Lan Di in Guilin

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Lan Di in Guilin

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:31 am

So we know that it's very likely that Lan Di went to Guilin ahead of Ryo.
When Ryo arrives at Guilin, on his way to Bailu village he meets Shenhua.
What if by chance, Lan Di followed them for a bit and overheard them talking about the mirrors.
He then waits and follows them to the cave without them noticing.
So what if Lan Di enters that cave, sees those two giant mirrors, a floating sword and then discovers another podium to insert the other mirror. So he does.

What happens then?
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Lan Di in Guilin

Postby Ceej » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:37 am

Are you asking if there's a chance the game starts this way?

If you are I don't think it will. Yu stated in an interview (honestly don't remember which one but it was over the last month) that he was considering starting Shenmue III at Shenhua's house. If this was going to happen the game would be starting in the cave without any second consideration.

If you're completely playing a what-if scenario..pretty sure once two mirrors are in place in that cave...this happens:

Ceej
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:58 am

Well, Shenmue III could start at Shenhua's house but there could be an introduction showing how Lan Di followed them to the cave.

I mean, most would agree that Shenmue 1 starts inside the Dojo at the Hazuki Residence. But in reality, it starts with Ryo on the path of Yamanose road.

But my point is, regardless of where Shenmue III starts I would find it awfully convenient if Lan Di doesn't enter that cave. Ryo and Lan Di are both in the same area, Ryo and Lan Di both have mirrors. Ryo and Lan Di are both searching for *something* Ryo is looking for answers and revenge and Lan Di is looking for well *something* it'd be really strange to me if Lan Di just happens by chance to miss entering the cave. He's gotta go there, sometime, right? :rotflmao:
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby JaySw34 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:13 pm

I don't think Lan Di followed him because he was at least one full day ahead of Ryo heading to the village. Ryo was following Lan Di. And when Ryo and Shenhua arrived at the cave it is clear that something had already happened and it seems Lan Di was probably involved.

JaySw34 has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby NeoShredder » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:53 pm

One thing that's got me about this is thinking back to the bad ending of Shenmue I where Lan Di's like "I heard there was another mirror", implying he obviously didn't know about it. Yet in Shenmue II, there's a big ass carving of the two mirrors right there on the wall (In fact, WHY are there two big ass replicas carved in the wall?), so if he was in the cave he'd obviously know about it.

Come to think of it, how naive is Lan Di about the 'mirrors power'? Is it in fact Tentei (The boss) the one who knows and only told Lan Di about the one mirror becuase Tentei didn't want Lan Di to have all that power to himself? Perhaps when Lan Di does finds out about it, he turns against the Chiyoumen and tries to take the power for himself? Think about it, why does he get the Yellow Head boys to go after Yuanda Zhu so desperately and show up himself in person?

My theory is that in Shenmue I Lan Di was merely sent on an errand by the big boss to retrieve what he thought was just some dusty old artifact (perhaps he too was manipulated by his own desire for revenge and the change to murder Iwao to do Tentei's dirty work) and knows nothing about it, but afterwards gets curious and learns of all the legends about the Mirrors (including about Ryo's role) and Lan Di realises the power he would be missing out on by just giving it up. After being manipulated by his desire for revenge once, he has decided to take a step back this time and observe and monitor Ryo, using him in the same way Lan Di himself was. He leads Ryo to Guilin because he's learnt about the cave from Yuanda Zhu but can't put the "sword in the stone" himself (perhaps he's taken Shenhua's stepfather because he's tried to already). Then, at the right time, he's going to step in and take the power for himself.

Perhaps the reason why he flies away at the end of Shenmue II is because he's found out about about the second mirror (after getting to Yuanda Zu- who according Yu Suzuki, "Cannot fully be trusted") and realizes that the only way to get the mirrors true power is to get Ryo to play out his part (the legend, predestined since ancient times) and do his work for him (befriending the spiritual Shenhua, which Lan Di could never do himself, and find the cave) then step in and take it for himself. I mean, why would he stick around to observe the fight with Dou Nui, then hold a prolonged stare with Ryo? He could jump down there and destroy Ryo if he wanted to. I don't think it's because its 'below him' or he just "can't be bothered" (He murdered Iwao for the first mirror!)- it's because he's the cold, calculating head of a criminal organization and wants to manipulate the young hotheaded Ryo into doing his work for him. He stares at him only because he wants to piss him off.

I mean think about it, the only reason the bad endings happen is because Ryo takes too long- perhaps this is because he thinks the gets impatient because nothing is happening and steps in himself? Perhaps, paradoxically (but makes sense to the story's theme), the only time Lan Di will ever face Ryo is when Ryo calms down and stops being manipulated by his desire for revenge, and lets Lan Di come to him instead.

(Sorry for rambling, just thinking)

NeoShredder has received a thanks from: ShenmueTree
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:24 pm

Probably Lan Di was the one in the cave, but why would he stay there if he had a helicopter ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Return to Shenmue III