Latest Purchases

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Latest Purchases

Postby mrslig100 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:27 pm

SOMEBODY DERAIL THIS THREAD IMMEDIATELY

If where gonna start shilling/defending apple someone ban me for the week.
I don't wanna get /g/ on anyone. :devillaugh:
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby south carmain » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:37 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:But they have mainly been known for making high quality and long lasting products

I never bothered much with their computer line because it's too restrictive for my taste but this certainly isn't true for their phones. The iphone is the most fragile overpriced phone on the market which only redeeming factor I can think of is that it creates good business for phone repair shops because it will break so easily and apple will charge you a shit ton of money to do basic repairs on it. As for their computers the insides use the same products as windows PCs from the same Chinese factories so I don't think they're any more break proof than a PC built with quality parts for half the price.

When it comes to macs the only advantage I see is OSX and the advantages it brings to have a propriety OS built specifically for the system they're selling you. Though personally I don't think the OS is worth such a huge price hike, sure it can get more out of the same specs a pc could but then for the same price you could buy a pc that completely blows the mac out of the water. In the end it all comes down to how much you're paying for those few advantages which apple really is overpricing.

south carmain has received a thanks from: mrslig100
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:10 am

Apple products are not terrible.
They are medicocre at best and use product placement to fool technologically challenged people into thinking they are the industry standard.
The bottem line is life always boils down to money.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:03 am

I have told many people this before, but I have a love/hate relationship with apple. I use their computers because I was taught it was the industry standard in my field when i went to school and after using them I can honestly say thats 100% true. Also, its not like microsoft is any better than apple. We could debate linux but... thats even less supported, so I dont see much reason is going there.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:32 am

Yeah no one can deny the ease of use when it comes to apple products, and certain applications are more stable on OSX but not by much. Once I saw that the Macbook Pro had the same Intel MOBO found in $250 accer laptops though my mind was officially blown. And it seems to be that way across the whole lineup now. Not as many proprietary components nowadays. No way in hell can their prices be justified by marginally better stability when most of the internals are that cheap in quality.

Different people have different needs though and its all a personal choice when it comes to electronics. So if you get what you need out of it and the limitations of OSX aren't a problem then that's all that matters really. Hope you enjoy it man!
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:20 pm

Yeah no one can deny the ease of use when it comes to apple products

As a person who had to use macbooks, macs ipads ipods and iphones, the lot.
That is utter shite and apple is utter shite. Products. Company. software. hardware. THE LOT!

mrslig100 has received a thanks from: south carmain
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:08 pm

I just want to say that if macs and apple are shit, microsoft and windows are equally as shit. Just putting that out there.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:38 pm

I just want to say that if macs and apple are shit, microsoft and windows are equally as shit. Just putting that out there.

I dont know if I would say equalliy as but I agree.

The same way apple has ruined their software over time microsoft has to keep the competition going.

The only good OS's left are linux ones and they are horribly unfinished because nobody uses them/there is no money in them.

The computer industry is in a crap state and it breaks whatever remains of my heart to see it this way.

The only people who need powerful towers now are kiddies with PC gaming machines who can dig into their parents infinite pockets for respectable processing research wrapped up in a cheap plastic case and strung together with LED lights.

The less you know about computers/the more money you have now, the more the market is suited to you.

All modern applications that are any good are built on Microsoft.NET framework which is a BITCH to run in any unix based operating systems. Many good programs that where multiplatform brought out by larger companies are being ported over to run on it. To try and make applications windows exclusive.

Use a crap os or die.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Raithos » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:52 pm

mrslig100 wrote:
Yeah no one can deny the ease of use when it comes to apple products

As a person who had to use macbooks, macs ipads ipods and iphones, the lot.
That is utter shite and apple is utter shite. Products. Company. software. hardware. THE LOT!

So you had difficulty using Apple products? I don't know what to say, other than that's actually pretty sad. I don't like them in the least, as you can see from my first paragraph there. They are severely overpriced, and the things you can do with them are extremely limited vs Windows/Linux and a complete waste of money if you ask me. But that doesn't mean they aren't easy to use. The main selling point of Apple products are how reliable they are and how easy they are to operate. Everyone knows that. The whole Apple vs Windows thing is almost as bad as Sony vs Xbox. If something fits your needs, and you want it, its your choice to decide if its worth your money or not. In this case it was worth it to him.

mrslig100 wrote:
The only good OS's left are linux ones and they are horribly unfinished because nobody uses them/there is no money in them.

The computer industry is in a crap state and it breaks whatever remains of my heart to see it this way.

The only people who need powerful towers now are kiddies with PC gaming machines who can dig into their parents infinite pockets for respectable processing research wrapped up in a cheap plastic case and strung together with LED lights.

The less you know about computers/the more money you have now, the more the market is suited to you.

All modern applications that are any good are built on Microsoft.NET framework which is a BITCH to run in any unix based operating systems. Many good programs that where multiplatform brought out by larger companies are being ported over to run on it. To try and make applications windows exclusive.

Use a crap os or die.

Wow lol. Not sure what you do for a living, or what the internet has taught you, but you are very wrong on so many levels with those statements. But you are free to rant about how apple sucks :) I won't start a debate as it would be pointless following those statements. To each their own ya know.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:58 pm

I CHOOSE LINUX!

mrslig100 has received a thanks from: Raithos
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Axm » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:04 pm

I like Apple. Have had a first gen MacBook Pro for 9 years now. Not 1 single issue in that time. Meanwhile every PC ive had as my second computer on Windows XP, 7 and 8 have given me issues. My most recent died after only 4 months of use.

And despite my preference for Android and Xperia, the iPhone has never given me an issue either and I worked in the cell phone industry for 3 years prior to moving to Japan.
Last edited by Axm on Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:05 pm

mrslig100 wrote: I CHOOSE LINUX!

Free is hard to beat man! lol

Raithos has received a thanks from: mrslig100
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:23 pm

I may try some more BSD OS's
Anyone have any experience with them?
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Raithos » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:08 pm

The quality varies so much with those. Most are based on various versions of FreeBSD. The last version I tried of it directly was 4.0 if I remember correctly. I tried Ghost, Dragonfly and a few others, but didn't see any real reason to stick with them. Had some old test servers running with FreeBSD at one time though.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:49 pm

Well this company conundrum is an argument has taken place 1000 times before today and will happen another 1000 times.
Lets move on to purchases.
I picked up this Mitsubishi DaimondPlus and about 4 other CRT's a few days back
I got the lot for a fiver so im happy with that. (The hidden cost is electric :P )
Its 22" and has a equally fun weight to match the size.
Ive got it up to 1600p like the w900 but as its 4:3 im running it at 2304x1728

As with all flat front CRT's it is a nuicense getting the corners and center in focus but its not far off now.
I may just leave it as ive had enough near-death experiences prodding flyback transformers with screwdrivers
(The front bezil is off for cleaning reasons)

One day rape dungeon lighting will go...

mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic