SEGA has purchased Atlus

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: SEGA has purchased Atlus

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Well it happened a while ago actually, so as of now nothing is changing.

phpBB [video]

http://andriasang.com/con2il/p4_social/

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:49 pm

lol it's like freaking out because there is a pinball game of a popular series. This is pretty common and pointed above. It's nothing new. The video games will continue
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Yeah, I know about Atlus mobile/pachinko stuff, but it's worded very specifically towards being more centred on that sort of game, you know? Also, the fact that SEGA feels that Atlus needs a "revitalisation" and "restructuring" does not sounds good. If anything, I wanted a company that would allow for Atlus to operate in the way that they were before.

I just don't have the faith that SEGA will allow Atlus even that. I just don't like the way SEGA operate at all nowadays.

I can't help but be cynical about it when I've seen so many other Japanese publishing companies completely ruin/destroy so many other game developers that I love.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Atlus is pretty profitable in the west so don't think anything will change just yet. If anything they still have plenty of stuff in development fr the time being.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:57 pm

Until I hear word from Atlus (either the USA branch or the Japan developers) themselves and not SEGA, I'll hold off on any optimism.

I'm pretty sure that fans of SEGA were similarly concerned when Sammy picked them up, no? I know I was.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Meh either way too early to freak out. Just wait and see
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: I can't help but be cynical about it when I've seen so many other Japanese publishing companies completely ruin/destroy so many other game developers that I love.

This I agree with.

I think all of these companies need a restructuring. (Well not Atlus, but its parent Index does) They all need to look at how they do business and try to look more at what works.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:36 pm

All I know is this, its the end of atlus as we know it. Even if that only means that they are under different ownership, they will be different after this, and Sega will have a different agenda for atlus once they acquire them. Its very unlikely Sega will run atlus the way Index did, thats what started this fiasco in the first place, expect changes, Sega is going to have to man the task of making Atlus profitable again. Only way to do that might be cell phone and tablet social media bullshit. Who gives a crap about the pachinko games? Thats only in japan and doesnt really concern most of us here on these forums. Not to mention apparently they have been making them as Segatas video shows. We will have to wait and see the severity of the situation, but its obviously not a good one, but atleast atlus still exists, well maybe.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Doesnt give me much confidence considering the lack of Yakuza 5 and PSO2 localization. However, havent the Persona games always done well enough in the west? Thats really the most I want out of Atlas if I had to pick and choose. Im sure we'll still get that. But the more obscure titles.. I dont know, seems like a fat chance if thats part of whats made them bleed out.
As scummy or however you nerds wanna look at it, id have rather had Capcom buy them out. Ya Capcom's has been loosing money but atleast they dont strike me as the type of company that wouldnt localize games that would otherwise already be made for Japan. Am I wrong there? When's the last time they didnt localize a major franchise?
Hell it could have been nice if it was Square-Enix. Atleast we'd know they are with a company that values RPG's above all.

Well atleast Atlus isnt closed off forever with IP's sold out or something. Atleast they will still make games and hopefully nothing much will change. But this is Sega.. the kings of disappointment.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:23 pm

Axm wrote:Ya Capcom's has been loosing money but atleast they dont strike me as the type of company that wouldnt localize games that would otherwise already be made for Japan. Am I wrong there? When's the last time they didnt localize a major franchise?
Hell it could have been nice if it was Square-Enix. Atleast we'd know they are with a company that values RPG's above all.

Capcom is broke. I mean seriously broke. If they continue the practices they have been like this they won't be around within a year. They have a 100 Mill left and 3 years ago close to 800 Million nd have been losing money for years and they will have to be bought by someone soon or they will be going out like THQ.

Yes you are wrong. Very Wrong. Breath of Fire & Mega Man say hello. EX Troopers is a spinoff of Lost Planet and basically what remains of MML3 corpse. They think MM can't survive. now go look at Mighty No 9 kickstarter. Lost Planet 3 is a failure. DmC bombed. Capcom is beyond out of touch.

Square. No,no they don't. Not anymore and Square keeps losing money also.

The best 3 options for Atlus were these.

Nintendo

Gung Ho

Marvelous.

Any of them would have been perfect for Atlus in every way that is benificial to Atlus and keeping those games coming.
Last edited by Bluecast on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:27 pm

Axm wrote:id have rather had Capcom buy them out. Ya Capcom's has been loosing money but atleast they dont strike me as the type of company that wouldnt localize games that would otherwise already be made for Japan. Am I wrong there? When's the last time they didnt localize a major franchise?

So you'd prefer one company that basically put the kibosh on one of the biggest series in gaming history and another company that has converted all but 2 of its ips into mobile games over Sega?

They aren't exactly prince charming in this context but Capcom and S-E are even more likely to abuse the company.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Maybe they can help me out on my Shenmue visual novel project? :lol: Persona:Shenmue haha

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: Giorgio
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:50 pm

OH you wanna rumble nerd?! :-o

Ryudo wrote:
Axm wrote:Ya Capcom's has been loosing money but atleast they dont strike me as the type of company that wouldnt localize games that would otherwise already be made for Japan. Am I wrong there? When's the last time they didnt localize a major franchise?

Capcom is broke. I mean seriously broke. If they continue the practices they have been like this they won't be around within a year. They have a 100 Mill left and 3 years ago close to 800 Million nd have been losing money for years and they will have to be bought by someone soon or they will be going out like THQ.

Yes you are wrong. Very Wrong. Breath of Fire & Mega Man say hello.

Ya I know they lost alot of money. Thats why I said what I said. Still doesnt take away from the fact id rather have them take over Atlus then Sega. Ew...Sega.. they make me sick more than EA or Activision sometimes.
And BoF sure I can take that... but Mega Man? Didnt they like just do 8 and 9? Maybe I dont care about Mega Man that much to want more than that. Sorry brah. Dont really care about Mega Man X4 or whatever the hell you guys have been trying to demand.

Ryudo wrote:Square. No,no they don't. Not anymore and Square keeps losing money also.

What? Care about RPG's? Uh ya.. they do. And yes loosing money but still, id rather them have Atlus then Sega. Atleast Square-Enix is irresponsible and baller enough to just say fuck it make a Final Fantasy 13-3, 14 Reborn and 15. I mean, talk about high risk for high return. I also like everyones hair who works there. So cute.

Ryudo wrote:The best 3 options for Atlus were these.

Nintendo

Gung Ho

Marvelous.

Any of them would have been perfect for Atlus in every way that is benificial to Atlus and keeping those games coming.

Eww.
Eww.
And meh.. not a bad choice. But would Marvelous be able to actually keep things rolling the way they have been? I really dont think so.

How about Namco your highness? They good enough?
Honestly I think Sega could work out but they are way inconsistent and I just plain hate them now these days.
They are like an annoying family member who you hate to see during the holidays but damn they are family so you have to try and make conversation with them out of good will.

Basically what im trying to say is I want a company to manage Atlus as irresponsible as they have been to maintain the status quo. All for my selfish pleasure.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Axm wrote: OH you wanna rumble nerd?! :-o

Ryudo wrote:

Yes you are wrong. Very Wrong. Breath of Fire & Mega Man say hello.

Ya I know they lost alot of money. Thats why I said what I said. Still doesnt take away from the fact id rather have them take over Atlus then Sega. Ew...Sega.. they make me sick more than EA or Activision sometimes.
And BoF sure I can take that... but Mega Man? Didnt they like just do 8 and 9? Maybe I dont care about Mega Man that much to want more than that. Sorry brah. Dont really care about Mega Man X4 or whatever the hell you guys have been trying to demand.

Ryudo wrote:Square. No,no they don't. Not anymore and Square keeps losing money also.

What? Care about RPG's? Uh ya.. they do. And yes loosing money but still, id rather them have Atlus then Sega. Atleast Square-Enix is irresponsible and baller enough to just say fuck it make a Final Fantasy 13-3, 14 Reborn and 15. I mean, talk about high risk for high return. I also like everyones hair who works there. So cute.

Ryudo wrote:The best 3 options for Atlus were these.

Nintendo

Gung Ho

Marvelous.

Eww.
Eww.
And meh.. not a bad choice. But would Marvelous be able to actually keep things rolling the way they have been? I really dont think so.

How about Namco your highness? They good enough?
Honestly I think Sega could work out but they are way inconsistent and I just plain hate them now these days.
They are like an annoying family member who you hate to see during the holidays but damn they are family so you have to try and make conversation with them out of good will.

To get Square out of te way. No they don't. They want to focus n big budget hypometers and they did and guess what http://www.destructoid.com/tomb-raider- ... 9692.phtml

They failed. Was that enough to wake up Square. Nope it made it worse
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/27/sq ... fic-games/
Less RPG's for the west. Don't think so? Where is Dragon Quest X Where is Dragon Quest VII?
Sorry they were too busy with this crap
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatrhythm_Final_Fantasy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bust-a-Move_Universe

So the company that cares so much about RPG's ..well you know the SaGA series? The RPG series once nearly as big as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest in Japan? Well Square forgot about it and turned it into social games. Because they care so much.

Capcom wo when I say is broke I mean THQ broke. Capcom is dead and want to know why? because they don't know how to hand thier own franchises. They are not selling because they keep fucking it up. Those games cost them major bucks. They didn't listen to the fans just tried to jump on the trend train. http://www.gamespot.com/dmc-devil-may-c ... -67207179/

Think they know what works and makes money? http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2011/0 ... ncellation

Really?!......I mean really?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mig ... ref=search
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm

This is fun. It's like arguing with someone who doesnt know that I know everything they were going to say, but just doesnt get your point.
Oh wait it's not like that. It is that.

What im trying to say is.. Fuck Sega.
They dont deserve Atlus.
And ya, nobody really deserves them either. But id rather it just not be Sega.
Last edited by Axm on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming