Should the UK bring back capital punishment?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Should the UK bring back capital punishment? (Total votes: 6)

Poll ended at Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:37 am

Yes
67%
No
33%

Should the UK bring back capital punishment?

Postby QWERTY » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:37 am

I've been giving this subject some serious thought recently. I used to be firmly against capital punishment but I've recently changed my mind. The one thing that really used to put me off it was the fact that innocent men have been wrongly convicted in the past and and put to death due to dodgy evidence or false statements. However things have now changed. With the advent of new forensic techniques we can no have 100% certainty in the safeness of a conviction. No innocent ever needs die again.

So I propose that the death sentence is brought back.

Capital punishment can also be used to benefit the victims and their families using a more modern approach. With cable and satelite TV in almost every home the infrastructure is now there for pay per view hangings, electrocutions and lethal injections. The victims families could also have more of a say in how those found guilty should be put to death. This would make for more entertaining executions and would boost viewing figures bringing in more much needed cash for the bereaved.

Discuss.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Re: Should the UK bring back capital punishment?

Postby OL » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:42 am

Sounds like a brilliant way to boost the economy.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:43 am

No, the best way to deal with severe crimes is to actually banish those who commit said crimes from society. That means, fly em over the north pole, give em a few rations n provisions, strap a parachute to their backs without telling them how to operate it, boot em out, if they survive they survive, if they don't they don't.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby QWERTY » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:52 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: No, the best way to deal with severe crimes is to actually banish those who commit said crimes from society. That means, fly em over the north pole, give em a few rations n provisions, strap a parachute to their backs without telling them how to operate it, boot em out, if they survive they survive, if they don't they don't.

Why should we, the taxpayers, have to pay for their flights and provisions? Why not just 'ave orf with their 'eads (figuratively speaking) and get some much needed revenue in the process? It's just common sense.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:55 am

They should re-introduce slavery for serious prisoners, IMO. If they choose to be unproductive and/or disruptive, their food and water rations will be reduced. Human rights laws would never allow it though.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:01 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: They should re-introduce slavery for serious prisoners, IMO. If they choose to be unproductive and/or disruptive, their food and water rations will be reduced. Human rights laws would never allow it though.

This is a seriously good idea. Plus, David Cameron is attempting to withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights, so there is a possibility that a punishment along these lines could happen in the future. Win-win all round imo.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:05 pm

TBH I think the UK should be deciding what happens here, and giving two fingers to the EU when it suits them. France has been getting away with similar for a long time. Could be a scary precedent to set though, if they (in power) truly thought they could just do WTF they wanted...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:03 pm

QWERTY wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: No, the best way to deal with severe crimes is to actually banish those who commit said crimes from society. That means, fly em over the north pole, give em a few rations n provisions, strap a parachute to their backs without telling them how to operate it, boot em out, if they survive they survive, if they don't they don't.

Why should we, the taxpayers, have to pay for their flights and provisions? Why not just 'ave orf with their 'eads (figuratively speaking) and get some much needed revenue in the process? It's just common sense.

Because it's a fate worse than death. And coz it's my idea it'D be funded solely by the PM.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

QWERTY wrote:Capital punishment can also be used to benefit the victims and their families using a more modern approach. With cable and satelite TV in almost every home the infrastructure is now there for pay per view hangings, electrocutions and lethal injections. The victims families could also have more of a say in how those found guilty should be put to death. This would make for more entertaining executions and would boost viewing figures bringing in more much needed cash for the bereaved.

They could make a TV show about this. I've already thought about a perfect name for it already!

Crimson Ryan has received 2 thanks from: OL, silent killer
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby wude » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:24 pm

How about sharia law?
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby mue 26 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Qwerty's weekly troll thread again. Anyway here's an observation I find slightly disturbing, especially considering the frequency with which I've encountered it: people arguing against capital punishment, but purely from the point of view that we should put serious criminals into a lifetime of solitary confinement, as that would be more tortuous for them than a quick death. Whenever I hear this (and I've heard it quite a lot) I just tend to grimace and look for the exit.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby QWERTY » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:42 pm

mue 26 wrote: Qwerty's weekly troll thread again.

I don't post threads on here every week you muppet.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:51 pm

No, but since your first topic of the year, you're just one topic shy of averaging out at one per week. Trust me. I was sad enough to check.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:31 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: No, but since your first topic of the year, you're just one topic shy of averaging out at one per week. Trust me. I was sad enough to check.

How's the business going?

QWERTY has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Perfect_Chaos
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Well. Kinda. I'm not doing what I expected to be doing, and it's more along the lines of "freelancer that can provide services" as opposed to "service provider", but it's still doing summat I love, and that's what it was all about really. Just have to take lengthy breaks every hour or so to "reset my ears".

Thanks for asking though, how's the planning for Oz coming along?

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: wude
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Next

Return to Off Topic