSP (60% off)
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown - 400 MSP (67% off)

Might pick up FV at that price.

Schwing
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:18 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Eudb_Tqg8[/youtube]
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:14 pm

OL wrote: ^^I love it. It's an extremely creepy and surreal game about a group of little orphan girls tormenting the newbie to their house. Except it all takes place on a big blimp thing...
It's weird, and I have yet to finish it, but I plan to eventually (I'm sure there's meaning to all the surreality in it).
I think very few copies were made in the west because it had "controversial themes" and they didn't know how well it'd go over with westerners.
The prices are retarded on ebay, but it's an interesting game to play if you ever come across it in a more reasonable situation. Check out youtube videos to see if it's your thing. It's survival horror, in a sense, but it's a very original style of horror.

Sounds like my kind of game.I'll definitely give it a go if I ever see it for a more reasonable price.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:42 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Thief 4 confirmed for next gen consoles and PC

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ble-reveal

Made by the guys who did Deus Ex: Human Revolution? And in the same vein as the classic first two games? I'm sold.

Big fan of the original Thief (well, Thief Gold specifically). I still consider it the best stealth game ever, even topping the likes of Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid. Nothing is more unnerving than a guard hearing then coming close to you, then walking away just when you're about to kill him with your sword. Brilliant game. Effective use of the First Person perspective. AWESOME steampunk world. Even totally DUG the subtle electronic soundtrack that played at times, I thought that was so innovative at the time to put electronica in what's supposed to be a medieval period setting.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRVuWpZ9lE[/youtube]

And that THEME song, hell yeah! This was the exact same trailer that essentially SOLD the game to me.

I'm not sure about Garret's new design either, but we'll see. Hoping some of the Looking Glass Studios people are on here, I think a few of them were working with Eidos. The idea of taking the best of the original Thief and meshing it in with the best of Deus Ex: Human Revolution is sounding to me like another "Arkham City", a game I'll gladly spend months at a time with until every single thing is collected and finished with.

EDIT:

Kenny has received a thanks from: Thief

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: OL, Thief
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue