What do you think we will see in this month's update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: When do you think we will see in this month's update

Postby KidMarine » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:50 am

What the hell is taking so long? I have half a mind to complain on the Internet!

KidMarine has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:15 am

Hah.

Unless someone at Awesome Japan is burning the midnight oil, I guess there's no January update coming.

Although it never hit on the Kickstarter page itself, they could be counting the Jan 1st New Years message as an update. Might be worth keeping an eye out for the next few days just in case something drops early Feb instead. Could mark a shift to updates at the start of the month rather than at the end.

Either way, the update schedule might not be as predictable as it has been previously.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:30 am

I know its Yu, it's Shenmue etc. But looking at it from a neutral angle, hasn't the same thing happened with other Kickstarters. Where the updates changed from a month to 3 months. Even 6 months and a year in the case of MN9?

Peter has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:37 am

Spaghetti wrote: Hah.

Unless someone at Awesome Japan is burning the midnight oil, I guess there's no January update coming.

Although it never hit on the Kickstarter page itself, they could be counting the Jan 1st New Years message as an update. Might be worth keeping an eye out for the next few days just in case something drops early Feb instead. Could mark a shift to updates at the start of the month rather than at the end.

Either way, the update schedule might not be as predictable as it has been previously.

Do you think they would do anything for the 3rd (of Feb?). I'm not trying to generate hype or anything, but if it's out of character, maybe they're bigger plans ahead? Or many YS are just knees deep in focus and AJ never made it a priority for this month.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:48 am

Peter wrote: I know its Yu, it's Shenmue etc. But looking at it from a neutral angle, hasn't the same thing happened with other Kickstarters. Where the updates changed from a month to 3 months. Even 6 months and a year in the case of MN9?

Oh sure. Long periods of silence have punctuated many of the other Kickstarters I've backed, even right from the start of the project.

The Shenmue III project has been a lot better about getting information to backers regularly, even if sometimes we have to endure low-info content about the game itself. Yu said in the August 2015 update he wants to update once a month, but maybe the development schedule can't really support that promise anymore.

If they're transitioning to that kind of updating style a bit of warning might have been nice, but for the moment this might just be a blip on an otherwise pretty regular and reliable update pattern. Something might drop before the end of the week. If not, then we wait for MAGIC, and if not there, the end of the month again.

FlagshipFighter wrote:Do you think they would do anything for the 3rd (of Feb?). I'm not trying to generate hype or anything, but if it's out of character, maybe they're bigger plans ahead? Or many YS are just knees deep in focus and AJ never made it a priority for this month.

I'm certainly going to be keeping an eye out for the rest of the week.

In terms of something bigger, anything is possible, but there's no direct evidence to support a specific idea about what's coming other than Yu saying he wants to show video early this year. With mo-cap and voice over sessions beginning, a taste of a cutscene being built would make for a great update; but that's just my personal speculation. It'd be worth waiting a bit longer for, at least.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:51 am

Peter wrote: I knowit Yu, it's Shenmue etc. But looking at it from a neutral angle, hasn't the same thing happened with other Kickstarters. Where the updates changed from a month to 3 months. Even 6 months and a year in the case of MN9?

Salient point, every other kickstarter/crowd funded campaign I've done have always had off-periods (and it's usually fine). I mean, it's undesirable from a community perspective, especially as large as one that Shenmue 3 managed to attain in terms of support. One thing I will say is that of all the ones that I've backed, I did appreciate how Double Fine were transparent with things like development difficulties and just messaged to say 'hey, we're busy atm, give us some time etc' even though soem of their business decisions were questionable to say the least and personally I found the journey (monthly documentary vlogs) to Broken Age to be better than the end product (which I still haven't finished).

Broken Sword 5 did a similar thing, and had quite a few quiet periods, but imo the end product release ended up being well worth it, as they managed to deliver a great instalment that the series hadn't seen for 10+ years.

I think YS/AJ may already know this but imo I don't think nothing bad can come from dropping us a sentence or two on what to expect, unless (again) they're knee's deep or planning for something big ahead.

P.S. Oh Peter now you got me thinking of that moment in BS1 where they go to Ireland xD https://youtu.be/yCJ2BTtBWv8?t=5s
Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby iyapol » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:52 am

Spaghetti wrote:Unless someone at Awesome Japan is burning the midnight oil, I guess there's no January update coming.

This.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby khmlight3 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:54 am

I contacted YS Net and ask them where is the update. When I know I will tell you guys!
khmlight3
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:05 am

FYI, the you know what just auto-generated a folder for February. Doesn't really mean anything in particular, though.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:09 am

Yea it was an auto register at midnight in Tokyo.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:14 am

I guess we have to come back tomorrow to find out.

The true Shenmue experience!

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:44 am

Do you know if the auto-generated folder creates that folder each first day of the month? If this is correct, maybe it does not mean nothing.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:07 pm

Just for some light-hearted fun here:

FlagshipFighter has received 2 thanks from: Jibby, Spaghetti
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:10 pm

The update will come eventually.
I still hope we will get something during Magic Monaco.

The latest comments from Yu itself clearly indicate new videos should/may come soon.

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Spaghetti
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby iyapol » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:39 pm

My money's on an update not being ready today and we'll see one in the next day or two.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III