Your most overlooked system or game

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Your most overlooked system or game

Postby Thief » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:00 am

I've beaten Mischief Makers multiple times, the real trouble is S-ranking every level... it's actually on my bucket list along side driving over a car in a tank.

"Through fire justice is served!"

Thief has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:00 am

Alex Kidd in Hi-Tech World. Never heard (or read) anyone mention it besides my brother. Duke Nukem II as well. Was a brilliant side-scrolling shooter. Intro was sick too. Eventually I'll also write a book entitled "Why I'm So Great"...
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:09 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Alex Kidd in Hi-Tech World. Never heard (or read) anyone mention it besides my brother.

I don't think I've even played it, despite Alex Kidd in Miracle World being a staple of my childhood (since it was built into the Master System II). Reading the description on Wikipedia, I'm on the fence. It seems to be a slightly reskinned version of another game entirely, so enjoying Miracle World appears to be no indication of whether I'd enjoy Hi-Tech World. What do you like about it specifically?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:16 pm

Mainly the hub world sections. Kinda like a side-scrolling RPG, not entirely unlike Shenmue in ways.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Fragile Dreams

While people were looking as JAAAASON for a good human story with awkward sex scenes and SHAAAAWN SHAAAWN JASON JAAAAAASON...A game was made quietly and released on a system not hardcore enough. Fragile Dreams is a very emotional well told story. Takes place after the world ended and you play as a simple boy seeking human contact after the only person he barely knew passed on. He see's a silver haired girl and spends the rest pf the game trying to find her. It does have a supernatural element to it. Still we see such tragic stories along the way. Most notably to me is the merchant and his "princess" not even the ending was very happy. Just so well done. Only thing that kinda sucked was combat. However as much as I love it,it's one of those things you watch once or play once and it was so strong and well done but tragic you can't watch/play again.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:34 am

Recently? Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection. It's basically come out when the PSP is done, even the most niche games are no longer coming out for the system, but this game is so good. Rhythm based combat meets capture the base, Ogre Battle style. Story ain't bad either. I think this is Sting's best game, personally. I've never seen anyone on any forum even mention this game. At least my other SRPGs have their own fanbase, like Growlanser and Tactics Ogre, Sting's SRPGs tend to alienate even the biggest SRPG fans because they are experimental and try mixing lots of systems together, Pandora's Reflection feels like their most polished game though, to date.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mth2-PNQdao[/youtube]
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Rakim » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Lupin the 3rd: Treasure of the Sorcerer King

Stealth/Action-Adventure PS2 game based on the anime. Its nothing too special but as a fan of the show I have a blast playing it. I feel like I'm literally the only person who liked this game. And the numbers support my theory since none of the other PS2 Lupin games that were made in this series have come West. I will import them one day and you will all envy my puzzle solving skills.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Phantom Crash for the Xbox. This was a really strange game to be honest. I never quite knew exactly what I was supposed to be doing in this game to advance, well I knew I had to smash up other robots, and I guess that was enough. I actually liked the bizarre style of the game, with it's talking animal computer chips and crazy characters, and it's obtuse nature only intrigued me further. The main bulk of the gameplay was centred around customising your mech out in an insane amount of ways, until it's an ultimate weapon of destruction, and then enter arena fights with other supped up mechs. I remember really enjoying the arena fights, they were fast paced and frantic. Mechs could often jump super high, turn invisible, or fire all kinds of missiles depending how they were customised. And all the while this carnage is taking place you get snipits of convo from the various kinds of animal AI chips each mech has on board.

So yeah, strange game, but it was really enjoyable, and if your partial to a bit of mech action I would recommend this without reservation.

I only discovered quite recently that this game did actually get a sequel. Though it's not surprising I never heard of it, as it came out years later, on the PS2, and under a completely different title. It even had a different publisher, so there was really no way of knowing the two were connected. It's a shame, as I wuold have loved to have tried it out. Has anyone here played it? I'd be interested to know what it was like.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:33 pm

Wonderswan. Never even had a chance in the west despite it's many ports of formerly SquareSoft games.

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: Bluecast
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:56 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: Wonderswan. Never even had a chance in the west despite it's many ports of formerly SquareSoft games.

Wonderswan Crystal and Neo Geo Pocket color are two systems I am after. Awesome handhelds.

It's funny as I never like Nintendo handhelds as much as others. My first was Game Gear loved it PSP is my fave ever and love my Vita over 3DS. To me Wonderswan and NGPC better handhelds than GBC or GBA. Odd because Gunpei did both Game Boy and Wonderswan.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby mue 26 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:17 am

I think I had my best ever handheld experience on the GBA. And it was with another overlooked gem, Zone Of The Enders: First to Mars. It was love, word life. I highly doubt I'd have as good a time with it if I ever tried again, especially now, when I'm probably less tolerant of grids than ever, but at the time it was just pure magic for me. And please, if your just checking out this game now, don't just type it into google images; it won't do the game justice! It's all about the story and characters. The game has some branching paths too. Best SJRPG ever.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:24 am

From this gen

http://www.oxm.co.uk/51702/features/sev ... g-weekend/

I can agree with Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning, Overlord 2, Too Human and Games of Thrones.

Not played the others.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Ryudo wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote: Wonderswan. Never even had a chance in the west despite it's many ports of formerly SquareSoft games.

Wonderswan Crystal and Neo Geo Pocket color are two systems I am after. Awesome handhelds.

It's funny as I never like Nintendo handhelds as much as others. My first was Game Gear loved it PSP is my fave ever and love my Vita over 3DS. To me Wonderswan and NGPC better handhelds than GBC or GBA. Odd because Gunpei did both Game Boy and Wonderswan.

I loved my PSP too when I had it but I pawned it once and lost it. Anyway, there's something special about the Wonderswan handhelds, I like that you can hold it vertically and horizontally and have 2 D-Pads on one side depending on how you hold it. There is also the many Digimon RPGs (and Battle Spirit Fighters, man those are awesome) that weren't on the GBA. (Fuck yeah, I love Digimon Adventure! and find the series superior than Pokemon in depth.) It also got a lot of Rock-Man (Mega-Man) games way before the GBA.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:07 pm

Don't think I've ever heard anyone ever talk about the Deception series. Such an obscure series, made by the Fatal Frame team, it's a Strategy series with a difference; leave traps around a mansion as enemies come after you in the house. It has such a haunting, incredibly dark atmosphere and the game starts off with typical thieves looting, to bounty hunters, to curious children who enter the house and continues ramping up to the point where every single character encountered in the game wants the main character dead since he or she has killed so many people.

The first game in the series is about a mad prince who, after being backstabbed by the very people who worked for him and his own brother who wishes to claim the throne. The prince is on his death bed when he is offered a pact with the devil, which he accepts. In return, he has to kill, then collect the souls of the people of the palace and finally offer those souls to the devil.

The second game in the series is about a girl who is a part of a weird cult who enters a mansion and is pursued by the villagers who wish to oust this particular cult. Unhappy with their residence, they employ everything and everybody who will take the job on, from bounty hunters to thieves to children looking for their lost family relatives who entered the house from which no one has returned. In the end, everybody wants to kill the girl.

In the third game in the series, involves a girl who is sold from door to door as a slave, breaking free from her miserable life. The fourth game in the series involves a princess, this time framed for her father's murder, again, everything and everybody in the vicinity wants her dead.

The best part of these games is not particularly the storyline, but rather, the messed up, brutal ways you can kill those who enter your domain. From typical trap doors, to machetes eviscerating them, to being crushed by the walls, to mortars, many traps are at your disposal. Love these games, shame nobody else plays them.

Another game that I never hear anybody ever talk about is Ring of Red on the PS2. I'm actually currently playing this and it reminds me a bit of Front Mission, for obvious reasons. The difference here is that there is an actual real time/action side to the combat. It was the first game that Yukio Futatsugi worked on after the Panzer Dragoon series (he's the creator of that series) and it's such a change of pace, like he couldn't have a made a more different game. It takes place in alternate timeline where Japan is divided into two regions, North and South, with civil war erupting alongside the Second World War. It's very different from most Strategy games that I have played. Again, another game that nobody cares about.

Oh and aye, Goemon fucking rocks (the N64 games especially). So does Mischief Makers...it's probably still my favourite Treasure game.
And I still have a soft spot for my CD-i.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Yama » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:08 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Don't think I've ever heard anyone ever talk about the Deception series. Such an obscure series, made by the Fatal Frame team, it's a Strategy series with a difference; leave traps around a mansion as enemies come after you in the house. It has such a haunting, incredibly dark atmosphere and the game starts off with typical thieves looting, to bounty hunters, to curious children who enter the house and continues ramping up to the point where every single character encountered in the game wants the main character dead since he or she has killed so many people.

The first game in the series is about a mad prince who, after being backstabbed by the very people who worked for him and his own brother who wishes to claim the throne. The prince is on his death bed when he is offered a pact with the devil, which he accepts. In return, he has to kill, then collect the souls of the people of the palace and finally offer those souls to the devil.

The second game in the series is about a girl who is a part of a weird cult who enters a mansion and is pursued by the villagers who wish to oust this particular cult. Unhappy with their residence, they employ everything and everybody who will take the job on, from bounty hunters to thieves to children looking for their lost family relatives who entered the house from which no one has returned. In the end, everybody wants to kill the girl.

In the third game in the series, involves a girl who is sold from door to door as a slave, breaking free from her miserable life. The fourth game in the series involves a princess, this time framed for her father's murder, again, everything and everybody in the vicinity wants her dead.

The best part of these games is not particularly the storyline, but rather, the messed up, brutal ways you can kill those who enter your domain. From typical trap doors, to machetes eviscerating them, to being crushed by the walls, to mortars, many traps are at your disposal. Love these games, shame nobody else plays them..

HUGE fan of the Deception series. My grandpa and I fell in love with King's Field at release and were looking for something similar prior to King's Field II (KF III JP). I saw a preview for Deception at the time and judging by its first person perspective and RPG elements, I figured it may be something of the same style. Despite being completely wrong in that assumption, it was something completely fresh. He enjoyed watching me play it and I ended up sinking a ton of time into the game. Over the course of time I supported each title at launch though was especially fond of Dark Delusion, the third installment. Overall it really was a great series and quite overlooked. I could see it working well with some of the new hardware and features we have nowadays.

PS Henry, we have incredibly similar taste.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming