Ryo's bicycle animations (What's Shenmue mod)

(Modding and other series related projects)

Ryo's bicycle animations (What's Shenmue mod)

Postby Switch » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Although the bicycle riding functionality was disabled in What's Shenmue before its release, it turns out that the animation data for Ryo has been left on the disk, tucked away inside the motion.bin file.

So as the next video following my investigation for the "Ryo jumping" mod, here are the unused animations for Ryo's interactions... minus the bicycle.

phpBB [video]

Edit 2016/10/08: added the bicycle animations contained in the PLYBCYL.MOT file on the Shenmue II disks to the top post.

Ryo pedaling bike

RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_KOG_LP [=RYOM_RYO_0043E_JITENSTA_KOG_LP]
Image Image

RYOM_RYO_P_BIKE_TATIKOGI_LP
Image Image

Ryo seated on bike

RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NORU_LP [=RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_MATAGU_LP], RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_F_0
Image Image

RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_A_1, RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_A_3
Image Image

RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_A_2

Ryo mounting bike

RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_NORU [=RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NORU_F, RYOM_RYO_0043E_JITENSYA_NORU]
Image Image

RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NORU_ST [=RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_A_0]

RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NIGIRU_LP, RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_D_2
Image Image

Ryo dismounting from bike

RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_ORIRU [=RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_ORIRU_F, RYOM_RYO_0043E_JITENSYA_ORIRU]
Image Image

RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NORU_EN, RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NIGIRU_EN
Image Image

RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_D_1

Ryo moving bike

RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_D_L_30, RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_D_R_30
Image Image

RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_G_0, RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_H_0
Image Image

RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_G_L_45, RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_H_R_45
Image Image

RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_G_L_90, RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_H_R_90
Image Image

RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_G_L_180, RYOM_RYO_P_TAOSU_C_TURN180_JITENSYA
Image Image

RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_E_0

Ryo kicking stand up/down

RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_STAND_UP, RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_STAND_DOWN
Image Image

RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_C_0
Last edited by Switch on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Ryo's bicycle animations (What's Shenmue mod)

Postby scarless landi » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:05 pm

This is AMAZING!!

scarless landi has received a thanks from: Switch
scarless landi
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: PhoenixMirror
Steam: PhoenixMirror
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Rakim » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:04 pm

This just further proves how revolutionary Shenmue was. It even predicted twerk videos.

Rakim has received 2 thanks from: GYO6161, Switch
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LanDC » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:50 am

Yeah there's several pieces of data regarding the bike on the discs. There's even some help information in the 1st_read.bin of What's Shenmue. Like when you press start while riding the bike, it tells what works the horn and whatnot. It's very possible that everything we need is there, but activating it is no easy task.

LanDC has received 2 thanks from: shengoro86, Switch
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Switch » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:39 am

Rakim wrote: This just further proves how revolutionary Shenmue was. It even predicted twerk videos.

The next mod will focus on unlocking the hidden dance track that Yu had planned to go along with the animation... :)

LanDC wrote:Yeah there's several pieces of data regarding the bike on the discs. There's even some help information in the 1st_read.bin of What's Shenmue. Like when you press start while riding the bike, it tells what works the horn and whatnot. It's very possible that everything we need is there, but activating it is no easy task.

Interesting that there is even help information for it. Any idea if that's embedded in the file itself or loaded in from a separate file? I've been digging around a bit in 1st_read.bin with a debugger but haven't been able to track down anything useful so far.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:16 pm

Switch thank you so much for posting this! Great find!

LanDC wrote:Yeah there's several pieces of data regarding the bike on the discs. There's even some help information in the 1st_read.bin of What's Shenmue. Like when you press start while riding the bike, it tells what works the horn and whatnot. It's very possible that everything we need is there, but activating it is no easy task.

Switch wrote:Interesting that there is even help information for it. Any idea if that's embedded in the file itself or loaded in from a separate file? I've been digging around a bit in 1st_read.bin with a debugger but haven't been able to track down anything useful so far.

I tried to make a bike mod a long time ago but failed on every attempt, despite saying otherwise at times without proving it (I was an pathological idiot back then).
I believe there was motion data or some sort of references in either motion.bin or cycleman. I don't remember anymore.
If I recall correctly, the sequence of data seemed to link to the BIKE or CYCLE variable that would pop up randomly in binaries (mapinfo, cycleman, motion). At hex level, it was tough to see where the data sequence comes and goes.
I think though, at a Assembly level, it might be easier to follow, however I don't have any knowledge on that.
I wonder if the animations can trigger something in that sequence if they are triggered natively.

I think at this point it is clear that the bike was removed pretty late in development. Really interesting to know that the animations were intact too. Hopefully someone can make it work!
This is a legendary find Switch, great work :)

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: Switch
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Radar » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:40 am

It's interesting that in Shenmue II in MISC folder there's a file called PLYBCYL.MOT with following text
Code: Select all
RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_C_0 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_D_1 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_D_2 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_D_L_30 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_D_R_30 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_E_0 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_G_0 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_G_L_180 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_G_L_45 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_G_L_90 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_H_0 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_H_R_45 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_H_R_90 RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NIGIRU_EN RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NIGIRU_LP RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NORU_EN RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NORU_F RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NORU_ST RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_ORIRU_F RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_STAND_DOWN RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_STAND_UP RYOM_RYO_P_TAOSU_C_TURN180_JITENSYA RYOM_RYO_0043E_JITENSTA_KOG_LP RYOM_RYO_0043E_JITENSYA_NORU RYOM_RYO_0043E_JITENSYA_ORIRU RYOM_RYO_P_BIKE_TATIKOGI_LP RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_A_0 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_A_1 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_A_2 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_A_3 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_F_0 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_KOG_LP RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_NORU RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_ORIRU RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_MATAGU_LP RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NORU_LP
+ data that could be related to bicycle animation. In the end of the file there's date - Wed Aug 9 10:26:57 2000

Radar has received 2 thanks from: shengoro86, Switch
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:18 pm

Radar wrote: It's interesting that in Shenmue II in MISC folder there's a file called PLYBCYL.MOT with following text
RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_C_0 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_D_1 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_D_2 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_D_L_30 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_D_R_30 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_E_0 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_G_0 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_G_L_180 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_G_L_45 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_G_L_90 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_H_0 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_H_R_45 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_H_R_90 RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NIGIRU_EN RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NIGIRU_LP RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NORU_EN RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NORU_F RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NORU_ST RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_ORIRU_F RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_STAND_DOWN RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_STAND_UP RYOM_RYO_P_TAOSU_C_TURN180_JITENSYA RYOM_RYO_0043E_JITENSTA_KOG_LP RYOM_RYO_0043E_JITENSYA_NORU RYOM_RYO_0043E_JITENSYA_ORIRU RYOM_RYO_P_BIKE_TATIKOGI_LP RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_A_0 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_A_1 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_A_2 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_A_3 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_F_0 RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_KOG_LP RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_NORU RYOM_RYO_P_BYCICLE_ORIRU RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_MATAGU_LP RYOM_RYO_P_JITENSYA_NORU_LP
+ data that could be related to bicycle animation. In the end of the file there's date - Wed Aug 9 10:26:57 2000

in one of the early Shenmue pre-release videos, wasn't there footage of Ryo on a bike in a S2 area? Very old looking footage. Unless my memory escapes me. Nice find Radar!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:38 pm

shengoro86 wrote:
Radar wrote: It's interesting that in Shenmue II in MISC folder there's a file called PLYBCYL.MOT with following text

in one of the early Shenmue pre-release videos, wasn't there footage of Ryo on a bike in a S2 area? Very old looking footage. Unless my memory escapes me. Nice find Radar!

I believe this is the one you're referring to:

I've seen this picture many times before, but only now have I noticed the little girl riding as a passenger. She looks like the little girl who can be found standing outside the (I believe) medicine shop.

ShenGCH has received 2 thanks from: shengoro86, Switch
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Switch » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:47 am

Interesting find! Some of the motion names are very similar to the ones that can be found in the MOTION.BIN file in What's Shenmue, but this is potentially a larger set so there could be some additional animations like the ones seemingly labelled with angles like 30/45/90/180. Some hints from the Japanese meaning of the naming: JITENSYA_NIGIRU=hold bicycle, JITENSYA_NORU=get on bicycle, JITENSYA_ORIRU=get off bicycle, KOG=pedal, TATIKOGI=pedal while standing, JITENSYA_MATAGU=straddle bicycle.

One thing that should be fairly easy to try is merge this data into the What's Shenmue MOTION.BIN file then redirect Ryo's crouch action for each of them to confirm how they look. (This assumes that the data structure matches).

Switch has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, shengoro86, ShenmueTree
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Switch wrote:

Interesting find! Some of the motion names are very similar to the ones that can be found in the MOTION.BIN file in What's Shenmue, but this is potentially a larger set so there could be some additional animations like the ones seemingly labelled with angles like 30/45/90/180. Some hints from the Japanese meaning of the naming: JITENSYA_NIGIRU=hold bicycle, JITENSYA_NORU=get on bicycle, JITENSYA_ORIRU=get off bicycle, KOG=pedal, TATIKOGI=pedal while standing, JITENSYA_MATAGU=straddle bicycle.

One thing that should be fairly easy to try is merge this data into the What's Shenmue MOTION.BIN file then redirect Ryo's crouch action for each of them to confirm how they look. (This assumes that the data structure matches).

This is getting super interesting :)

ShenGCH wrote:I believe this is the one you're referring to:

I've seen this picture many times before, but only now have I noticed the little girl riding as a passenger. She looks like the little girl who can be found standing outside the (I believe) medicine shop.

yep thats it! thanks!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

Postby Switch » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 am

An update on my progress at trying to view the bicycle animations: it has taken a bit of playing around to get the testing set-up working properly, but the proof of concept was successful and I am now working through each of the animations (the first five have been tested so far).

Testing details:

Since the PLYBCYL.MOT is from Shenmue II, to reduce the chance of incompatibility of the animation structures between games, after consideration I decided to test them within Shenmue II by injecting the data into the MOTION.MOT file of Shenmue II (which turns out to be the equivalent of the MOTION.BIN in What's Shenmue, sharing the same file structure).

The first step was to decide a way to trigger the new bicycle-related animations. Since in Shenmue II Ryo has no convenient A-button action (like the kneeling in What's Shenmue) which is useful for testing various animations, instead I decided to use Ryo's "walking" action. However locating the position of the walking data in the MOTION.MOT file turned out not to be completely straight-forward though, since for some reason in this file all of the 300+ animation names have been simply named "p", instead of a helpful descriptive name as found in the other motion files. After some trial-and-error adjusting I was able to identify the walking animation as the 5th action in the file (luckily not too far down!).

The next step was to overwrite Ryo's walking animation data in the MOTION.MOT file with data from each of the bicycle animations. The main complication is that the length of each bicycle animation data will differ (usually being longer) compared to the original walking data, meaning some of the data for the following animations may also be overwritten. To avoid the game crashing, it is crucial that the game continues to find the same number of animation entries in the file as before. I found this could be done by adding short snippets of "dummy" animation data (just the first several bytes, since each entry in the file starts with an identical sequence of bytes) to replace those that had been overwritten, and also adjusted the look-up offsets at the start of the file to match accordingly.

The method of testing each animation is then to copy across the bytes of a single animation entry to the MOTION.MOT file, overwriting the "walking" animation entry; rebuilding a new disk image; running it up in an emulator and then simply getting Ryo to walk forward and observing the animation.

Results of testing all animations coming soon.

Switch has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Switch » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:47 pm

Ok, here they are - all of Ryo's bicycle animations extracted from Shenmue II's PLYBCYL.MOT file!

The core animations are the same as those found on the What's Shenmue disk, but this set is much more comprehensive and includes many variations. Some of the interesting new ones are:

• [While standing next to bicycle] Ryo picks up the bicycle and turns it round 180 degrees.
  • [While seated] Ryo swings the bicycle round 180 degrees.
  • Ryo looks behind him and scoots the bicycle backwards a little way.
  • Ryo sits back and places a hand on his hips (perhaps when stopped and the player has not carried out any action for a while).
  • Ryo leans forward onto his left arm (wonder when this would be used?).
As you can see below, the animations of Ryo on an actual bicycle riding around Dobuita taken from the "What's Shenmue" VHS promo video match up pretty closely.

The process for generating each animation is still a bit manually intensive at the moment, but with some streamlining of the process it might be fun to investigate other animations stored in other files (even those of NPCs). Potentially there may be a lot of unused animations that have been left lying in the data.

Anyway, onto the riding animations from PLYBCYL.MOT...

(Edit 2016/10/08: moved the animations up to the OP for easier future reference.)
Last edited by Switch on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Switch has received 4 thanks from: Giorgio, Radar, south carmain, Yokosuka
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:44 pm

Amazing work as always Switch. Do you think there's any chance of making it functional in game?

south carmain has received a thanks from: Switch
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby BlueMue » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:31 am

The animations when the bike is standing and Ryo is just chilling with his hands on his hips or bending over handlebars are among the coolest things I've ever seen him do.

Amazing that they always kept them in the game and you were able to show them all, Switch.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Switch
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Community Projects