SEGA survey: Fill it in! AKA "Tell us you want Shenmue HD"

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: SEGA survey: Fill it in! AKA "Tell us you want Shenmue H

Postby Sappharad » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:22 pm

Esppiral wrote: That survey seems to be 100% focused on mobile gaming.... once the questions about its franchises ends everything is about mobile gaming...

Per one of the admins at Sega / Sonic Retro (which happen to be two of the sites in their list of 'do you visit these sites' question) the survey was created by Sega's mobile team. So yes, you're absolutely right. I don't know how beneficial the survey will be for non-mobile stuff.

I mentioned Shenmue as a favorite when I took the survey as well, but I think they're trying to figure out what franchises they can port to mobile phones. At the very least, I hope the survey gives them what they need to contract Christian Whitehead again to do a mobile version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, since his versions of Sonic CD, 1 and 2 were absolutely amazing. Despite the touch screen controls, the fact that they let him bring back and finish one of the levels cut from the original game made it totally worth re-buying.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Nankeiro » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:38 pm

Already answered to everything!
Nankeiro
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby fittersau » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:20 pm

Done and said don't play and never will mobile games.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kintor » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:20 am

Well, just finished the survey myself. It took a little longer to finish then I first anticipated, mainly because I took the opportunity to talk about why I love Sega games every chance that I got. That section in the middle, where you can comment about individual Sega games was huge, I kept my comments concise but I still ended up typing nearly 2000 words in that sections alone.

Anyway, I naturally praised Shenmue but I also took the time to discuss many other Sega games at the same time. After all, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on the Mega Drive is my favourite game of all time. I need to discuss to the future of the Sonic franchise where appropriate alongside the considerable praise I heaped upon Shenmue.

In terms of suggestions I made, I kept things reasonable, talking about what I love about Sega games, what I'd love to see in future Sega games. There were little things, like more ports to modern ports, wanting to see VIrtua Fighter 6 and new Sonic game that continues on from Sonic Generations.

Although, with that said, I find it unlikely Sega will entertain my suggestion of bring Typing of the Dead to children's classrooms across the world. :P

Beyond that, there were definitely a lot of mobile questions towards the end of the survey. Which, in all honesty, I responded positively towards. I know this might put me at odds with opinions here at the Shenmue Dojo but I don't see the popularity of mobile gaming as necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I think that mobile gaming can become something of a bastion for arcade gaming. There's already some great stuff on mobile like Horizon Chase (which is heavily influenced by Out Run) and a whole bunch old arcade ports (ranging from Crazy Taxi to Meta Slug) that actually play pretty well.

So, I think that mobile can be an important and respectable part of Sega’s business going forward. As it pretty much the case already. That’s not to say I expect all Sega games to go mobile, it’s just in this changing industry there’s room to do both mobile games along with other games which would work better strictly on consoles and PCs.

Kintor has received a thanks from: James Brown
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mr357 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:46 am

Did my duty, and passed the link along.

Tweet this shit!
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:50 pm

Sorry, it looks like you have taken this survey before.

seriously wtf??!! I've never taken this survey!
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby ShenSun » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:42 pm

drunkensailor wrote: Sorry, it looks like you have taken this survey before.

seriously wtf??!! I've never taken this survey!

use a different browser
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ys » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:09 pm

I know that I've played many Sega games but was a bit surprised anyway when I realized that I had almost checked every box of "played games". I also went into quite detailed explanations per game in the middle section.

About the mobile part. I don't care about the type of games that you mostly find for smartphones/tablets and mentioned that. But I added that I have played games on handhelds if you would include that in the definition of "mobile gaming". The reason why I prefer those is because of buttons/D-pad/analog sticks. I'm just not a fan of touchscreens when it comes to playing more "serious" console like games on these devices. Sure, you can buy controllers but it kind of defeats the whole purpose.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby mrandyk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:13 am

Sappharad wrote:
Esppiral wrote: That survey seems to be 100% focused on mobile gaming.... once the questions about its franchises ends everything is about mobile gaming...

Per one of the admins at Sega / Sonic Retro (which happen to be two of the sites in their list of 'do you visit these sites' question) the survey was created by Sega's mobile team. So yes, you're absolutely right. I don't know how beneficial the survey will be for non-mobile stuff.

I mentioned Shenmue as a favorite when I took the survey as well, but I think they're trying to figure out what franchises they can port to mobile phones. At the very least, I hope the survey gives them what they need to contract Christian Whitehead again to do a mobile version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, since his versions of Sonic CD, 1 and 2 were absolutely amazing. Despite the touch screen controls, the fact that they let him bring back and finish one of the levels cut from the original game made it totally worth re-buying.

This right here really explains the motives of the survey. Shout your love of Shenmue and Sega from the rooftops, they're just going to throw your survey answers out once you indicate you have no interest in mobile gaming.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:30 am

It's still worth filling out IMO. At least it'll send a message that a.) some old IP should NOT be adapted for mobile, and b.) a good number of players aren't looking for mobile games out of SEGA, period.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby fittersau » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:20 am

Spaghetti wrote: It's still worth filling out IMO. At least it'll send a message that a.) some old IP should NOT be adapted for mobile, and b.) a good number of players aren't looking for mobile games out of SEGA, period.

Yeah, if you can be bothered.. SEGA seem hellbent on chasing the mobile gaming dollar. There's still money to be made I guess, but perhaps the reason why they may not be so successful there is because mobile gaming is for casuals who are new to gaming and don't hold the SEGA brands close to their heart like old school gamers like ourselves.

Therefore aren't interested in a mobile version of this or that. Ironically the games which are doing well like Temple Run are based on good old Sonic's formula and its success is primarily due to Temple Run being an unknown brand introducing a successful game style to new casual crowds.

Furthermore, old school brands like Sonic carry geeky connotations whereas new IP using old game play can still be classified as "casual", thus non-nerdy.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:22 am

When Shenmue CIty was a thing on Yahoo JP, I made an effort to sign up for a Yahoo JP account etc, but I soon forgot about it. When I remembered it, it had already died. It would be a mistake to bring Shenmue to the mobile gaming space and I hope Suzuki doesn't contemplate this.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:22 am

fittersau wrote: When Shenmue CIty was a thing on Yahoo JP, I made an effort to sign up for a Yahoo JP account etc, but I soon forgot about it. When I remembered it, it had already died. It would be a mistake to bring Shenmue to the mobile gaming space and I hope Suzuki doesn't contemplate this.

I think Yu is done with mobile for the immediate future. He seems more at home heading up Shenmue III than anything else he's worked on since leaving AM2, but unfortunately small devs in Japan feel stuck having to cater to the home mobile-centric market.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby jakester » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:31 pm

Done. For some reason took me ages. Sure I spent more time on these answers than on my CV!

Anyway, conveyed the message of love for Shenmue and for HD re releases!

jakester has received a thanks from: James Brown
jakester
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Previous

Return to Shenmue III