Sonofabitch threw away a perfectly good Winning Can...

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Sonofabitch threw away a perfectly good Winning Can...

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:06 pm

Wow, I had no idea this was possible. Ryo should have said "hey, wait... can I have the can please?"
..or you should be able to pick it up out of the garbage can after that idiot goes away.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Supa » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:14 pm

Interesting to see if BlueMue can get a video of this little oddity.

Supa has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:27 am

Are you sure you didn't just confuse it with the orange Fanta can? I don't know but I doubt it really happened. Like has been said already, with so many people playing the game so many times over the years it had to have happened to someone before. But no one ever mentioned this happening, though it's still somewhat of a mystery.

I can try to spam Wang with drinks for a while. It would be awesome if a winning can does indeed show up.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:53 am

BlueMue wrote: Are you sure you didn't just confuse it with the orange Fanta can? I don't know but I doubt it really happened. Like has been said already, with so many people playing the game so many times over the years it had to have happened to someone before. But no one ever mentioned this happening, though it's still somewhat of a mystery.

I can try to spam Wang with drinks for a while. It would be awesome if a winning can does indeed show up.

I'm pretty damn sure, had the bullseye on it. I agree it is weird it hasn't come up before though, maybe people think it's a Fanta or something.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Supa » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:21 am

To be fair, we are still discovering new things in this game...there are probably things that are still unknown to us in these games.

Supa has received a thanks from: shengoro86
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:27 pm

This can be done easily via modding. Just swap the winning can texture with your favorite drink!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:54 pm

shengoro86 wrote: This can be done easily via modding. Just swap the winning can texture with your favorite drink!

Not really the point lol.

Still have to get to giving Wang a couple dozend drinks.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby JaySw34 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:01 pm

I've literally tried it like 15 times. It's a pain because every time I reset I need to run back to Dobuita from Yamanose. But yeah still haven't gotten him a winning can... I had to stop for a while. It was getting tedious lol
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Amir » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:15 am

Speaking of luck, I got a Gold Kids Dural with my first go on the VF Kids dispenser. 10 toys later, I got a 2nd one! \:D/

But I've got like 4 Akira 2s and 5 Wolf 2s.... :mad:

Also beat Chai for the first time ever, took me 2 gos but followed the advice about training Crawl Cyclone up to moderate and spamming it during the fight.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:52 am

I've tried it 50 times yesterday. On Demul with save states. No luck and I don't really feel the urge to continue pursuing this as I'm still unsure if I'll ever get anything out of it. The kind of savestate I use for this does work perfectly for winning cans when Ryo buys a drink so don't blame it on that.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: JaySw34
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:23 pm

BlueMue wrote: I've tried it 50 times yesterday. On Demul with save states. No luck and I don't really feel the urge to continue pursuing this as I'm still unsure if I'll ever get anything out of it. The kind of savestate I use for this does work perfectly for winning cans when Ryo buys a drink so don't blame it on that.

I really don't know how it happened :dunno: Nothing else weird on my Shenmue playthrough so far apart from getting a Kids Gold Dural first go on that machine (but then I blew 3000 yen at the harbour Tomato convenience store just to end up with a Ferry capsule toy :P ).
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jibby » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:26 pm

BlueMue wrote: I've tried it 50 times yesterday. On Demul with save states. No luck and I don't really feel the urge to continue pursuing this as I'm still unsure if I'll ever get anything out of it. The kind of savestate I use for this does work perfectly for winning cans when Ryo buys a drink so don't blame it on that.

Sorry to go off topic here, but how do you get save states to work in Demul? I see the save state option under "file" but it's just a list of empty slots that don't do anything.

As for the lucky can, forgive me if this suggestion is really stupid since I have 0 experience with modding, but could you look at the hex data to find out if the game does anything differently (such as add a flag that stops winning cans) when you buy a drink for Wang compared to when you buy a drink for yourself?
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:59 pm

Jibby wrote:Sorry to go off topic here, but how do you get save states to work in Demul? I see the save state option under "file" but it's just a list of empty slots that don't do anything.

You assign buttons on the keyboard (like 4 and 8 in my case) to save and load and just press these. It's still buggy. Sometimes Demul will crash while loading. In an unfortunate situation it will continue to crash every time you load the save. That's what happened today when I wanted to give the winning can thing another shot.
Sometimes it even crashes when you make a save and I don't have to tell you how much that sucks in Shenmue.

Jibby wrote:As for the lucky can, forgive me if this suggestion is really stupid since I have 0 experience with modding, but could you look at the hex data to find out if the game does anything differently (such as add a flag that stops winning cans) when you buy a drink for Wang compared to when you buy a drink for yourself?

I thought of this too. That would be a good thing to go after this with modding. I'm not good enough at this to search for things but James could probably find something.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Jibby
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jibby » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:12 pm

Thank you! I'll keep the crashing in mind though.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ceej » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:18 pm

BlueMue wrote: Sometimes Demul will crash while loading. In an unfortunate situation it will continue to crash every time you load the save. That's what happened today when I wanted to give the winning can thing another shot.
Sometimes it even crashes when you make a save and I don't have to tell you how much that sucks in Shenmue.

I actually just assumed the Demul Save States were completely broken. I've never gotten save states to work without Demul crashing on me.
Ceej
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue