The Bioshock thread

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: The Bioshock thread

Postby mue 26 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:57 pm

This is exactly why a score at the end of a review will always be justifiable. Yeah, yeah, I know people like to bash people who just skip straight to the score and don't bother with the writing, but sometimes one does not wish to read the writing, and Bioshock infinite in exactly one such time.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Tuffty
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:15 am

so is it true that bioshock infinite is extremely mediocre with things like two character models for all child characters and decisions that just trigger the same thing?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:52 am

Seems this is the latest game to have a what the fuck ending.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby mue 26 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:40 pm

^ Why would you even want to know or discuss that until you've actually seen it?

so is it true that bioshock infinite is extremely mediocre with things like two character models for all child characters and decisions that just trigger the same thing?

Probably true about the child characters thing, but I wouldn't have even noticed it if you didn't bring it up. Don't practically all games that might have scenes with large crowds just do the same thing anyway?

What I can definitely confirm is that Infinite is in no way shape or form mediocre, I've put about 4 and half to 5 hours in today, and think it's an absolutely stunning game. It's a technical marvel as far as I'm concerned, child models reused or not, and regardless of whether the console versions pale in comparison to the PC or not (I'm playing on PS3) it's up there amongst some of the prettiest game's I've ever played. The game has clearly been lavished with attention, there are so many great subtle details, and moments that just make you go "wow". Much like the first Bioshock, it's a properly mature game, and does not treat the player like an absolute idiot.

I'll write more on it once I've played more (and keep it spoiler free!), but trust me, this is the game Bioshock 2 should have been and wished it had been. I would have played more but it's nearly 4 in morning and I need to get some sleep soon.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:49 pm

Yeah, this game kicks Bioshock 2's ass.

It has a better story and striking visual effects. They even have a shield system so you can recover when you get damaged, which is what made the second game way too hard. It does what FPSes should be doing in regards to health, have a shield system but also have a health system. So you won't have to solely rely on your shield.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:32 am

i am not a fan of the FPS genre but i am loving this game. before infinite i only played the first one and thought it was OK. i thoroughly enjoyed it but didnt quite understand the hype. i own the second one but its been sitting on my shelf untouched for 6 months. infinite has resparked my interest in the series. is the second one better than the first?
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:01 am

mue 26 wrote: ^ Why would you even want to know or discuss that until you've actually seen it?

Ive not read the spoilers just seeing a lot of WTF? comments going around and even a few articles saying that even in the world of Bioshock too many things don't make sense.
Not that i care seeing as Bioshock had a crap ending but i still loved the game.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby mue 26 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:31 pm

This game. Amazing.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:02 pm

I beat Infinite.

I take it back, the story is absolutely terrible. It started out great then really went downhill as it progressed. What the FUCK was up with that ending? Better question, what the FUCK were they THINKING?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:41 pm

Perfect_Chaos wrote: is the second one better than the first?
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bluecast » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:47 pm

Perfect_Chaos wrote:
Perfect_Chaos wrote: is the second one better than the first?

The general consensus says no. It's kinda mixed among fans some like it some don't. Was not even the same team either. Not that I played it but the general feeling I get is that it was a sequel just to be a sequel where as infinite is the more true successor. This is only from a guy who reads on almost everything but not played. So take from that what you will.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Perfect_Chaos
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:56 am

I just finished Infinite and the ending was outstanding! it made perfect since to me. i will esplain in spoiler tags as i can see why some of you are confused

If you dont understand the theory of alternate dimensions then infinite is NOT the game for you. imagine if theres a world (not planet...i mean a world) out there for every possible outcome of every situation. thats what the light houses were. doors to every world out there revolving around every possible outcome to anything and everything.

anyways, Booker lived a bad life and went to get baptized. he refused it and lived on until someone (one of the twins) asked him to give his daughter (who is anna aka elizabeth) to comstock to wipe away his gambling debt. he does but regrets it and tries to stop him before they go through the tear to columbia. SIDE NOTE: the twins invinted the tear technology and gave it to anna as anna says.

now what if booker DID except the baptism? well theres a world for that too. after being baptized and becoming a born again christian he changes his name to comstock and creates columbia with the twins. he needs a successor for columbia. he is infertile due to the exposure of the tears. so he uses a tear to go to the alternate dimension where he doesnt except the baptism and has ana and pays off bookers(himself) gambling debt for ana.
after this booker sits around in regret about selling his daughter for 20 years until one of the twins says bring us the girl and wipe away your debt (the grief) so he goes to that lighthouse ( a gate way to the dimension where he does except the baptism and where he ceated columbia and the events of the game takes place yada yada) gets anna (elizabeth) (ast forward to end of the game) she takes him through a tear to the dimension where he does except the baptism and many annas from many different worlds kill him so he doesnt get baptized, doesnt change his name to comstock, and doesnt create Columbia. thus there is no Comstock for him to give anna to to wipe away his gambling debt giving him a second chance at his life with his daughter. which is why after the credits we see him check on anna in her crib which takes place in the dimension where he doesnt except the baptism.......get it?
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:20 pm

Whenever I google it all I get are people just saying you should play it anyway. Is there any connection between Bioshock 2 and Infinite? I've played the first game but not sure I can be bothered with the second one as I much prefer the look of Infinite.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Tuffty » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:41 pm

Bioshock 2 is a good game. Don't know why the consensus is that it's a bad game, it's not. It's just more of the same gameplay that's largely unchanged from the first game with a less impactful story. There's no connection between 2 and Infinite.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:44 pm

The gameplay is good, 2 is just frustrating but it was fun to play nonetheless. And after reading an article, I got the story. Problem was they threw everything at you at the last second and didn't properly build up to the ending. As WTF as MGS2's ending was, at least they built up to it and I was able to fully understand what was going on without having to resort to the internet to condense it down.

Even understanding it, I still think it was poorly executed. They went way over their heads with the twists and turns that they neglected to properly implement them in the narrative itself. So much so that I had it with the Bioshock storyline.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming