What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby Raithos » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:34 pm

Oh man I was honestly joking lol I had given you a thanks after reading it. I'm almost positive that was in the trailers we posted back when they first announced it, it showed some battle in a what looked like a train station. Sorry, my sarcasm totally missed the mark!

edit: yeah looking at it now it wasn't funny. but at 6:30am with no coffee it was lol

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:07 pm

You may as well keeping playing OL, im about to start the game myself. It sounds like its keeping your attention, so thats definitely good. I love those games that just wont let you put it down.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:11 pm

I think the only thing that's a bit of a fail in my eyes so far (aside from the English dubbing for Elle) is that Ludger, the protagonist, isn't really much of a character. It's weird, because they treat him a bit like a Chrono Trigger-esque silent protagonist, meant to be more of an avatar for the player (which makes sense, since player choice is a big part of the narrative)... but then he also speaks here and there, in short little one or two-word sentences. It's like they couldn't decide what they really wanted him to be, and the end result is... kind of strange. Usually Tales protagonists are very talky, so it feels like there's this weird void in the story where he ought to be contributing more... but he isn't.
It's hard to explain. But suffice it to say I really would have preferred if he were just a character of his own, with full dialogue and all.

Oh, and odd little detail: I got a bunch of little extra accessories at the start since I had save data for Xillia and Graces, and one of them is a little doll of Yuri from Tales of Vesperia. But for some reason, he isn't called Yuri... he's called "Danger Jr." :-s
Is it because of some kind of licensing issue or something? That may explain why we never got Vesperia for PS3 in the west; maybe Microsoft has the rights to the various names related to it or something.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:47 am

Beat DmC on Dante Must Die. Playing it again on Heaven or Hell mode.

After this I'll go back to playing MGS4, Sonic Generations, and DMC1 or 3.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Oppy
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Axm » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:23 am

Destiny (PS4)

Axm has received a thanks from: Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:17 pm

Tomb raider 2 PSone

Fucking hell. I thought it was me at first. These games are just one big puzzle where you have no direction on how to finish it. I grew up on these games. I'd love to know what I thought of them back in the day.

They play just like an open world but no direction, poor shooting combat and bad controls for Lara.

Don't get me wrong the story and cinematic directions of the cutscenes I've really grown to appreciate. But overall as a gaming experience it's clunky and frustrating.

/Drunk
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:45 am

Tomb Raider 2 was a nightmare. Yet I eventually beat the PC version with it playing at probably 5 frames per second.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:55 pm

Currently up to Chapter 4 on Danganronpa 2 and it definitely trumps the first for me in all categories. The game has plenty of mindfucks/twists, fun characters, crazy storyline, better pacing, better music and ridiculous scenarios. It's a really good looking game on the Vita too, tempting for me to get Spike Chunsoft's other game on Vita, Virtue's Last Reward even though I have it on 3DS already and already played through that and loved it a couple of years ago.

Looking at upcoming Japanese adventure games

Crimson Ryan wrote: Tomb raider 2 PSone

Fucking hell. I thought it was me at first. These games are just one big puzzle where you have no direction on how to finish it. I grew up on these games. I'd love to know what I thought of them back in the day.

They play just like an open world but no direction, poor shooting combat and bad controls for Lara.

Don't get me wrong the story and cinematic directions of the cutscenes I've really grown to appreciate. But overall as a gaming experience it's clunky and frustrating.

/Drunk

Yeah. I hate it when I go back to games that I used to love back in the day and they aren't as good as I remember them being. Some games have aged like fine wine and others unfortunately just have not stood the test of time.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:20 pm

For me personally, I just don't think of it like that. I believe if a game was good at one point, it'll always be good. You just have to be in the right mindset for it. Just because gaming itself advances and improves upon things, that doesn't mean the game becomes worse as time goes on; the game is the same as it ever was. It's all relative, I guess.
We can go back and absolutely trash just about any game from 15 or more years ago just on the basis that new stuff is "better," but that's our own holdups, not the fault of the games.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:30 pm

I don't know about the puzzles, but the controls for the older Tomb Raiders were always horrible. I remember people raving about them and then finally playing a demo of TR2, I was like "what the fuck, I can barely control this character".

I'm so thankful for the newer ones.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:34 pm

OL wrote: For me personally, I just don't think of it like that. I believe if a game was good at one point, it'll always be good. You just have to be in the right mindset for it. Just because gaming itself advances and improves upon things, that doesn't mean the game becomes worse as time goes on; the game is the same as it ever was. It's all relative, I guess.
We can go back and absolutely trash just about any game from 15 or more years ago just on the basis that new stuff is "better," but that's our own holdups, not the fault of the games.

Eh. I dunno, I still some of these "old" games from the same generations for the first time ever, as fresh experiences and some of them are still simply brilliant and then I come across others that I have never played before and want to try and just cannot enjoy them. I think it's also to do with our changing tastes over the years and just how different games played back then to now. It's not that I'm saying they're bad or anything, just that they're not what I enjoy now.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Kenny » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:43 pm

Walking Dead: Season 2, Episodes 4 and 5.

Got these while ago and decided to dive into them. So far so good.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:06 am

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Really enjoying it. At first glance it looks like a Smash clone but fundamentally what separates the two are the All-Stars Super moves. Instead of causing enough damage to smash your opponents out of the screen, you build up a points bar to three different levels of super moves.

Instead of low, medium or high strength/range attacks, the strategy is trying each characters moves to see which gives the most amount of kills. One example would be Parappa the Rappa's level 1 is a close range attack with a skateboard, good for one or two kills. Or his level 2 where he rides it across the screen and you kill any character you collide with.

The single player is quite basic, there's eight 3-minute rounds, some with items, some without, with a rival battle then the main boss, but they have tried to make a collective story about how all of these characters ended up in this situation with Polygon Man wanting to collect everyone's powers for himself.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:32 pm

I actually like it too and hope they make another for PS4. It needs a good party fighter like that.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:24 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Oh, you mean:

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Oppy
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III