Phil Spencer (Xbox) talks about Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Phil Spencer (Xbox) talks about Shenmue 3

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:37 am

Nothing really new but Spencer talked to Gameblog.fr at the Gamescom 2015.

phpBB [video]

The Shenmue 3 announcement was not a real surprise to me. Our industry is not that big you know, we are aware of most of the deals which are being established. Yu Suzuki and the games he made represent an important part of gaming history. It's cool that he succeeded in his kickstarter, although I think a lot of work is remaining to give to the fans the Shenmue they expect. I know he stays very focused.

Yes I have talked to Suzuki (gameblog.fr note : before the deal). As I said before, our industry is a tiny world. Whether you are from Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft or a developer... we all know each other. We talk with everyone, but we can't make marketing deals with everyone. It's just impossible. So you have to choose the games you think are going to have the biggest impact on your gaming system.

Personally I'm focused on one goal : raise our first party titles. You saw our catalog this year... all the time and money you spend in marketing deals on short-term take you away from what you could do with your own games. I want to concentrate on our exclusive titles for our Xbox fans.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/52588-games ... t-des-deal

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Switch
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Phil Spencer (Xbox) talks about Shenmue 3

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:32 am

Keep choosing the "right" games Phil Spencer, the results are showing how good you've done.

Shenhua-Nani? has received 2 thanks from: Esppiral, Fei Fong Wong
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Aimless Gamer » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:01 am

He really is a great guy but I think he made a mistake.
Aimless Gamer
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: Aimless Gamer
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Giorgio » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:41 am

Third party titles is the reason I will buy a PlayStation console for the first time ever.

Giorgio has received 4 thanks from: Amir, johnvivant, Mr357, Sonoshee
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:02 am

You mean like Goat Simulator and Farming Simulator, Phil? Personally I think this guy's a douche and not just because he never brought Shenmue 3 to Xbox.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby johnvivant » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:35 am

i prefer him over Don Mattrick but he has missed a huge opportunity by not picking up Shenmue 3.
console brand loyalty is meaningless when it comes to a game like shenmue, people will go where IT goes.

xbox fans please vote on xbox feedback site to request shenmue 3 come to xbox one:
https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25164 ... o-xbox-one
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby amiga1200 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:06 am

Giorgio wrote: Third party titles is the reason I will buy a PlayStation console for the first time ever.
^^ curious?! :???:
i'll just stick to buying tech for their games.
if they're good (subjective to individuals) done, and done, regardless of dev standing. (publishers have no effect on me, maybe that's why i'm years late to the....game?! :lol: )
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:44 am

Nice guy but he doesn't make the best decisions for Xbox really.

His idealism and heart are in the right place, but from a business perspective totally off. Concentrating on first party games only and no longer funding third party exclusives may sound lovely from a idealistic standpoint and not funding console "exclusive content" on third party titles is very consumer centric and should be applauded, however from a business standpoint its another decision that's going to limit the xbox's market reach; all this really means is everyone else (Sony) will continue to buy exclusives and ps4 will have all the exclusive content (timed or otherwise) so why would consumers go for the Xbox for third party games? likewise none of the console manufacturers have enough internal studios to off set a competing platform having all the third party exclusives...

..its a lovely idea on paper but one which will garner them much hate. It means they have to ignore fan requests for help on third party franchises (which has given Sony a lot of good rep recently) and they also lose third party sales drivers. Nintendo can't make a living on first party alone, neither can xbox.

RiGoRmOrTiS has received 2 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, ShenSun
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:27 pm

They had Shenmue II on the xbox and it flopped.

I really don't know what they are meaning by focusing more on first parties, what do they have? Rareplay, halo and gears of war ?

Probably Crackdown 3 will sell more than Shenmue III, they are betting on an easier bet.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Monkei » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:11 pm

No need to hate on this guy. There's certainly more money to be made off Rise of the Tomb Raider than off Shenmue III. If it's only about the money, investing in Shenmue doesn't seem like the most worthwile or clever thing to do.

I don't think Sony made that deal with Suzuki for money. They're investing in their image, strengthening their brand. Shenmue III is videogame history. Now Sony is connected with that. They want to be seen as the company that does it all 'for the gamers', or 'for the players', something like that. They've been supporting indy games for years now, with Microsoft still trying to catch up on that. The 'building the list' campaign, bringing Yakuza 5 to western markets, bringing The Last Guardian back, unveiling the Final Fantasy VII remake, presenting Shenmue III. Games like No Man's Sky or Media Molecule's Dreams.. that's all 'for the gamers', the hardcore audience. Some of these titles will also appeal to the masses of course, Final Fantasy VII is a guaranteed hit, no doubt. No Man's Sky and The Last Guardian will probably sell well, too.. but those games aren't exactly for the Call of Duty and Fifa crowd.

Sony's on top right now. They're selling a lot of consoles, they can afford to make risky games and do deals that help their image more than their wallet. Microsoft are of course still Microsoft and rich as ever, I guess, but still, they're not in the same position as Sony momentarily and quite likely won't be anywhere near it in the near future. So I get where Spencer is coming from.

Monkei has received 2 thanks from: Anthony817, Esppiral
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Mr357 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Here's the thing about Microsoft and the Xbox One. They know they've lost this generation to the PS4. They've accepted it, and are looking toward the future. Unless they pull some kind of impossible miracle and secure exclusivity to something like Half-Life 3 as an Xbox One exclusive (obviously never happening), they're not going to beat Sony in the third party sales anyway. Focusing on first party makes sense if they can produce IP's that will turn a profit next generation. Get some good franchises going, and then drop the bombs when people are willing to buy their console. Hell, Sony might not even be around by the time the ninth generation arrives.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Dragon St. » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:32 pm

The very fact that he talks about it quite lengthy shows the relevance of Shenmue today. It's an unstoppable force now.
Dragon St.

Postby shenmue852 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:08 pm

No one cares, Xbox is irrelevant. I'm saying this as someone who was an Xbox fan and never cared that much about Shenmue II failing because I owned the original Xbox and 360, and had moved on to other games. While the original Xbox was one of the best consoles I had, the 360 was a POS that made me pretty much permanently switch to Sony. The 360 was the worst console in history in terms of its quality control. They deserve to fail like Sega after that. This generation, their shitty first party titles and the number of important games that aren't appearing on their system seals the deal.

Last generation was mostly the same games, but the red ring 360 was a shittier console than the PS3 (unlike the original Xbox which was much better than the shitty PS2)

This generation microsoft is doubling down on its mediocre first party franchises (Halo and Gears of War still, seriously?) and exclusives like Tomb Raider and Forza don't make up for the sheer volume of titles (including Street Fighter, which is beyond ridiculous) that won't appear on their console. For a company with Microsoft's resources and war chest of cash reserves, it's downright embarrassing for this many titles not to be available on their console.

I guess they have their frat bro market, but the funny thing is I think even COD and EA Sports bros don't give a shit about Halo 23.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby PILMAN » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:19 am

Honestly, I am not all that surprised.

I also speak as a former Xbox fan, I had the original Xbox at launch in 2001, and I recall the controversy over Microsoft developing a console and some of the comments that it was simply a PC and that gamers wanted a console, regardless, I took the dive. While some of the launch titles were nice, the Xbox always lacked what the ps2 had in regards to third party games and even exclusives, but innovation and the customer base was pushing for the controversial broadband only online gaming, something of course dreamcast had the capability to do with online gaming as well. The only exception was I was glad the Xbox had some nice fighting games as well as shenmue 2 at the time, and without the Xbox, I would not have had the opportunity to try shenmue 2, but it would be foolish to not realize how much damage it actually did to shenmue and why shenmue 3 may have never seen the day because of Microsoft.

We all know that Peter Moore jumped ship and pretty much killed the dreamcast, obviously shenmue had a rocky start having to go from the sega Saturn practically complete and then developed for the dreamcast, by the time shenmue 2 was released, Peter Moore pretty much canceled the game from coming out to the U.S. And we had to wait an entire year for it to come to Xbox splitting the fanbase, on top of that, Microsoft was supposed to market shenmue 2 at the time. I do remember a trailer on Xboxs website at the time and I do remember in official Xbox magazine there was a small demo of qte action, but outside of that, most of the Xbox gamer base either wasn't interested in shenmue, or there was barely any marketing or information about the game, it was just kind of thrown out there with no real exposure to the degree halo or some other top aaa game was given exposure, shenmue never got the respect it deserved from Microsoft and it probably didn't help that most Xbox gamers had not played the original game.

Most of the Xbox fanbase at that time was primarily into halo, or mech assault or some other Xbox live title, ninja gaiden, or the various fighter and sports games, that was the direction Microsoft was headed while Sony was more focused on the gta series, resident evil and silent hill, RPGs, racing games, simulators, etc. even many of the nice looking games that were exclusive to Japan for Xbox never came over to the U.S. All in attempt for Microsoft to win over the Japanese market.

The very fact is that there is little to no surprise that Microsoft probably secured the title to prevent anyone else from getting it as Sony was securing deals with all the exlusives at the time.

By the time the Xbox 360 came out, it was a clear that they were attempting to shift into a primary role of online gaming, fps and sports games. Even the Xbox live community represents the gamer base that they don't respect the general single player games or story driven games, it exists but it is practically in the lower tier. You can see this on any gaming forum be it gamefaqs or gamespot and the lack of respect for a game like shenmue.

I stopped supporting Xbox after my gamer tag was stolen and Microsoft literally did nothing about it despite the fact my security information was breached and a call center agent provided information on my account without proper authentication, and the general business practices of my Xbox 360 falling out of warranty thanks to the poor quality printed circuit boards and solder on the first batch of Xbox 360s.

Honestly, I am glad that Microsoft is not getting the game, it sucks for the fans, but the amount of damage that was caused, the lack of marketing, the wait we had to endure to get the game, and the lack of respect from the general fanbase, I really believe that it was the right decision as shenmue should be enjoyed by gamers who appreciate the series and I am sure the Sony and PC market will appreciate such a rich game moreso than the general Xbox fanbase. This is nothing against Xbox gamers, but if you know the history, then you will understand why we have been waiting as long as we have. Perhaps if shenmue 2 had been released in the U.S. For dreamcast, it would have been a different story.

PILMAN has received a thanks from: Fei Fong Wong
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:46 am

Cedric's recent tweets imply Microsoft had their chance:
https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 8509843456

"I am reading some interview, seems that Phil Spencer forgot the 2 years before #shenmue3 announcement. Reminder here:

phpBB [video]

"

Romain ‏@RomainMahut 1h1 hour ago
@CedricBiscay Que s'est-il passé il y a deux ans ?

//What happened in those two years?

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 1579192320

"Cedric Biscay ‏@CedricBiscay 58m58 minutes ago
@RomainMahut Tout est dans la vidéo ;) Tout le monde a eu sa chance."

//All is in that video ;) Everybody had their chance.

Amir has received 3 thanks from: Anthony817, Giorgio, Mr357
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Next

Return to Shenmue III