Magic Monaco Shenmue 3 Press Conference - English Subtitles

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Magic Monaco Shenmue 3 Press Conference - English Subtitles

Postby Ziming » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:51 pm

The full Magic Monaco Shenmue 3 press conference is now available. Japanese translation by Switch and French translation by Yokosuka. Click here to watch.

Ziming
Banned
Banned

Re: Shenmue 3 Press Conference - Magic Monaco English Subtit

Postby Ziming » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:51 pm

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received 5 thanks from: DEVILLE_David, GYO6161, KidMarine, Nankeiro, The_Intruder
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Re: Shenmue 3 Press Conference - Magic Monaco English Subtit

Postby GYO6161 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:56 pm

I love it!! Thx
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Re: Magic Monaco Shenmue 3 Press Conference - English Subtit

Postby Batosai » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm

Thanks a lot, can't get enough of events like this :D
Batosai
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:39 am

Here's the written translation if you need any quotation :
Thank you everyone for coming today. Again, hello everyone and thank you for coming today. I know many of you are awaiting news of Shenmue 3 but before talking about Shenmue 3, I would like to come back to Shenmue 1 & 2 with some questions. My first question is as follows: Yu Suzuki, first of all, could you explain the concept of Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 while showing us some images. If possible, could you talk about the concept of Shenmue while showing various concept art. Let me show you several pieces of concept art that I've brought along. You might be able to read the chapter number that each is from... Maybe it's a bit hard to read... Ah, so perhaps not. The one at the far left... Originally... I made Shenmue with Akira from Virtua Fighter. This is the very first concept art. The other ones I've brought along today are... Ah, whoops. The one next to it is from Chapter 1: Yokosuka. And the third illustration is of Hong Kong, which is Chapter 2. The last illustration says "Chapter 5"... This is concept art for Shenmue 3. This shows what kind of town Yokosuka is. These photos are of Yokosuka in around 1986. It has a US army base and the town has an exotic feel to it. From this town, the story moves across to Hong Kong. These pictures are of Hong Kong. Hong Kong is also a place where a strong element of other cultures remains. Chapter 2 was set in Hong Kong because I wanted to portray the mingling of the Japanese and Chinese cultures. Shenmue 3 is set further inland, in the interior of China, in a region called Guilin. I want to portray its unique Chinese culture, which has had very little cultural interaction with countries outside. What are your favorite scenes from Shenmue 1 and 2? Actually I've got a video... I'm sure everyone also likes these scenes. Let's play the clips. Everyone loves the forklifts! A lot of people have been asking for forklifts in Shenmue 3, so... it's something I'm thinking about. It's won't stop. It's not stopping. Sorry about the sound. This is a scene in the bar. I want to stop this one. Oh, now they've all stopped. It's no good, is it. Sorry, the sound's a bit jumbled. From Shenmue 2, I like the scenes where you receive instruction about new moves. Let's just play them all together. Important elements of Shenmue are the cinematic scenes as well as the battles. So these were my favorite scenes. You have stated in a previous interview that you like the character of Niao Sun. What do you think of the other female characters of Shenhua, Joy and Nozomi? For Nozomi... This is a video clip of Nozomi. I like this scene with Nozomi. I wanted to depict a Japanese female who personifies what we call "Yamato Nadeshiko" in Japanese... An ideal Japanese woman: reserved, but with inner fortitude. It is gradually getting harder nowadays to find this type of person though... Joy leads a self-assured life in Hong Kong, in a multi-cultural environment. She's also very strong-willed. I wanted to depict a girl who's full of energy. And finally Shenhua... Shenhua is the heroine of the Shenmue series. Shenhua grew up surrounded by nature. She possesses very mysterious powers and has a unique outlook on life. Here too, I wanted to portray a female who has strength of character. Her character is one that holds the most profound memories for me. She has an abundance of knowledge about things in the forest... I'd like to include a light-hearted or comical scene where she leaves Ryo behind, or something like that. It has now been some months since development started on Shenmue 3... Do you have any comments about Unreal Engine 4? We've been carrying out development with Unreal 4 for just over six months now. Today I've brought along some Shenmue screenshots to show you some of what we are doing with Unreal Engine. These are from Shenmue 3. Some of them were just created yesterday. These are Shenmue 3 images. I really love the hues and coloring of Unreal 4. I think depth of picture and a high contrast are traits of Unreal. That alone is not enough to make it "Shenmue" though. Shenmue has a slightly more humid feel to it, more of a "wet" feel. If we can get to the point where you can almost smell things like uncooked food - that's when we will at last be at the Shenmue level. We're now able to create images such as these ones here, as well as recreating "dampness" - places that are more humid. Evoking a sense of smell in the graphics is something we will be working on going forward. At the moment, we're prototyping so we're experimenting with a lot of different things. Today I'd like to demonstrate the weather... How the clouds and time change dynamically is something we're now in the middle of working on. I've brought along a movie of our current work so let's take a look. From the morning, the sun rises gradually higher and grows brighter. We can also represent things like shadows... This is the first village in Shenmue 3, Bailu village. With software development, there are two common approaches... known as the Waterfall and Agile methodologies. The development methodology that I use is Agile. It is said that currently many developers use the Waterfall methodology but I use the Agile methodology where the software is pieced together from various parts that are worked on simultaneously, in parallel. It might be considered an unusual approach these days. But I think it's a very effective methodology when taking on new challenges. I feel that the Agile methodology is very easy to work with. With Shenmue 3 being currently in development, could you describe where and how the development is being undertaken? We started with a small number of people, and we were located in a part of Tokyo called Ebisu. The office in Ebisu was soon outgrown, so we created a development office, also in Ebisu. That development office also reached full capacity in about a month so now it has moved to the area of Gotanda. Development is being carried out not just here but also together with various partners outside. However this where the principle development team is, who we call the Brain Team. Please tell us about the themes of Shenmue 3. Fundamentally, it is about the universal themes of love, courage and friendship. While at the same time, it is a story that is centered around martial arts, about the growth of a boy on a journey of self-discovery, who crosses the sea to the continent of China to avenge his father's death. That's the overall story and concept. This time, Shenmue 3 will feature your relationship with Shenhua. I want to portray your relationship with Shenhua in a charming manner, through things like your spoken interaction and demeanor towards each other. There will be a lot of scenes together with Shenhua so I'd like to include scenarios that depict things like looking out for the other's well-being or slight changes in attitude. Shenhua feels quite at home going into places like a forest whereas Ryo can't keep up and gets pulled along. There will be some humorous scenes like that. In Shenmue 2 there were various QTEs set in the forest, and this time also... there will be things like ducking under trees through a narrow gap, jumping over trees, crossing rivers, crossing log bridges and so on. I'm considering various others apart from these too. I'm hoping to achieve something even more powerful with the new engine. In Shenmue 2 there was a scene where you jumped from stone to stone, wasn't there. Yes... this time I'd like to be able to enhance that further, if all goes well. We are really looking forward to seeing movie clips of how it turns out. Thank you. Last year you went to China and carried out various research... Was that to gather materials for Shenmue 3? Yes. I gave a presentation in Shanghai and after that took a plane from Shanghai to Fujian province. I carried out various research in Fujian. In Fujian there are donut-shaped buildings called Tulous, which are World Heritage sites. Long ago, when they were observed by US satellites, they were thought to be missile launch bases. There are many, in all sizes, from large to small. As you see, this is a large one and is donut-shaped. The top-left picture. The picture below that shows the inner structure. Some have three floors, some five.... Many have from 3 4 or up to about 5 floors. They have a courtyard in the center. For Shenmue 3 I'm planning to use one as the enemy hideout. While there I gathered materials and took photos of textures and so on. At the top-right is a well, for example. I collected various reference material. The middle picture is interesting. There was such a lot of washing on the line - I thought it seemed very typical of China. In Shenmue 3 I'd like to make objects like these move realistically in the breeze using physics. These pictures are also from my China research trip. The vertical picture in the middle is the door of a Tulou. I think it's a very distinctive door. The picture at the top right is the kitchen. It's a communal kitchen that's shared by everyone who lives there. The kitchen is situated in the inner courtyard. The lower-right picture shows various items like tables and chairs. In Shenmue 3, this is the kind of place where I want to stage a battle. It will get rapidly smashed up as things fly all around... I think it will be fun to hold a battle here. At the left side is a picture of a bike I took because it had "Suzuki" written on it. We're looking forward to seeing Shenmue 3 battles. Please hold on a little longer for battles - we will be experimenting further. In Shenmue 1 and 2, if too much time passes a bad ending occurs. Will a something similar occur in Shenmue 3? There will also be time-limited events in Shenmue 3. If you don't clear them within the time limit, a bad ending will be reached. So yes, there will be both deadlines and bad endings. I think the fans among the audience will be happy to hear that. This is a question about Ryo's face... If possible for Shenmue 3 we'd like his face to remain the same as in Shenmue 1 and 2. I have received a lot of feedback from all the fans about Ryo's face, Shenhua's face and so on. I'm sure those people who have waited patiently for 15 years have been looking at the Shenmue 2 face of Ryo as they've waited. So I believe that we have to properly look after those images from Shenmue 2. This is the Ryo, isn't it! We're currently working on making enhanced versions that will respect this image. It's being worked on at the moment, so I hope to be able to show you the new high-quality Ryo and Shenhua at the next opportunity. How did it come about for there to be a fishing system in Shenmue 3? I remember when we were brainstorming for Shenmue on what part-time jobs would be good to include, someone suggested fishing and everyone thought it was a great idea. There's the type of fishing rod, casting technique, types of lures, the bait... the best time to fish, the best spot to fish and so on. We all got really charged up about it. But there wasn't room to fit it in Shenmue 1 and 2... So it's something I have wanted to do ever since that time and I made the decision to include fishing in Shenmue 3. In Shenmue 3 there's not only one location where you can fish. There are several places. The first area, Bailu village, has a pond where you can fish. I've brought a video clip of it to show you. It's a pretty pond. Here you can, you know... [motions casting] We should be able to achieve an even higher quality for Shenmue 3 than I had been expecting. Of course, this will be rendered in real time, not a movie. Shenmue 3 has been under development for a few months but when you're seeing this kind of result, it already looks promising! Yes absolutely, I can't wait to see the end result. Let's hope it won't be too long. We have to be patient. Of course. We have been waiting for quite a while anyway. After waiting 14 years, I think we should still be able to wait 2 more years. 14 years, really? How time flies... Yes indeed. We're no longer exactly young. We're sure it will be worth the wait. Thank you! In Shenmue 3 will there be any chance to use items obtained in the first two games for example, the Mysterious Scroll? Since it's a series, being able to use items from the past will further strengthen the continuity. So I will plan a way for these kind of items to be used. I think reusing items from the previous episodes would be a great idea too. I think that finding these familiar items again is like going home actually. I was thinking the same indeed. We'll be happy to see familiar items again. It will feel like returning to one's own home. The next question may give nightmares to some here but If I pronounce the name of the following character, it may click. If I say 'Chai', does this sound familiar? The arcade... a pretty hard fight, at least one of the hardest fights of Shenmue. So my question is as follows: Will Chai come back to Shenmue 3? Will Chai make an appearance in Shenmue 3? I also really like the character of Chai. He's easy to incorporate into a scene... By all means I'd like to have him show up here and there. This is his character. Somehow... ...there's a similar-looking character in Lord of the Rings. Very nostalgic... He's a scary character, isn't he He even eats the boat ticket. He's quite a... creepy character. That's true! He's not... exactly beautiful. I'd like to make a key chain of him. Besides, he's really scary! Yes he really is. The voice actor for this character is great, isn't he. Yu said he is impressed with the way the Japanese actor uses his voice. That's not something you hear everyday. I agree, the Japanese voice actors are very talented in general. It's really well done. We were asking people who beat Chai in the arcade to raise their hand. There are a lot of game players who enjoy battles. What sort of battles can we expect in Shenmue 3? The battles in Shenmue 3... will differ a bit from those in Virtua Fighter. Rather than tactics, they will be about employing strategy. For example, positional advantage - making use of the terrain to charge inside or carry out an assault on the enemy. This time I would like to make battles in which this kind of strategy can be employed. Having things break or fall over when knocked into is something many games are now doing. So just doing that is not very exciting. However having one object knocking over another, which knocks over another and so on in a chain reaction - I think that will be fun. Also there will be a system that allows the enemy to discover you. If you are discovered by the enemy, they will chase after you. So if for example 5 enemies see you, then those 5 enemies will keep chasing you. Sounds scary! And so... for example in places like alleyways, if you are familiar with your surroundings then you can purposely draw them over to where you want and overcome them that way. I think it will be fun doing that kind of thing. So to sum up, the environment will play a key role in the Shenmue 3 free battle. So it will be important to make use of geographical knowledge in battles? Yes. Also in Shenmue 1 and 2 the martial arts seen are primarily of the style from the northern region of China. Martial arts from the north tend to involve much larger movements and use showy actions like jumping kicks. With Shenmue 3, I'd like to incorporate some martial arts from the south. With southern martial arts, the actions take place right up close. So in Shenmue 3 I would like to show martial arts that can be used to fight in confined areas. That's a such clear and detailed description There was already a lot of martial arts in the first episodes but I think everybody is looking forward to finding out the new ones. I think so. However I'm not sure whether the boy's position behind us is something we'll see in Shenmue 3. One thing is sure, he's more flexible than me! More than many people among the audience, in my opinion! I don't suppose a scene like this will appear in the game? Ah... I haven't decided about that yet. But for Shenmue 3 I'd like to make fighting possible in confined places. Places like in corridors, or on stairs... In fact, people like us who are used to using specific battle approaches in Shenmue 1 & 2 will have to relearn quite a lot. I think so. There will be quite a lot of changes. So the type of battles will be completely different than in Shenmue 1 and 2? Shenmue is more of a story-oriented, cinematic-style game whereas Virtua Fighter is a game that is specialized for exchanging blows. How can I put it... The movements are much faster than for normal human beings. So it's a bit too fast to be realistic. It's a fun game, but from the point of view of realism it's somewhat unnatural. I'd like to make the movements a little slower, closer to those of real fights. This is the last question. Could we hear a sample of the music? We have a number of pieces of music for use in Shenmue 3 but a decision hasn't yet been made as to which to use where. I've brought several pieces of music so feel free to choose which you'd like to hear. There are a lot! Although, some of these were used in Shenmue 1 and 2. Let's try one from Shenmue 1 and 2. Perhaps we haven't used it yet, it's maybe new music. It's much more likely to be a new one, isn't it? There is a stringed Chinese instrument called an Erhu with a range and pitch that is similar to that of a human voice. It's an instrument that has a nice sound and a very Chinese feel. Using this instrument evokes China. How about choosing another? Might it be possible to listen to a free battle music eventually? Oh wait! There's a problem, the music doesn't stop. I'll just terminate it... This should fix it. We want to prevent your ears from bleeding for those seated in the back. I think it'll be better like that. So what do you propose? Battle music... Yeah why not listen to battle music? That would be cool. If possible could we hear some battle music next? Battle music... it certainly sounds battle-like. That give us a foretaste of what we can expect to hear in Shenmue 3. That's the music we should broadcast in the dressing room... We should have listened to them beforehand, ahead of the presentation. Do you want to listen to something else if we still have time? What about the main theme? There's also one here that's like training music. A group of 30 or so people practicing their moves... I have four variations of the main theme like a music box version, one on a transverse flute... and a jazz one. Pick the one you want. Let's go for '034-12'! Oh it's not a main theme. Ok then '23-20'. OK... this one, the flute. - The flute? - Yes He likes this one. He wants to use it if possible. He imagines Shenhua playing the flute alone. He can see himself implementing cutscenes like this. There's still some time, about 5 minutes isn't it? Yes. While this charming music keeps playing in the background, I suggest we proceed to questions, if you have any. Can I choose? Yes, feel free. Will play be possible on Xbox 3? For the moment, it's PS4 and PC. I'm sorry if I pick randomly. Wait! As you're translating, I will pass the microphone to people so you don't have to move. I'll leave you with Yu Suzuki. Ok, this time I will take the opposite side. Please. Have you any information about Shenmue HD and Sega's situation? Sorry but I'll answer for him as we talked together about this subject yesterday. The IP is owned by Sega so no such project is currently planned. Any other questions? Are you working with composer Yuzo Koshiro, who worked on Shenmue 1? I haven't yet been in contact with him for this project. Another question? In Shenmue 3, will we learn more about the Shenmue tree or likewise about magic such as occurred at the end of Shenmue 2? Well... I wouldn't call it "magic", but rather mystical... like natural phenomena. For example drawing "chi" from the Earth and transforming it into power... Partly it's because I believe this kind of mysterious power exists. I'm not talking about an occult meaning here though. So I'd like to portray these kind of things. I don't want to depict them as being fantasy, but rather as natural phenomena, maybe super-natural. Do we have time for another question? No? Sorry, that was the last question. Thank you very much, Yu Suzuki. ~ Translations from Japanese by Switch, from French by Yokosuka @ Shenmue Dojo ~

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:47 am

Thank you very much for all the hard work and efforts! People like you are what have made the 14+ year wait bearable (and fun!) :-)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:33 pm

Great job. It's really cool to go through and to see Yu's full answers to the questions instead of the snippets we heard reported and paraphrased.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, rdk_nl
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Nankeiro » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:47 pm

Thank you very much for the translation and of course, the video!
Nankeiro
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby KidMarine » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:06 am

Yokosuka wrote:Development is being carried out not just here but also together with various partners outside

That's interesting. I remember a while back Cedric said that they got offers from various developers to work on the game for free when it was announced. I wonder if they took any of them up on their offers.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:31 am

KidMarine wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:Development is being carried out not just here but also together with various partners outside

That's interesting. I remember a while back Cedric said that they got offers from various developers to work on the game for free when it was announced. I wonder if they took any of them up on their offers.

I don't think so. It's never wise to accept offers like that, because they can't be held to any formal contract if they fail to deliver.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:20 pm

KidMarine wrote:

Shenmue 1 was co-developed with a few different developers like Nex Entertainment - made up of former members of SEGA, they developed various games in the past including Ranger X, Crusader of Centy, Crimson Shroud and the failed Xbox title Shin Megami Tensei: NINE. As well as them there was also Quintet who are well known for their cult RPG titles for SNES like Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Actraiser series and Terranigma.

Maybe they are getting help off them again?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:29 am

Well there is Neilo. Does anyone know what their exact role is? It seems most of the main development is being done over at YSNet.

It'd be nice if AM2 have a hand in the game in some capacity.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:29 am

Sonoshee wrote: Well there is Neilo. Does anyone know what their exact role is? It seems most of the main development is being done over at YSNet.

It'd be nice if AM2 have a hand in the game in some capacity.

Before Yu's talk, I believed the Neilo staff was physically and contractually embedded in the YSnet studio as the Neilo brand never appeared along the official partners.

I can see the extra-staff from Last Guardian leaded by Mark Cerny giving some help too after their work is done. Or at least one specific studio from Sony.

Yu is also likely to refer to classical outsourcing, I guess from China, India or another cheap country, as well as basic partners like Epic, AMD or Dolby Digital for instance.

There are also all these studios who wanted to work for free according Cédric. I don't forget either this Rockstar's former employee who's co-managing a sound-specialized studio, expressing before the E3 his desire to work for Shenmue III.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Return to News and Updates