4Gamer: Short interview with Yu Suzuki

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

4Gamer: Short interview with Yu Suzuki

Postby Switch » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:59 am

Japanese site 4Gamer interviewed 147 Japanese game developers for their thoughts on the year that has passed, and a message going into 2016, one of them being Yu Suzuki. Here is a translation of his interview (original article). Thanks to Giorgio for sharing the article link.

Yu Suzuki
YS Net President
Representative works: Hang-On, Space Harrier, Out Run, After Burner II, Power Drift, Virtua Fighter series, Shenmue series

Q1: Of the games released in 2015, which title impressed you or amazed you most?

YS: The Last Guardian & Final Fantasy VII Remake
Although they’re not titles released this year, these two titles were announced when I was waiting for the Shenmue III presentation at E3. I could feel the huge cheers like earth tremors from back-stage, and I was overwhelmed especially at the popularity of Final Fantasy VII.

Q2: Of the entertainment content released or announced in 2015, which work was most memorable?

YS: This year there were a lot of movies I wanted to see, but things were so hectic with preparations for Shenmue III that actually I haven’t been able to see even one of them. I want to make time to see Terminator Genisys, Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, 007 Spectre and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

And although they are not new releases, in order to enhance the portrayal of Shenmue III I spent time re-watching the Zatoichi movie series and works by Kurosawa, as well as Hong Kong & Chinese Kung Fu movies and others.

Q3: Which person in 2015 did you follow (or are still following)?

YS: Personally, I like watching [tennis player] Kei Nishikori and watching table tennis matches, so I watch them as much as I can when they are being broadcast. In addition, it’s good that Japanese athletes are not just remaining in Japan but are increasingly stepping out globally, and I feel that they are pushing the ceiling higher. I hope many more people will gain an awareness of Japanese culture and history through the activities of Japanese around the world.

Q4: What are your aspirations for 2016, and please also give a message for 4Gamer readers.

YS: 2015 was a very significant year for the Shenmue series, and for me. And it was also a year in which I felt the great love for Shenmue.

I will continue on with development to deliver a creation that will shine radiantly in the hearts of everyone who has waited for 14 years.

Last edited by Switch on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: 4Gamer: Short interview with Yu Suzuki

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:14 pm

Just tweeted him to not watch Spectre, it's an utter garbage.

Yokosuka has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, Mr357
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Nankeiro » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:05 pm

Thanks a lot once again for your translation, Switch! I really appreciate your contributions to us, the fans, and of course being able to know all of this info. is awesome. Thanks.

Nankeiro has received 2 thanks from: Switch, Telekill
Nankeiro
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Giorgio » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:06 pm

And although they are not new releases, in order to enhance the portrayal of Shenmue III I spent time re-watching the Zatoichi movie series by Kurosawa, as well as Hong Kong & Chinese Kung Fu movies and others.
Classic! 8)

Personally, I like watching [tennis player] Kei Nishikori and watching table tennis matches [...]
Tennis and table tennis mini-games confirmed for Shenmue III? Haha.

2015 was a very significant year for the Shenmue series, and for me. And it was also a year in which I felt the great love for Shenmue.

I will continue on with development to deliver a creation that will shine radiantly in the hearts of everyone who has waited for 14 years.
Heartwarming :heart: and exciting!

Thank you very much for the translation, Switch!

Giorgio has received 2 thanks from: Switch, Telekill
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Telekill » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Thanks for the translation.

I can only imagine what it was like being backstage at E3 and hearing the reaction to the FF7 Remake and Shenmue III announcements.

Telekill has received a thanks from: Switch
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:47 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Just tweeted him to not watch Spectre, it's an utter garbage.

Terminator genesys too.

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: Mr357
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Snakiest » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Let the man watch what he wants to watch, for Christ's sake. Remember how many people outside this community think Shenmue is garbage? -)

In Yu we trust.

Snakiest has received 2 thanks from: SickOctopus, VukBZ2005
Snakiest

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:59 pm

Snakiest wrote: Let the man watch what he wants to watch, for Christ's sake. Remember how many people outside this community think Shenmue is garbage? -)

In Yu we trust.

Nope, this is a fact. This film is average at best, I can't believe the piece of crap I've just seen and I hate the idea of Yu getting completely bored. In the meantime, Rogue Nation is pure class. =D>
Last edited by Yokosuka on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:01 pm

Terminator Genisys might inspire a playable revisit of Yokosuka using NoconKid's past work. :P
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby johnvivant » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:05 pm

Arigatou Yu san! much love. :heart:
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Snakiest » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:08 pm

It is not a fact, it is your opinion. And even if the quality of the movie isn't the highest, the man still has the freedom to watch what he wants in his free time, right? He might like it just like people come to like all those things I personally would rather shoot myself in the head than watch or do. Like hey, the new SW movie I had a misfortune to waste 2 hours on last week... But I hope that if it doesn't give him ideas for the game then at least it will entertain him more.

In Yu we trust.

Snakiest has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Snakiest

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:17 pm

Snakiest wrote: It is not a fact, it is your opinion. And even if the quality of the movie isn't the highest, the man still has the freedom to watch what he wants in his free time, right? He might like it just like people come to like all those things I personally would rather shoot myself in the head than watch or do. Like hey, the new SW movie I had a misfortune to waste 2 hours on last week... But I hope that if it doesn't give him ideas for the game then at least it will entertain him more.

In Yu we trust.

It's not a hateful statement but the will to prevent someone from a real fraud, a fraud of money and time. And time is incredibly precious for him. We need to keep our dear Yu under the best possible conditions. 8)
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Snakiest » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:19 pm

He didn't pay for such a service. I'd be pissed off if somebody told me not to do the things I wanted to do and looked forward to. That's just not good manners.

Sorry, I'm in a cranky mood today... Must be the freaking cold and the absence of central heating...

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:03 pm

About the movie as itself, I view several points as factual failures :
- The characters have never to face choices in action situations or on a moral plan. They strictly follow a straight and predictable line with a lot of deus ex machina solutions or free individual prowesses. Few of them are credibles.
- The abuse of slow pace filming where nothing happens but without any real justification. The purpose is either nonexistent or really pointless.
- The lack of action because of all these vacuum scenes.
- The interesting background thematics are underused to put forward the uninteresting "go search B to find A to find C" schematic.
- The dialogues never really make sense and can't fill the moments of boredom.

All these issues highlight an obvious lack of imagination from the writers. Weird considering that the director (Sam Mendes) is the same as Skyfall which was a pretty fair movie.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Snakiest » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:30 pm

Yes, but that is all a personal perspective. I am a member of a forum where people write the same thing about Shenmue. Seriously. And I don't argue with them because it is their opinion. All I wish is people were better at expressing their opinions as such and not as if they were facts. Humility, consideration and awareness - all we need.

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest

Next

Return to Shenmue III