Tomorrow Shenmue haters around the globe will eat crow

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Tomorrow Shenmue haters around the globe will eat crow

Postby Ryo Fhan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:39 am

I have heard a lot of people (friend, family) try this game back when it was released.

A lot of them had the same complaints and they aren't really into game reviews and such (talking to much, having to walk back and forth) and most of them didn' like the game other than the detail and visuals. Upon seeing it they were really interested but after they tried it for 30 min. they wanted to play something else. I can get that the game isn't for a lot of people and that is fine. I personally enjoyed the work, fighting story elements.

I do think there is a lot of room for improvement in the mission structure and design, and SH2 did fix some of that. I hope it will be improved upon for 3.
Ryo Fhan
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby manuel tripero » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:59 am

I don't agree at all.

What Shenmue did for games was amazing, so revolutionary that still is revolutionary.

Most open worlds today are fetch quests, go there minimap tells you what to do, bullshit to give some more gametime.

Shenmue was cohesive as fuck, I think Shenmue gamedesign was slick as fuck. It can have it's tweaks, but it's still amazing.
manuel tripero
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:02 am

Ryo Fhan wrote: I have heard a lot of people (friend, family) try this game back when it was released.

A lot of them had the same complaints and they aren't really into game reviews and such (talking to much, having to walk back and forth) and most of them didn' like the game other than the detail and visuals. Upon seeing it they were really interested but after they tried it for 30 min. they wanted to play something else. I can get that the game isn't for a lot of people and that is fine. I personally enjoyed the work, fighting story elements.

I do think there is a lot of room for improvement in the mission structure and design, and SH2 did fix some of that. I hope it will be improved upon for 3.

From all games, Shenmue is the one that I understand easily the negative critics. Shenmue 2, much less.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby staplepuffs27 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:15 am

Shenmue has been a joke the last decade? Absolutely. But I would be lying if I said I didn't every second with them. The memes are funny and have helped define the game as a cult classic for its occasional silliness.

I love shenmue, serious moments and funny moments alike. I've found that I get the most enjoyment out of life if I can sometimes make fun of myself and the things I adore. If anything, these are the types of memes that are going to bring a new audience to the series and give a better chance of shenmue 4. If anything, it's been beneficial and has kept shenmue relevant.
staplepuffs27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: staplepuffs27
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Sonic CD

Postby PILMAN » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:55 am

It doesn't matter what the Shenmue haters think. We've been dealing with them since the game came out.

I remember defending the game and why I liked Shenmue back in 2002 when I first started playing Shenmue II on the xbox, and I never apologized for being a fan. Meanwhile review sites and FPS fans were bashing Shenmue but I kept replaying the game. Year after year, we were told it wouldn't be remade and whenever someone would ask my favorite game, I'd always reply Shenmue.

Now the haters will either join the bandwagon or sulk, either way, we get the game we've been waiting for thanks to Yu Suzuki and the fans.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mystere » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:01 am

This is an incredible time to be a Shenmue fan. Everything we've dreamed of for 14 years is coming true... FINALLY. This amazing community has carried a torch for the series, battled the odds, faced off the negative forces and media misinformation and won. Our dear Shenmue continues.

With that said, I think dignity is a virtue and victory is 1000x classier that way.

Tonight the gaming media will sit up and take notice. Let's show 'em our best side.

"Haters" will hate. Some noses will be put out of joint. Great! But I don't really care. All that matters to me personally is that a series most people will never understand, but that I love, is continuing.
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mitsuzuki » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:47 am

Ryo Fhan wrote: Image

I felt this movie was so bad do people really like it? maybe it hass some decent parts but.... wow most of it seemed terrible to me lol

HEY.

What do you mean, do people?

Mitsuzuki has received a thanks from: Thief
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby ConanTheKing » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:37 am

Go **** yourself haters, you ruin so many things but this is one game that you failed to ruin, it's going to come out, I am going to enjoy it and so many others and it probably won't be so hard to secure funding for Shenmue IV either.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

ConanTheKing has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Himuro, Reprise
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:46 am

I agree they're flawed games. What game isn't? The difference with Shenmue 1 & 2 is the flaws bothered me less the further into the games I went. I find most games follow an opposite trajectory.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Himuro » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:49 am

Even now the haters refuse to admit Shenmue's strength. There's a thread on reddit and they don't want to acknowledge this at all.

Himuro has received 2 thanks from: ConanTheKing, mjq jazz bar
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby LucBu » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:54 am

In general I prefer playing it classy since it hurts the doubters all the more.

However, thought you all might enjoy this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=48862749

Any page is good. It's just a fantastic read. It's a few years old, at a time when there were rumours of a Shenmue Kickstarter. At one point a Mega Man fan says he would fund a Shenmue 3 kickstarter and someone replies by saying he's carrying too many burdens (Shenmue and Mega Man; that they'd never get Kickstarted). It gets good on that page on a user named 'duckroll'.

Anyway, I was listening to AC/AD's Thunderstruck which Cedric Biscay tweeted whilst I read it. You should too.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM

Nothing more needs to be said. Enjoy!
LucBu

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:58 am

Himuro wrote: Even now the haters refuse to admit Shenmue's strength. There's a thread on reddit and they don't want to acknowledge this at all.

I've seen a shocking number of people say they don't even know what Shenmue is. I imagine they're mostly teenagers.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Himuro » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:01 am

mjq jazz bar wrote:
Himuro wrote: Even now the haters refuse to admit Shenmue's strength. There's a thread on reddit and they don't want to acknowledge this at all.

I've seen a shocking number of people say they don't even know what Shenmue is. I imagine they're mostly teenagers.

No, it makes sense. DC wasn't that popular.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:03 am

I have to confess something, don't read if you are offended by sexual details:

I'm masturbating at the salty comments of the Bloodstained comments section, i have an uncontrollable erection at every comment :rotflmao:
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:09 am

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: I have to confess something, don't read if you are offended by sexual details:

I'm masturbating at the salty comments of the Bloodstained comments section, i have an uncontrollable erection at every comment :rotflmao:

Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III