Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

Postby shredingskin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:19 pm

Himuro wrote:
If you understand the basics of how production works you wouldn't compare a game made by one guy which has already had a gameplay trailer with a game that's just starting production.

There's not a difference in time to do certain things (well, there's a negligible ammount, that can even slow the process doing it later).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Lost Soul two years of development by one guy alone. Shenmue III, one and a half years of working, with an armada of professional employees. The comparison is pretty fair for me.
If I had no huge respect towards Suzuki, I would say that the situation is close to the humiliation.

But as I said, Lost Soul is not even the first example I had in mind. Basically, every good UE4 student can achieve a pretty similar work in two weeks.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:29 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
If I had no huge respect towards Suzuki, I would say that the situation is close to the humiliation.

Well, come on, that's pretty harsh.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:Hence why I said "my bad"... I don't know why I attempted to try and set expectations, I guess I thought people would take my word for it, but every reply has been in the lines of "lol right".

I'm not gonna betray someone's trust by saying more. Either take my advice or leave it.

I mean, you kind of halfway went there by mentioning it. It was a little dramatic too, I mean come on. It was meant to provoke a reaction of some kind.

But say you genuinely do know something, which is possible because really, word *does* get out behind the scenes.

If you have information, like recent information, you are almost certainly not the only one with that knowledge. I've learned stuff about September, and I've recently learned some stuff about last weekend. It isn't as huge a secret as you think it is, and it seems like you're the only one making a real fuss about it.

It's not big or clever to drop a fearful comment then never elaborate when there genuinely are people on this actual forum who can verify, especially if it looks like you're looking to set an agenda with it.

Mentioning what? That people shouldn't get excited? How is that betraying trust? Whatever man.
It wasn't really dramatic until people pressed me for more, all I wanted was to not let people go wild with their hopes, especially with MAGIC coming... If you think that's attention whoring, I can't do anything to sway your opinion... I guess it would piss me off If I saw someone withholding information after 'teasing' it. But really, I only had the best intentions at heart. Guess I was too naive?

If I had to clarify, I would say the game is NOT in trouble or anything. It's just... It seems it's way earlier in development than any of us even thought, even the skeptics.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:35 pm

shredingskin wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

The Lost Soul's guy is humiliating a lot of AAA developers anyway. These talented guys make us aware that a lot of studios (pro or indy) are mocking the gamers.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:41 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:Mentioning what? That people shouldn't get excited? How is that betraying trust? Whatever man.
It wasn't really dramatic until people pressed me for more, all I wanted was to not let people go wild with their hopes, especially with MAGIC coming... If you think that's attention whoring, I can't do anything to sway your opinion... I guess it would piss me off If I saw someone withholding information after 'teasing' it. But really, I only had the best intentions at heart. Guess I was too naive?

If I had to clarify, I would say the game is NOT in trouble or anything. It's just... It seems it's way earlier in development than any of us even thought, even the skeptics.

C'mon, you knew what you were doing posting this:

Anyway, I just heard something from someone that crashed my hype to the lowest degree, and I'm pretty thankful for that. It's always best to lower expectations and play it safe.

Dropping that hot nugget is not best intentions. You know people can't openly talk about that stuff, and coating it in a fearful message, just like you even do at the end of the post I'm quoting, is bullshit and manipulative of people.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Mystere
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:Hence why I said "my bad"... I don't know why I attempted to try and set expectations, I guess I thought people would take my word for it, but every reply has been in the lines of "lol right".

I'm not gonna betray someone's trust by saying more. Either take my advice or leave it.

I mean, you kind of halfway went there by mentioning it. It was a little dramatic too, I mean come on. It was meant to provoke a reaction of some kind.

But say you genuinely do know something, which is possible because really, word *does* get out behind the scenes.

If you have information, like recent information, you are almost certainly not the only one with that knowledge. I've learned stuff about September, and I've recently learned some stuff about last weekend. It isn't as huge a secret as you think it is, and it seems like you're the only one making a real fuss about it.

It's not big or clever to drop a fearful comment then never elaborate when there genuinely are people on this actual forum who can verify, especially if it looks like you're looking to set an agenda with it.

Mentioning what? That people shouldn't get excited? How is that betraying trust? Whatever man.

This is actually fairly good news based on the reaction to the pictures. I know people are going to rage if they miss the December 2017 deadline, but I want a great game, not a rush job.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:54 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:Mentioning what? That people shouldn't get excited? How is that betraying trust? Whatever man.

C'mon, you knew what you were doing posting this:

Anyway, I just heard something from someone that crashed my hype to the lowest degree, and I'm pretty thankful for that. It's always best to lower expectations and play it safe.

Dropping that hot nugget is not best intentions. You know people can't openly talk about that stuff, and coating it in a fearful message, just like you even do at the end of the post I'm quoting, is bullshit and manipulative of people.

I have nothing to gain by creating fear and paranoia, nor do I have an agenda to set as you've claimed before. Interpret my intentions as you see fit... It says more about you than anyone else.

I guess I shouldn't have posted anything and let people go haywire with their expectations. Like they did in September.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby delvec19 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Another year of around the clock dedication could be enough time to have a finished product. By the sound of multiple sources it seems like Yu doesn't want to break his word, and will try to get it out around December '17 even if it's off by a few months.
delvec19
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:01 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:I have nothing to gain by creating fear and paranoia, nor do I have an agenda to set as you've claimed before. Interpret my intentions as you see fit... It says more about you than anyone else.

I guess I shouldn't have posted anything and let people go haywire with their expectations. Like they did in September.

Yeah, you're right. You do have nothing to gain from it, so I can't fathom why you are using this information so irresponsibly when nobody can actually openly talk about the details.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:04 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
shredingskin wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

The Lost Soul's guy is humiliating a lot of AAA developers anyway. These talented guys make us aware that a lot of studios (pro or indy) are mocking the gamers.

...what?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:08 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:I have nothing to gain by creating fear and paranoia, nor do I have an agenda to set as you've claimed before. Interpret my intentions as you see fit... It says more about you than anyone else.

Yeah, you're right. You do have nothing to gain from it, so I can't fathom why you are using this information so irresponsibly when nobody can actually openly talk about the details.

There is nothing irresponsible with what i said. If people actually took my word at face value and lowered their expectations, if would be for their benefit.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:There is nothing irresponsible with what i said. If people actually took my word at face value and lowered their expectations, if would be for their benefit.

It is irresponsible, because you basically dropped "hey something is totally fucked but I'm not saying what it is, peace out!" when you know people can't refute what you said or even contextualise it without breaking some kind of secrecy.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:27 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:There is nothing irresponsible with what i said. If people actually took my word at face value and lowered their expectations, if would be for their benefit.

It is irresponsible, because you basically dropped "hey something is totally fucked but I'm not saying what it is, peace out!" when you know people can't refute what you said or even contextualise it without breaking some kind of secrecy.

I said the game was earlier than we thought. If anyone is in the know, they can refute/or confirm. Doubt they will be breaking secrecy by doing so.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:31 pm

So pretty much they were clueless and now they're on track ? :P

About indie: if you want to be cost effective you can create a AAA looking game (specially those "open world but mostly trees") for 500 bucks (and even less), paying an artist for that (or having one in your staff) will give you nothing (how much is it, a week of work ?). You can even do a AAA looking game with the free learning assets from unreal.

It's not that AAA guys are trying to scam people, it's just that they don't work that way, they do everything from a scratch, they have a lot of people (and the more nodes, the slower you work).

EX:

That pack costs 85 bucks (I have it for unity), it's amazing, highly optimized, and it's very modular, couple it with the free unreal assets, some free substances from substance share, and you pretty much have a AAA looking scene for 100 bucks. AAA teams can't do that (and you don't expect them to be buying assets that anybody can have).

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III