No Shenmue 3 Until E3 2017!!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: No Shenmue 3 Until E3 2017!!!

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:42 pm

ShenSun wrote:Yeah man. I think they said they said something similar to Kojima about a hands off approach with death stranding, so it makes sense. Hopefully we get a mini documentary series about the development and release process nearer the time of release.

Whatever's happening with Shenmue 3, i think its awesome we're all having this discussion and speculating. This site use to be so quiet. Super loud now. Soon to be louder.

A mini-documentary would be nice, but I don't think it'll happen. The Double Fine Adventure one was awesome, but it had to be paid for out of KS funds (which we obviously don't want to happen), and I can't fathom someone else will foot the bill for that.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:45 pm

All id personally really like at this point is reassurance development is on track, the budget is being met and some transparent answers about things like the PC version. -"another Twitch chat or Twitter QA would do wonders.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Himuro
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Monkei » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:47 pm

sand4fish wrote: Once again, when everyone decide to dig deeper on what a Kickstarter project entitles to, people will realize that the ONLY OBLIGATION Yu Suzuki has towards its backers is to complete the game and fulfill whatever category of rewards you have paid for. Deadlines are actually not an obligation of any Kickstarter project because you are given only estimates when you decided to pledge your money in. So basically the game could be released in 2022 and you given a preview of the game only a few days before its launch if that's what Yu wants and needs to do. And actually that's fine as long as the project comes to a completion. To clarify, fine is not even my feelings towards the issue, but actually what it's deemed to be legal and acceptable by Kickstarter standards. By the way, the Kickstarter website itself urges backers to be PATIENT towards its project creators. For a better understanding, read the KICKSTARTER 101.

In short, no one is entitled to a Shenmue 3 footage in E3 or PSX 2017 unless Yu says so. And even if a trailer doesn't show up in the next year at all, it will only mean Yu doesn't deem the development stage at the moment to be ready for a public display, so more time is needed. This is not an assumption, but a logical conclusion based on my personal Kickstarter experience and research, as mentioned in the other PSX 2016 topic. And by my experience with other crowdfunding projects, Shenmue 3 is currently in smooth sailing mode right now.

Thank you.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:59 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: All id personally really like at this point is reassurance development is on track, the budget is being met and some transparent answers about things like the PC version. -"another Twitch chat or Twitter QA would do wonders.

This is all I want!
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby LucBu » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:01 pm

sand4fish wrote: In short, no one is entitled to a Shenmue 3 footage in E3 or PSX 2017 unless Yu says so.

Who? Me? You? Anyone seen Rush Hour 3?

My two cents:

In Yu I trust. It's like that thing that Xiuying says in Man Mo Temple, "Stop crying and wait for Shenmue 3 ***."

LucBu has received a thanks from: Monkei
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades

Postby mrandyk » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:03 pm

I won't be surprised if (when?) it isn't shown at E3 2017. A showing there would only make sense if the game comes out in 2017. I'm feeling the game is pushed back to 2018.

That isn't to say we won't see footage in the updates or other events. It just doesn't make sense to be on the biggest stage unless the release is nearing.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ChiefNeo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:18 pm

Himuro wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Himuro wrote: Petty? If this isn't at E3 and they still haven't shown anything by then, it will justified to go to the media about the lack of progress update. How would it be any different from Star Citizen? No, going to the media would be the right thing to do given the amount of money have given this project.

Like I said, I don't think you'll actually feel that way once E3 comes around. We've got seven KS updates and MAGIC '17 until E3, and lots of things can happen between now and then.

But you're sounding like a kid stomping their feet right now.

I don't see how. I'm speaking in hypotheticals. If they turn it around and start to show us more, I'll be fine. But if they continue this current trajectory and there's nothing at E3 I will personally contact the media and share that the largest video game Kickstarter has not had any updates about the actual game and the money of 70k people is in question. I don't see how that's being petty or stomping like a child. I'm giving them a chance to prove me wrong.

Lol
Just...lol
ChiefNeo

Postby Stocke » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:26 pm

What a clickbaity title.

I'd definitely like to see something before then, but i can definitely wait.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:30 pm

I expect “something” substantial to be shown at E3. Whether it’s a full trailer, a playable demo, or just a minute-long teaser, it doesn’t matter. They need to show something at a big game show.

If they don’t do shit, then, at this point, they’re either not interested in game sales, or simply don’t care about generating extra funding for the project.
(spoiler: we lose either way)

With that said, as a backer, I’d appreciate getting a year-end update with some actual progress shown. A couple of environment screens; whatever. Something that caps off the year on an optimistic note.

PS- Shensun- please change the freaking title of this post. It reads like clickbait.
No one likes clickbait.

punkmanced has received a thanks from: Himuro
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:39 pm

punkmanced wrote: I expect “something” substantial to be shown at E3. Whether it’s a full trailer, a playable demo, or just a minute-long teaser, it doesn’t matter. They need to show something at a big game show.

If they don’t do shit, then, at this point, they’re either not interested in game sales, or simply don’t care about generating extra funding for the project.
(spoiler: we lose either way)

With that said, as a backer, I’d appreciate getting a year-end update with some actual progress shown. A couple of environment screens; whatever. Something that caps off the year on an optimistic note.

PS- Shensun- please change the freaking title of this post. It reads like clickbait.
No one likes clickbait.

Let's see them defend there being no substantial December update if it comes to pass.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:29 pm

I'm sorry but Ysnet and even Awesome Japan don't need to respond or defend themselves to any backers at all. The current status of the game development is ongoing and they just posted a video like last week,, as they having been consistently doing since the end of the campaign. So there's actually no red flag here.

To be clear, being a backer doesn't buy any backstage entrance to be in the loop on the game development, unless stated in the reward price point, because I didn't see it stipulated on what I paid for. Whatever they decide to show to any backer is simply a sign of goodwill.

People may be confusing all of this to something like buying some shares on Ysnet, and they thought they are just being shareholders demanding answers from their investment. But the truth is you are just paying some money in hopes that a project or idea you have interest in (which would not happen in any other way) will come to fruition some time in the future, plus whatever extra bonus you are willing to pay more than others. That's Kickstarter in a nutshell.

Delays, understaffed, limited resources and budget are the name of the game here. We should give them some room to be honest as the project is just about a year old. That's like being a baby in Kickstarter years. Take it from me.
Last edited by sand4fish on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:32 pm

Himuro wrote:Let's see them defend there being no substantial December update if it comes to pass.

I thought it was E3 '17 you were willing to wait until? Or was it March '17? I guess it's December now?

Look, you're just setting yourself up for outrage by putting an arbitrary date on when you expect something we have no way of knowing is coming. You're accelerating that date already too. Do you remember what I said the other day about confirmation bias?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlackHeaven » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:50 pm

I think they will show a trailer at Magic Monaco in front of roundabout 30 spectators.
BlackHeaven
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Any news on the dinner ?

Also making games is hard.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:03 pm

Something else I'd like to bring up regarding assertions that YSnet have done/shown "nothing":

Let's take a look back at the development workflow from last December's KS update:

While we don't really know the full details, you can recognise that what we've seen through the KS updates this year has been related to the 'Function Testing' stage; effectively building the prototype and putting the pieces in place for the "Production" phase to tie everything together into a highly polished product.

You can go through pretty much all of the KS updates from last year through to the latest and tie them into the development flowchart. Of course we can't be shown the implementation of these in detail, because a.) potential spoilers, and b.) because it may be unrepresentative of the final game in one way or another.

If you are basing the game's progress on whether you see a wireframe Ryo walking around, early screenshots, or somebody goofing around modelling items in Maya or 3DS Max, then you are blind to the progress that has been unfolding before our very eyes all through the year.

Let's also look at the translated comments from the hiring leaflet Switch got for us:

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/10/shenmue-dev-team-expanding-leaflet.html#more

We are recruiting for team members to create Shenmue 3 with us.

Unreal Engine 4 has been adopted for the development in his project. In preparation for the full production phase scheduled next year, we are now revving up the engine.

2017 is going to be the year where Shenmue III moves out of prototype and is transformed into what will eventually become the finished product. Not seeing the game at PSX was a disappointment, but you can understand the decision when you go back and look at this chart and relate it to the KS updates from this year.

Nobody knows what the end of this month will bring, let alone January, February, March, etc of 2017, but we do know that moving into the Production phase of development gives them more room to show what they've got without it looking half-baked, full of placeholders, and incomplete.

I know asking for patience is a cliche at this point, but hopefully after you've all re-analysed what we've seen this year in the context of the chart like I have, you'll be willing to wait for a little while longer.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: delvec19, Yokosuka
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III