Mario RPG Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Mario RPG Series

Postby Thief » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:26 am

I just recently bought Paper Mario Sticker Star after hearing so many poor reviews and I'm really enjoying it. What are you guys' thoughts on the Mario RPG series? Anybody looking forward to the new Mario & Luigi game coming out on the 3DS?
Last edited by Thief on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Mario RPG Games

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:43 am

I enjoyed Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time on the DS, up until getting stuck on a particular boss battle that seemed never ending. I loved the humor and character development that we don't see in other Mario titles, and I do intend to get around to playing the follow-up, Bowser's Inside Story.

Super Paper Mario on the Wii, however, left me a little cold. The intro was a chore to sit through, and I didn't find the gameplay to live up to the promise of its gimmick. That, and I soon found myself not really knowing what to do. If I stuck with it I'd perhaps gain more appreciation for its charms, but on first impressions I just wasn't having fun.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Axm » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:19 pm

I havent playn the most recent Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi, but have played the ones prior. And imo still nothing stacks up to SMRPG on SNES. Since it was co-developed by Square back in the day, it was way more of a traditional RPG that Nintendo just doesnt want to return to with these newer titles.
But I could play SMRPG 1000 times over and it would still be amazing. That game holds up very well in all departments. I love it. Probably my favorite game ever just behind Shenmue 1&2.

Axm has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Thief » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:59 am

Super Mario RPG is a damn fine game. Although, if I had to choose I think I like the Paper Mario games better, especially The Thousand Year Door. It's funny because both Mario RPG and Paper Mario are extremely nostalgic to me as well so it's even hard to pick on that front. (being some of the first, and most played, games on my Super/64)

I love the Mario & Luigi games as well, although I've only played Super Star Saga. I remember when it came out I ran over to my buddies house (who I played all the Mario RPG games with) and started raving about the game. We shoved it in our gameboy advance player on the gamecube and played it all day. I was so surprised that the game even existed. Remember the times when you didn't know about games and you were just surprised and happy to know that you could play something so cool? I kind of miss those times -- fucking internet!

It's a shame that Paper Mario: Sticker Star isn't all that great despite the fact that I'm still enjoying it. The series had so much creativity on the N64 and Gamecube but starting with Super Paper Mario the series just started to seem bland and uninspired. Also, like LGS said above, the gameplay just didn't match up either. I just hope that Nintendo has learned their lesson with Sticker Star and that we'll get a proper sequel to the the gamecube's Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Until then, at least we still have the Mario & Luigi series to keep up busy :)
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Mario RPG Series

Postby Bluecast » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:59 am

SNES game trumps all. It was the best collaboration between Square and Nintendo. This was when Squaresoft was at it's peak. Paper Mario was cool and had charm. I only played the one game of M&L on GBA 10 years ago. it was ok I guess.

Now Lamewad open this vid in a new tab and just have it playing in the background.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFnwioqAbks[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Return to General Gaming