the halloween thread

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: the halloween thread

Postby Raithos » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:11 pm

south carmain wrote: geez I would hate to be the kid that trick or treats you guys

people must have given them tricks instead of treats when they were kids lol
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Thief » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:52 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Halloween is another one of those holidays that Americans made up as they have terrible attention spans. They seem to need something going on every month to stop themselves going crazy. Over here we just have Christmas and Easter (Which isn't much). None of this bullshit like Thanksgiving and 4th of July.

Who the heck complains about too many holidays?

Thief has received a thanks from: Rakim
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:03 am

Thief wrote:
Riku Rose wrote: Halloween is another one of those holidays that Americans made up as they have terrible attention spans. They seem to need something going on every month to stop themselves going crazy. Over here we just have Christmas and Easter (Which isn't much). None of this bullshit like Thanksgiving and 4th of July.

Who the heck complains about too many holidays?

Japan is like that too. We just had national physical fitness day. We don't have to work instead they want us to celebrate exercise.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby silent killer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:36 am

Here's something I put together for today. It's for all you humbugs out there. It tells a rather dark tale.
phpBB [video]
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby QWERTY » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:13 am

south carmain wrote: geez I would hate to be the kid that trick or treats you guys

I don't mind trick or treaters, provided they're not bloody teenagers. There comes a time in your life when you have to realise that it's just not acceptable to dress up like a cunt and beg for confectionary. I think once you get to secondary school then that should be the end of it. One of my friends had a gaggle of teenage fuckwits trick or treat her house dressed as slutty nurses. Asking for sweets. Sweets.

It does seem that it has now become another excuse for companies to peddle their poorly produced bollocks, which the general populous lap up en masse. Maybe I'm just getting far too cynical and pessimistic in my old age but it wasn't this bad when I was a lad. Consume, consume, consume.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:14 am

QWERTY wrote:It does seem that it has now become another excuse for companies to peddle their poorly produced bollocks, which the general populous lap up en masse. Maybe I'm just getting far too cynical and pessimistic in my old age but it wasn't this bad when I was a lad. Consume, consume, consume.

Definitely. People at work were talking about having a Halloween party this weekend, asking if everybody was doing anything this weekend to celebrate Halloween? FFS, grow up. Go watch a horror movie or play a horror game, sure, but parties and cards dedicated to the least important "celebration" is pretty sad, especially since Bonfire Night is literally a week after.

I don't think you're being jaded/cynical about it at all, people really are just sad fucks nowadays.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:52 pm

You people sound like Ryudo.

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: silent killer
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm just as old as you fucks but I just shut up and have fun.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Thief
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby beedle » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:13 pm

it's lame. I like the fifth of November though, the idea of the cold weather, huddling round a bonfire eating warm food, watching the remains of a catholic effigy burn to cinders.
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Which film was it that had the kids in pumpkin masks turning into snakes and cockroaches when the pumpkin mask manufacturers' advert came on the TV? IIRC it had a doctor who worked it all out who ended up roaring "STOP IT!" at TV stations down the phone at the end....
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:39 am

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: Which film was it that had the kids in pumpkin masks turning into snakes and cockroaches when the pumpkin mask manufacturers' advert came on the TV? IIRC it had a doctor who worked it all out who ended up roaring "STOP IT!" at TV stations down the phone at the end....

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch

John Carpenter intended to make Halloween films as different tales as evidenced in the above but buckled to studio pressure to return to Michael Myers after 3 under performed at the box office.

QWERTY has received 2 thanks from: beedle, St. Elmo's Fire
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm all for Halloween but it should be for kids. It sucks that more people over here don't bother handing out sweets or in most cases answer the door. As a kid I used to go out and trick or treat with a huge group for hours and we would get tons of stuff but most just do a few streets and come home with about 6 chocolate bars.

Then on the other hand you have some middle aged woman in a bank dressed as a cat and all you can think is she should deal with her menopause like a normal person.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:46 pm

I think the same of Christmas to be honest. Once you get older and earn your own money, it's really much less important.

Did get a load of kids this Halloween saying that.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Previous

Return to Off Topic