Hidden Tiger Swallow Style Information

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

really?

Postby Luc Bu » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:34 am

Really? that's bizzare. Something to do with time constraints?
Luc Bu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re: really?

Postby Kiyuu » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:48 am

Luc Bu wrote:Really? that's bizzare. Something to do with time constraints?

As far as I know, SEGA was planning to release the DC version both in the US
and Europe in 2001. But, Microsoft got the right to release Shenmue II exclusively
in the US just before the DC version was released. They recorded English voices
before they release the Xbox version about one year later.

Though the English version was released in Europe as well later, the DC version
was never released in the US.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Shenmue_Saga » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:35 am

Nor the Xbox version in Japan.
Shenmue_Saga
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: GM-Shenmue
XBL: GM Shenmue
Steam: gmshenmue
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

=)

Postby Luc Bu » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:54 am

Nah, it's just a name. It's not related to Lan Di's style any more than the Tiger Knuckle (which is clearly just a basic jab).

That's my knowledge too.

As far as I know, SEGA was planning to release the DC version both in the US
and Europe in 2001. But, Microsoft got the right to release Shenmue II exclusively
in the US just before the DC version was released. They recorded English voices
before they release the Xbox version about one year later.

During the end of the Dreamcast era I waited for shenmue 2, I didn't get any magazines so I didn't know the background story to the marketing, I only knew through amazon how and when to get it. Thanks Kiyuu.
Last edited by Luc Bu on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luc Bu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby mike8 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:38 am

Skillz wrote:
i still say m main theory is he did nt want to defend him self, and it had to do with the lecture the old man gave ryo in the harbor. basicly i say it he coud have done a move like the cross charge to knock out the guards so it would be only landi there, nd it would be less enticing, but he did not want to show ryo stuff, basicly the lessons he taught him it is self defense to attack he could have attacked. martial arts cna be use din self defense his dad could have attacked but he did not. he just did not want to show ryo the stuff, and moves he really could hav performed. he wanted him to see him as a role model. siple if he did attack and beat the hell out of landi if landi said , he killed hi dad, ryo would be like u kile dsome one and trust shatter....ed.. so h idd nt do shit to preserve what ryo thought about him its simple......

What kind of martial arts he taught? Is that really a good self defense? I am now searching the best martial arts for me.
mike8
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re:

Postby Kanharn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:20 pm

b_ren wrote:Enteresting find. Another one of the many wonders of Shenmue.

Agreed, they keep popping up now and then.
Kanharn
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re:

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:28 am

Peter wrote: Damn, it was hard to find information on the Emperor at all, but i did get a snippet of information on the tiger swallow style....

"The Small Tiger Swallow form is very famous in Mantis circles. It is important in the Seven Star and the Mei Hua (Plum Flower) branches in particular. The history of the form states that Wang Lang, Mantis' creator, saw a painting of a saint riding a tiger. The idea of a form with the strength of a tiger and the agility of a swallow inspired the creation of HsiaoHuYuen. This form is particularly important in teaching Mantis style to children. It trains agility and strength while promoting the skill of quick changes"

Now its not much, but there is a relation to Shenmue here. Firstly we have he reference to Seven Stars, which as we all know in Shenmue 2, became the name of the Hua family emblem, the sword of seven stars. What it says above is that the Tiger Swallow Style is important to the Seven Stars branch, so the two are definitely connected. I know in Shenmue 2, the seven star reference isn't to a style of martial art, but perhaps the sword bears some significance to the martial art, not in a combat way, but in a spiritual way that Shen Hua does not yet know about. Of course one must take into account the "powers" that have been debated that Shen Hua has to discover later on in the series. Perhaps the Tiger Swallow style is the power of the spiritual/mental martial art, harnessed into the attacking combat manoeuvre, thus suggesting that there could be a fight between Lan Di, who uses his powerul fists to attack, against Shen Hua's magical/spiritual attacks (as seen in the Beta Shenmue video)

Next we move on to possibly a confirmation of the above, in names, with the Tiger Swallow style being connected to the name Hua. Again, there is a connection between the two, that i think is becoming clear.

The final thought that comes to mind, is the notion of the painting of the "saint riding a tiger".... Could thid perhaps be Ryo? Ive always thought that Shenmue had little quirks that have hidden meanings,and the tiger on Ryos jacket falls under this category.It states above that the creator of the mantis style,created the style after looking at a painting of "a saint riding a tiger".... well could Lan Di have set about learning the Tiger Swallow Style, fr the sole use to kill the Hazukis? First with Iwao, and now onto Ryo? Also could Ryo now represent the "saint" who "rides" the dragon, and is the only one who can defeat the one who carries the Tiger Swallow style? (Lan Di) Also this point ties in with the whole Shenmue prologue, that Ryo must find the power within him, that will destroy him, release his will etc.

Theres just some points to think about folks, but it just goes to show how Shenmue is just much more than a game, dosent it. Ive NEVER experienced a story or a game with such research and depth that Shenmue has. I wish LanDC could keepte info coming so i could look into more research. Theres nothing more thrilling than looking into material that could bear a relation to the overall Shenmue story.

Shenmue is more than just a game.........

good points but lan di is not out to kill hazuki's he only came to kill/avenge iwao and take the mirror(s) he doesn't seem interested at all to kill ryo.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re:

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:29 am

land_e wrote: so is it possibe tha zhu has a bigger connection to lan di then wha we think???

also how do you kno they were cut out????

is it not possible tha something ryo does can trigger the scene ?

surely ya wouldnt kno with out checkin the script files ?

zhu has a huge connection to lan di for sure and I think suzuki even hinted at that zhu is not the person he seems to be
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Previous

Return to Shenmue III