ROFS/CVM to iso converter

(Modding and other series related projects)

ROFS/CVM to iso converter

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:39 pm

Simple tool i made to convert ROFS images to ISO images.

This works fine for all unencrypted ROFS files, the resulting iso can simply be mounted in daemon tools or be burned to CD/DVD.

I originally intended to do this to convert the CVM files found in many PS2 games. The CVM files are actually just ROFS images.

Well it works fine for example on Roommania # 203, but most newer games like Yakuza 2 have encrypted ROFS files - these will produce an invalid iso with this tool.

It also works for most firmware that comes in ROFS format.

So happy hacking! [:)]

http://www.tankraider.com/userup/1259801960.zip
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby TechnoWizard » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:47 pm

This is a great software for converting .cvm to .iso(personal experience);
I can now view more contents of a wii game that uses it by converting the cvm file into iso and opening it in winrar. Thanks for creating this program! ;)
TechnoWizard
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Master Kyodai » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:40 am

Moved to modding forum as this is not directly connected to Shenmue but rather a modding topic.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: ROFS/CVM to iso converter

Postby mecanito » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi, I'm wondering if you guys know how to repack it back from .iso to .CVM to get a working file. I'm trying to change the music from "Haunting Grounds". If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks!
mecanito
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sappharad » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Funny to see this bumped. I wrote a command-line tool called cvm2iso back in 2005.
http://projects.sappharad.com/tools/cvm2iso.zip
It's probably shit compared to the one Master Kyodai posted, because looking at the included source code now I notice that the way it's copying the data is not chunked into sectors which is bad for performance. Although back in 2005 I wouldn't have known that.

mecanito wrote: Hi, I'm wondering if you guys know how to repack it back from .iso to .CVM to get a working file. I'm trying to change the music from "Haunting Grounds". If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks!

A CVM is just an ISO with an additional 0x1800 byte header at the beginning.

If you're using a tool that does non-destructive modifications to the ISO, copy the first 0x1800 bytes from the original .CVM and insert them before the start of your modified .ISO using a Hex editor or something. I don't remember if any of the additional information in the .CVM header is used for validation purposes, but if it's not that should work.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby IlDucci » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:00 am

mecanito wrote: Hi, I'm wondering if you guys know how to repack it back from .iso to .CVM to get a working file. I'm trying to change the music from "Haunting Grounds". If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks!

You might wanna see this: https://app.box.com/v/cvmtool

It's a CVM->ISO->CVM toolset. Though, personally, I'd love to see someone skipping the ISO step and making a CVM->Extracted files->CVM.
IlDucci
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Return to Community Projects