Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:25 pm

FYI Yakuza 0 is now $19.99 at GameStop and Best Buy, I think the retail price has gone down with Y0 recently being made a Playstation Hits Title so other retailers should follow suit soon. I finally bought a copy today. 8)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:53 am

^Yeah. I was really surprised to see Yakuza 0 as a Playstation Hit title.. That's one hell of a comeback story for the series, and hopefully you won't be the only one tempted to give it a go. I got mine for 30 just a little over 2 weeks ago, then they announced that, and now even on the PSN you can get it for 15 ... I missed out on a great deal but as I'm still at chapter 2, I'm sure the euros(dollars) to gametime ratio won't be that much different in the end hehe

I was also surprised to see Kiwami 2 is slated for late August already, for some reason I was expecting it for later in the year
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:40 am

Kiwami 1 is also on the PSN Playstation Hits section of the PS Store. Seems Yakuza 0 lit a fire under the market and everyone is getting on board now, bout time.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby xatruio » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Quick generic chime in:

Favorite title of the series thus far is Yakuza 2. My 6th gen bias makes me prefer playing the originals on my fat PS3, but absolutely love the Kiwami remakes. Will eventually grab them to support the series for my collection.

Currently about half way thru Yakuza 5 and need to save for a PS4 slim, Zero and Y6. Hyped for physical PS4 release of Y5, too! Already have 3/4 discs on PS3, so I'll just keep those and maybe get the PS4 version later on along with the Kiwamis when I'm more flush with cash... unless they're a collection?
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:13 pm

xatruio wrote: Already have 3/4 discs on PS3, so I'll just keep those and maybe get the PS4 version later on along with the Kiwamis when I'm more flush with cash... unless they're a collection?

I wouldn't have thought so judging by the length of time the localisation take. They're releasing separately in Japan.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby xatruio » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:24 pm

Hoping they're also separate in the West, too. Won't be surprised despite the series' comeback since 5 was localized on PSN if it is a collected works.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:14 pm

If they initially charged Kiwami for 30 and Kiwami 2 is looking to be at a higher price, there's no reason to bundle them all together if they can sell them individually, like they're doing in Japan (where Yakuza 5 is only expected to be released late spring next year).

The games are massive anyway and only last-gen a bundle of 3 might devalue them too much.

BTW, any less obvious Shenmue references in Yakuza 0? I've only seen the "You Game" arcade signs on Tahei Blvd..
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Vyse Hazuky wrote:BTW, any less obvious Shenmue references in Yakuza 0? I've only seen the "You Game" arcade signs on Tahei Blvd..

I swear there's an homage to Yu Suzuki in one of Majima's sub stories. He resembles the leader of a cult Majima has to infiltrate. See if you agree when you get to it..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby xatruio » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Vyse Hazuky wrote: If they initially charged Kiwami for 30 and Kiwami 2 is looking to be at a higher price, there's no reason to bundle them all together if they can sell them individually, like they're doing in Japan (where Yakuza 5 is only expected to be released late spring next year).

The games are massive anyway and only last-gen a bundle of 3 might devalue them too much.

BTW, any less obvious Shenmue references in Yakuza 0? I've only seen the "You Game" arcade signs on Tahei Blvd..

I meant bundling 3 through 5 for the PS4. Kiwami will always be stand alone and should. One thing about yakuza I love, even though it is only in spirit: how much Nagoshi reveres Suzuki.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:40 pm

Hopefully later down the line once all the PS4 Yakuzas come out, they release a collection/collections of all of them, maybe Y0 and Kiwami 1 and 2 in one collection and then 3-6 or beyond on another or just one collection with all the PS4 versions much later on would be rad. But one big collection would seem like it would strictly be for collectors and I doubt would leave japan, but since all the main games we know about as of now will be on PS4 some kind of collection wouldnt be hard.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:49 am

Crimson Ryan wrote:
Vyse Hazuky wrote:BTW, any less obvious Shenmue references in Yakuza 0? I've only seen the "You Game" arcade signs on Tahei Blvd..

I swear there's an homage to Yu Suzuki in one of Majima's sub stories. He resembles the leader of a cult Majima has to infiltrate. See if you agree when you get to it..

Eeeehhh... I dunno on that one. The thin mustache, long hair, and lack of a cheek mole negates it in my mind, but I could be wrong. The cult leader definitely reminds me of someone (can't for the life of me put my finger on who, though) but I don't know that I'd point toward Yu Suzuki.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:37 am

OL wrote:
Crimson Ryan wrote:

Eeeehhh... I dunno on that one. The thin mustache, long hair, and lack of a cheek mole negates it in my mind, but I could be wrong. The cult leader definitely reminds me of someone (can't for the life of me put my finger on who, though) but I don't know that I'd point toward Yu Suzuki.

Well, the obvious reference would be Shoko Asahara, the actual doomsday cult leader of the Aum Shinrikyo, who did the sarin gas attacks in the Tokyo subway.

ImageImage

Could be a bit of both! The face and demeanor is Asahara, but the mole and name are more similar to Yu..

The sort of references I was expecting though would be more of .. you know.. some sort of thing that hinted of a shared gameworld, since Yakuza 0 takes place right during Shenmue's timeframe.. Maybe one of those Segatasanshiro posters you'd see near Abe store... or those Shen hua chocolates and crisps, if not one of the stores actually being a Tomato (or just have the jingle).. Just wishful thinking, I know.

Vyse Hazuky has received a thanks from: OL
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 am

Oh, pft, for some reason I completely forgot the guy in the game actually did have a mole. Thought I looked it up to re-check, but I guess I missed it some how.

But yeah, would have been cool to see some hint of a shared world, but strangely the Japanese seem less inclined toward that stuff than westerners seem to be. Nowadays western stuff seems all obsessed with that (Ubisoft hinting at it between their Watch_Dogs, Assassin's, and Far Cry franchises; Bethesda supposedly hinting at something between Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and Starfield; Valve with Half-Life and Portal), but I can't think of too many instances of the Japanese doing it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:51 pm

There are one or two things in Yakuza 0 that might draw a double take from Shenmue fans.

I'm currently playing Yakuza 6. I've been playing the series since its debut on PS2, and it's a thrill to be able to explore parts of Kamurocho in more depth (5 had taken a step back from 4 in that respect). I find myself disappointed by the combat system now though. Whereas in past games I'd have used at least a couple Heat moves per battle, now the need to "activate" Heat mode with a lengthy animation that leaves Kazuma vulnerable means I'm rarely using them at all. As a result, the fights are pretty boring.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Vyse Hazuky
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:57 pm

^Ha ha.. both coincidences I imagine..

Although I do wonder.. will the Shenmue HD have references to Yakuza 0 now? hehe
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming