Review The Last Game You Beat

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:13 am

Spec Ops: The Line.

Very good game. I liked the combat alot, it was simple to pick up but still challenging enough to be enjoyable. I loved how guiding your teammates to kill certain targets doesn't curve the difficulty of the game at all, it's more tactical and ultimately you have to take the initiative in order to move on to the next area.

The story was quite good in some parts too. After awhile I figured out Nolan North was the voice of the main guy, Walker, and suddenly had a major "Uncharted"-vibe when the action sequences hit. There was that one major scene that shocked the hell out of me and shifted the tone for the rest of the game, which I thought was cool.

Not sure about the Fight Club twist at the end. I think they completely overdid it at that point.

But the thing I loved the most about this game? The mother fuckin' soundtrack! Damn the music was so GOOD. Now I have to get that mixtape somewhere!

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Ri_oh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:50 am

Dementium 2 HD - PC

The original was one of the only reasons I held onto my DS as long as I did. Having a horror game for a mobile console was a real treat. Though the saving and level design did cause me to rage quit a few times, overall I really thought they were onto something special. I traded in my DS before the 2nd one came out, but heard lots of good things. Apparently they had addressed most of the major problems of the first.

It made me very excited to hear the 2nd game was getting the HD treatment for a PC port. I followed the game for months until they announced it would be released right before Christmas. I pre-ordered and eagerly awaited it to unlock on my Steam account.

I feel like I have been raped in the face. How did they port this so badly? Aside from the freezing and saving problems the game has absolutely terrible hit detection. It literally feels like i'm playing a DS game blown up to a bigger screen.

Some of these problems could be patched, yes. But the level design is bland. The game isn't even close to scary. And the "HD" tag is a complete joke. In a way i'm glad I pre-ordered, so I only wasted $10 instead of $15. Though it would have been nice to not get ripped off at all. Terrible game.

My video review:
phpBB [video]

Ri_oh has received a thanks from: Axm
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ri_oh
XBL: ri_oh86
Steam: ri_oh
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:30 pm

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag (PS4)

Graphics/Performance

Being that this is a multiplatform game that’s been up-ported to PS4 or ported from PC, it isn’t the best example of what the system is capable of. Id say it isn’t even fair to label it completely “next-gen” enough, however despite the competition out there this game is still very beautiful, detailed and succeeds at producing a visceral environment that draws you into the world. At the end of the day, once you’ve experienced so many of the other things the game has to offer the graphics are an afterthought and shouldn’t be the main reason to play this game.

The performance of the game is actually really impressive though. You can be sailing in your ship one minute, approach an island, let go of your wheel, jump off board, swim to the island, run around the island collecting items and then get back in the water strait to your ship and navigate away all without loading times or noticeable slow down. It’s a seamless experience that makes you really feel like it’s an open persistent world.

Some negatives I have to mention though are some of the glaring bugs riddled throughout the game you will randomly encounter. Every kind of bug you can think of will be in this game. Crashes, Sound cut outs, object and NPC clipping, NPC’s disappearing, draw distance popping in and out, late rendering.. I could go on and on. I wouldn’t say it ruins the experience, but you can tell they should have gone though WAY more QA Bug testing and fixes before releasing the game in its current state. Honestly it’s really disappointing to see so many bugs in the game because I liked it so much for what it does well performance wise as I mentioned. In the end it’s nothing game breaking but it’s certainly huge point losses in my book.

Story

This is a great reason to play the game. While I preferred the stories in AC2 and AC3, AC4 is not far off in telling a fun, more lighthearted adventure. The character development is light but satisfactory enough to make you care about them. The overall story arch is at times convoluted and aimless due to Kenway’s attitude, but you still feel a sense of purpose behind Kenway’s actions and why you are in a mission. So again, do play this game for the story because it’s actually really fun to experience.

Gameplay

I’m going to keep it real simple here. It’s really all the same you’ve dealt with since.. really AC1 and 2. Theirs a couple small refinements over 3 but nothing too noteworthy to sway anyone into the game who didn’t like the other ones. Fortunately for me I’ve always liked the gameplay in AC and I enjoyed it here as well. The biggest positive here is the improved ship battles. Its faster and more fluid, but really the same hat from AC3. Great fun though, despite the occasional frustrating control issue you’ve dealt with in previous titles that haven’t been solved.

Sound

Also some major positives and major negatives here. On one hand you have a really great soundtrack with beautiful strong scores throughout the game you’ll never get tired of hearing. Theirs also some great sea shanty songs being sung by your crew as you sail along, creating a very authentic atmosphere.

The major negatives in the sound department come from recycled sound effects that have seemingly been the same since AC2. While some may consider this to be a unifying distinguishing trait for the game that makes you “feel at home” with the series, I feel quite the opposite. I quickly became tired of hearing the same sound effects I’ve heard since 2008. Couple that with the occasional sound bug and you’ll be unsurprised remembering this is a yearly release series short of Call of Duty levels in recycling.

----------------------------------------------------------
In the end, it left me with a great experience. I’m just starting to get into the multiplayer as it’s my last hurdle in gaining a platinum for it so maybe ill update my thoughts later on with that aspect of the game. However from what I’ve seen so far it’s also pretty much the same experience from previous entries.

The game leaves me with an overall feeling that Ubisoft needs to make a massive change to keep gamers like me interested in the series. New locations and new stories are a good reason to keep playing but not a great reason. I was able to pick this game up on sale for $40 and I think that was well worth it, however if AC5 is revealed to again be the same game with many of the same assets being reused, paying even $40 again will be a hard sale to make with me.

I did see a new article I think on Kotaku stating they are planning to make some changes with the series so hopefully it does come about and I can be re-energized.

Until then it gets a solid…

3.3/5
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:03 pm

Assassin's Creed. The first one.

It started out great, I liked how the whole futuristic thing played out with the medieval period. The whole "New World Order" and "Templars" conspiracy storyline was pretty cool.

However, near the end, it just completely frustrated the hell out of me. I didn't mind the climbing and the fighting initially, but towards the end trying to find the right towers to climb in order to unlock the next set of missions was getting awfully aggravating. If it wasn't one tower, I had to jump or climb back down and check the next one. That was so monotonous I felt like my head was going to explode. I hated having to do that to get just the missions.

Also constantly having to ride back from the Kingdom to the jump-point between cities was awfully tedious. I really hated that too. But around the Dock area, things just started to get ridiculous. Apparently Altaïr loves to jump in the fucking water but has no capabilities whatsoever to swim, so everytime that fucker drowned I had to run ALL the way back from the last checkpoint only for him to fucking jump back in the water. FUUUUUUU--

And not only that, as I began to get more notorious, it soon becomes a fucking crime for me to RUN around the city block. RUN AROUND!! Jeez, I get it, I draw more attention to myself if I run around but whenever I sit on a fucking bench seconds after turning the corner, everything is totally cool again? They don't recognize me until I start jogging?! Ugh...and worse of all, whenever one of those street bums starts pushing you around, that's also an indicator that i'm the motherfucker they're looking for and start beating me down. That really started to piss me off after awhile and it really ruined the fun for me.

I ended up having to rush after Memory Block 5 just so I can beat the fucking thing. I difficulty hike was too much, it felt like they were artificially lengthening the game by making it so damn difficult to get the missions and to move around. Even the fighting, which I enjoyed initially, was getting too ridiculous. Overall it was a fun romp but it quickly wore out its welcome, but not because it was getting too repetitive...it was because it was trying so hard to be challenging in all the wrong ways. I wouldn't have minded the repetitiveness if I could just run to the missions right away, jump to the cities quickly and more seamlessly, and not have to constantly worry about getting detected for stupid shit like running around town.

I'll be looking forward to playing the sequel, because the game play was quite good but I EXPECT it to eliminate all that shit I found aggravating. And it better, oooh IT BETTER.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Axm
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:14 am

It does man. 2 is a superior game in every way. And 3 has been my favorite so far. So take a breather and pick them up sometime.
But like I said in my review of 4 if you wanna read it, the series starts to loose steam with recycling things after awhile. But id never take back the experience in playing them.

Axm has received a thanks from: Kenny
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:58 am

Yeah I read it, thanks for the heads up. I put the entire main series in my Gamefly queue.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:36 am

By "main series", do you just mean the numbered entries, or all the console games?
Because Brotherhood and Revelations are just as integral to the whole thing as the numbered games are. Skip one, and you'll find yourself hearing a whole bunch of story stuff you never saw. Brotherhood may as well be 3, Revelations may as well be 4, and AC3 may as well be AC5.
Really wish they wouldn't have broken up the numbered games the way they did. It seems to throw a lot of people off, thinking that Brotherhood and Revelations are just "spinoffs," rather than the legitimate sequels they actually are.

OL has received a thanks from: Axm
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:43 am

All the console games, including Brotherhood and Revelations. I count them as part of the main series even if the numericals are not on the front covers. I plan on playing them in the order in which they came out.

I just can't do the handheld versions, the 3DS and PSP ones, because I just don't own those systems and don't plan to in the near future.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bambi » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:23 pm

OL wrote: By "main series", do you just mean the numbered entries, or all the console games?
Because Brotherhood and Revelations are just as integral to the whole thing as the numbered games are. Skip one, and you'll find yourself hearing a whole bunch of story stuff you never saw. Brotherhood may as well be 3, Revelations may as well be 4, and AC3 may as well be AC5.
Really wish they wouldn't have broken up the numbered games the way they did. It seems to throw a lot of people off, thinking that Brotherhood and Revelations are just "spinoffs," rather than the legitimate sequels they actually are.

I feel the exact same way about Resident Evil: Code Veronica.

Bambi has received 2 thanks from: Axm, OL
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Jokatech19 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:08 pm

Deus Ex - Human Revolution
I'm sure this game has been played and reviewed, but it had such an impact on me, I had to review it. This is what games are supposed to be. This is the first time in a long time that I felt like a giddy teenager wanting to run and tell people about the game and the ending. Before I praise the game, I have to say my one gripe with this game- it also was my gripe with another great square enix game of recent history: "Nier." The profanity is over the top in these games and doesn't have to be. They cram curses into wherever they can. I know I'm part of the huge minority in this stance here in debauched 2014. Profanity is treated like a fine wine these days, where it's an insult to not use it. To each his own.

Anyway, upon starting the game, I felt like it might be an awkward shooter pretending to be an RPG. I also didn't really like the first person aspect at first. Those turn-offs usually keep me from purchasing the game. But the clerk at the Gamestop where I bought it ( who was actually a knowledgeable gamer) swore that I wouldn't regret the purchase. The price was cheap so I bought it.

The shooter aspects are well executed like Mass Effect. They aren't overbearing. The story and side quests are very deep and pull you in. The side quests tie in so well, you feel compelled to complete them. Before I knew it, I was dozens of hours into the game upgrading my character and trailing off on my own missions. Your character is something called an augment in the game- similar to a cyborg. The public screams for regulation thinking the military is using this technology to suppress them. Therefore, as the protagonist, you are hated by most. The funny thing is, in the beginning, you are incredibly vulnerable and weak. The slightest jumps and gunfire obliterate you. That was frustrating, but as you hang with it, after a while you are actually augmented. I loved causing havoc when I got strong. I love how the game takes note of your actions. I needed some files from the police station and a former friend turned his back on me. Also the police chief who I had dirt on, refused to bend. So after going through the sewers and getting in the back way, I blasted through the whole station, which would have been impossible before I got stronger. The next time I came to town, it was in the papers that an unidentified gunman took out almost the entire police squad for Detroit.
In this game, stealth is not easy. You can't just recover after a mistake all the time. Part of what causes this is that your objective can be unclear, and in the middle of a heavily patrolled area. I found myself having to step up and find a way to take out an entire area of heavily armed troops to progress. I didn't like that too much. And that got exceedingly hard towards the end of the game, when troops had cloaking shields and augmentation, along with skin fiber shielding that made them ridiculously armored. At first I thought it was a glitch, but you have to move a lot and methodically take out some of the later units, because they will have several big guys with heavy machine guns that can take 7-8 shots to the face from a sniper rifle with ease. The game didn't have many bosses. In fact there are only about 4 or so. And 2 of them are the same person. This still fits, because there are a lot of covert assignments.

Scattered around the game are ebooks which contain excerpts and articles on nanotechnology. It's very thought out and intriguing. It has such an interactive environment, it felt very rewarding to sneak into abandoned apartments and find ebooks and hack computers to find emails that contained funny and very informative material. It's like a living breathing city. Conversations between NPC's are long, and involving. TV's play news shows. Store merchants and locals will react to what is going on. It was a great experience.
The ending was beautiful, and tied in the very real theme of how self destructive mankind can be. I won't spoil, but I love games like this. That's something that also drew me to Metal Gear Solid. When games have a purpose like that, to me that's something that makes it true art. The protagonist's soliloquy and the visuals in the ending had me speechless and almost in tears. Even during the credits, you can see the photos that the team took along the journey of making this game and the chemistry that they all had. It makes you appreciate everything even more. I have to give this game...

10/10

Jokatech19 has received a thanks from: OL
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:48 pm

does the triangle replacing the A in the name mean that the best version is on playstation? :-o

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Jokatech19
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:36 pm

Not sure about the perfect score, but yeah, that game was excellent. Keep meaning to get the complete edition or whatever, with all the extra content in it.

OL has received a thanks from: Jokatech19
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS)

Beat it last night and damn those final boss fights were tough. Just what you'd expect from a MegaTen game, I guess. I'll keep it short this time.

Gameplay

It's very much like Persona 1 style, first person exploration & first person turn-based battles. The map is very useful since it's dual screen on 3DS, you only have to look at the bottom screen to see where you are. Demon negotiations in this game is much better than the early Persona games and it's easier for me to work out what the demons want to hear now. The battles are swift and over before you know it. No battle transitions, you're straight into a battle. The attacks are basically in the same style as the earlier MegaTen games: pick commands for all of your party members/demons and it's a back and forth between you and the enemies. The bosses are frequently challenging and the dungeons are pretty unique for MegaTen since it's all futuristic. No loading.

Aesthetics

Good all over, certainly not my favourite for story in the series (it's probably its weakest aspect), but the characters are interesting and the world is very much full of retro cyberpunk imagery [very much the 90s style cyberpunk, where having these massive internetworks that keeps track of everybody's details on one single system, are unheard of] and a neat twist on the MegaTen mythos. The game shows its age with its soundtrack and visuals, but that just adds to its charm for me. I love stuff from the 90s and the game manages to make me nostalgic for this game despite never having played it before. As usual the art is damn good, but it's in that weird transitional phase that Kaneko went through in between his early MegaTen style from SMT1 & 2 to the Persona 2 games where it's a bit of both styles mixed together.

It's kinda neat seeing that you can enter random online forums and see these "fake" online handles face to face. Shame there's no dialogue choices like in Atlus later games. There's no branching paths either unless you decide to play through the game from the start on your NG+ file, which will change an aspect of the ending, which I couldn't be arsed doing since it's a good 40 hours JRPG.

Overall, really enjoyed it. Highly recommended to other MegaTen fans and other fans of cyberpunk related stuff.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Dishonored.

It's already been widely-publicized how much freedom the gameplay affords you in accomplishing your goals. And it's already been said how incredibly deep and well-thought-out the history, mythology, and lore for it is, elaborated on through countless books, notes, letters, and diary entries throughout the game.
Indeed, it deserves praise for both of these things. It's a remarkable game overall.

One thing that I hadn't really heard anything about prior to playing it, though, is the extreme sense of melancholy it presents. On first inspection, it may appear to be an uber-stylish supernatural stealth-actioner, and as such you might go into it expecting a kind of "Hollywood blockbuster" popcorn feel to it -- the kind of thing most games seem to aim for these days -- but the truth is completely opposite. Sure, you can play it as a flashy action game, considering all the freedom you're afforded to do things as you please, but the setting, characters, and overall tone are pretty damn depressing. There's rarely any sense of hope floating in the air, even when speaking to your allies in the inbetween-levels hub area. Most of the characters are presented with their worst traits front-and-center, rather than going out of their way to be likable. One of the most interesting items in the game is a mechanical heart that you can aim at people to hear secrets and extra information, and this makes things seem even bleaker than they were to begin with. The heart almost never tells you anything nice about people. It's usually all about how impure everyone is. And even when it tells you something redeeming about a person, it's usually somewhere along the lines of "She goes hungry so her children can eat," or something like that. It's all incredibly downbeat.
Not to mention that the game takes place while a deadly plague is afflicting the city, which leads to even more downer material. One level in particular has you coming upon a dumping site for plague-ridden corpses, and you find a couple of survivors crawling out of all that horribleness, lamenting their situation and wondering if they'll ever see their families again. It's not exactly the lightest of material. And even though the game never does anything unnecessarily exploitative with its subject matter, the atmosphere still remains incredibly thick with sadness everywhere you go.
As one more example, there's even a scene where you stumble upon one of the characters spying through a keyhole on a woman bathing. I think most games would handle this as something funny and comical, but not so here. The guy is embarrassed and doesn't know what to say, and the whole situation makes you view him with pity, rather than providing a giggle.

While some of this might make it sound like a bad thing, it actually makes me appreciate the game even more. The game has been criticized for having a "predictable" story with an abrupt ending. And while, to an extent, that absolutely is true, I think the atmosphere makes up for anything like that, because it's just so damn effective. Yeah, I saw the "twists" coming, and yeah, the ending was a little quick for my tastes. But in my eyes little of that matters since I think the real effort was put into producing a unique, downbeat tone. And in that regard it's absolutely brilliant.

I've only finished the main game at the moment (which I plan to eventually replay, since I chose to go non-lethal for my first playthrough), and still have the DLC packs to tackle, which pretty much amount to an entire second game. Taking a break now to play a couple other things first.
I do have to say that the initial complaints from people about how short Dishonored is are ridiculous. There are 9 levels, and each took me around an hour to two hours to beat, playing things stealthy (as the game is mainly intended, considering the influence it takes from Thief). I felt completely satisfied by the end of it. I don't see at all how this game isn't long enough for people.

OL has received a thanks from: Axm
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Jokatech19 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:16 am

NINJA BLADE

I played Ninja Gaiden as a child and remember how well the game aged over the years. It had interestingly designed snow levels and bosses. It was also difficult, which in my opinion can immortalize a game, which is why it is so important. Years later, I observed a friend purchase Ninja Gaiden for Xbox with caution. I thought they might ruin the game, so after he beat it and showed me the amazing graphics, I still was skeptical. I eventually broke down and bought NG for the Xbox. To my surprise, the game was intact with its roots and very martial arts oriented. I loved the combat and the levels were well done. I felt accomplished after beating it and went on to beat part 2 for the Xbox 360.

Then after beating 2, I saw Ninja Blade on the shelf for a very cheap price. I kept hearing about the Ninja Gaiden clone that it was and felt that it could be a good thing. I purchased it and found that to be somewhat true. It is like NG, but it is more streamlined and has additional elements.

One of the first things that will stand out to you is the fact that it is loaded with QTE's. Some people hate this, but I think it helps give an interactive feel to the cinematic heavy experience. Also the QTE's are very well integrated into the combat so they don't feel like add-ons. Another thing that you will notice right away is the fact that the level are like huge movies. There is no saving in between. You better just have the hour it may take to clear the level, because you only save in between them. I didn't mind this that much, because the level were so epic, you really don't feel like playing more than 1 at a time. The story in this game is very convoluted. The city and world are slowly being overcome by parasites that infest people and turn them into monsters. The hero's father is soon found to be infected. The first level is like a huge movie where the hero is almost killed. The story is not explained well, yet the game almost tries to flaunt its depth which is stupid.

The boss battles are huge and can be very frustrating. One particular boss you fight a couple of times, and I dreaded facing him. The levels are sometimes straight forward, and sometimes call for you to back track with no real clues. The weapon system is simple. You have 3 main weapons, different distances and strengths. You upgrade them. You have 3 ninjutsu spells that you also spend points upgrading. The game isn't really super deep like NG. You can customize your look which I love, with clothing, emblems, etc that you find throughout the levels.

In the end, the game is a very well done clone. It has its own style. It's difficult simplicity with a lot of style. The difficulty rounds the game off and helps keep it from being somewhat mediocre. It's all about gameplay with this one. The ending tried to tie up loose ends that it never even properly developed. The poor story telling kept me from being gripped by the game. Thankfully, the fun gameplay, cool customization, graphics and difficulty saved the day.

7.9/10

Jokatech19 has received a thanks from: OL
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming