Hidden Tiger Swallow Style Information

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Hidden Tiger Swallow Style Information

Postby LanDC » Wed May 26, 2004 8:13 am

While browsing through the English version of Shenmue II some more, I've discovered some very interesting unused lines from Ryo in Zhu Yuan Da's room, actually voiced by Corey Marshall. Apparently, he is reading books about the Tiger Swallow Style. I have recorded all of the voices into a super clear 1 minute mp3. Download: http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/planetxbox/shenmuedojo/modclips/hiddenzhuinfo.zip I shall also list the subtitles of the speech below. The speech goes as follows...

Ryo Hazuki wrote: "Looks like a text on moves. It explains moves I've never seen before. What move is this? A move of the Tiger Swallow Style, Zhuanshen Shuanghuquan. A move combination unique to the Tiger Swallow Style. Lan Di knows all these moves. Zhu seems to know a lot about the Tiger Swallow Style, he's done much research on the Tiger Swallow Style. Why did Zhu spend so much effort researching the style?

It's thoroughly explained. Did Zhu write this? It explains about the Tiger Swallow Style. The Tiger Swallow Style is a style derived from Yanqingquan. A combination of Dahuyan and Xiaohuyan. Has strong hand moves, as powerful as a fierce tiger. Feared by the Emperors of the past and thus prohibited. A style prohibited by the Emperor Yanqingquan. The origin of the Tiger Swallow Style seems to be Yanqingquan."

This is very interesting. The part that says "Has strong hand moves, as powerful as a fierce tiger" really makes me think about the Mysterious Scroll found in the Hazuki Dojo. At one point, it reads "strong enough to fell a fierce tiger in one hit." So perhaps the Mysterious Scroll is a move of the Tiger Swallow Style. Perhaps, even the one used to kill Iwao.

It's also interesting how he says "The origin of the Tiger Swallow Style seems to be Yanqingquan." And "A style prohibited by the Emperor Yanqingquan." So Yanqinquan was the creator? Also the one who prohibited it? I wonder why.

Anyway, I want to see everyone's research on this! See what we can come up with!
Last edited by LanDC on Wed May 26, 2004 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby LanDC » Wed May 26, 2004 8:35 am

Everyone remembers the books in Zhu's room right? There are 3 of them but you cannot open them. I am pretty sure these are the contents of the books. There's also unused info from the other book. It's nothing really new though. The when picked up, he says "A lineage of something." There is also other dialouge included... "Lineage of a style. Similar to the lineage in the Wulinshu. Looks like a draft of the Wulinshu. Lineage of the Tiger Swallow Style. Sunming Zhao's name is in here too. Zhu should know something about Sunming Zhao. Zhu was researching the Tiger Swallow Style. Are Lan Di and Sunming Zhao connected?"
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Silas » Wed May 26, 2004 9:21 am

Isn't it more likely cut dialogue from Ryo's reading the Wulinshu?

I wonder if it was cut because it was kinda giving too much away about Lan Di.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Wed May 26, 2004 9:32 am

Interesting find. But I think it's weird that they recorded this for the English version. I mean, it's not in the Japanese version. So why did they even record these lines for the English one? They must've considered putting them there at least... but why?
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby JalceW » Wed May 26, 2004 9:48 am

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, YanQingQuan is the style of Master Chen and Guizhang.

"Zhuanshen Shuanghuquan" could be the name of the move which Lan Di used to kill Iwao. I am by no means certain of this, but the word may have something to do with "turning the body" and a "double tiger fist" or something along those lines.

Excellent work LanDC!
Last edited by JalceW on Wed May 26, 2004 11:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
JalceW
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Silas » Wed May 26, 2004 10:10 am

ys, how do you know they're not in the Japanese version?

My understanding of how the translation was done is that with a dialogue file as vast as the one required by Shenmue, they wouldn't have time to go through and eliminate stuff that didn't make the released version. Presumably the Script File is an absolutely enormous document, which would have been translated as a piece. Every line in it is translated to English. Then the recording consists of reading them out, presumably in character blocks so that the actor doesn't provide an inconsistent voice. Corey Marshall, of course, has FAR FAR more of this stuff to do than any other character or actor. It's simpler to get it all recorded into the pre-designated file names and stick them on the disk than to go back after the final version has been decided upon and say "Don't bother with those lines, they're not going to be included."
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Knuckles » Wed May 26, 2004 10:43 am

Fanzi Quan is apparently the origin of the Yanqing-style Fanzi has many styles and forms. More Info.

http://www.atlantamartialarts.com/styles/fanzi.htm

Note it's Chinese Origin

History of Mizong Quan

Practitioners of Mizong Quan have legends about the birth of their style, in much the same way as other styles do. Confusion can abound because of the length of time these styles exist. Over long periods of time linguistically names change as well as for historical reasons. However the styles’ lineage can be reliably traced back to the middle period of the Qing Dynasty.

nb. Other names for this style are YanQing Quan, Mizong Yi and Nizong Quan. (link: http://www.zhenwei.org/History/HistoryMizongQuan.htm )

Yanquingquan seems to be a style deriven from other styles perhaps making it better or easier to adapt. So perhaps the deadliest form of this is Swallow Tiger.

As for the scrolls maybe the move on the Hazuki scroll is the move that can beat Lan Di with proper form. I can see it now
|
<^v> + X + Y + A + B while holding L in a QTE with one attempt.
Knuckles
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby LanDC » Wed May 26, 2004 10:50 am

No, Silas these are not from the Wulinshu readings.. These are from the books in Zhu's room. It's hard to explain to someone who doesn't mod, but trust me.

YS: I didn't say they weren't in the Japanese version, I don't know for sure.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Silas » Wed May 26, 2004 11:01 am

No, LanDC, I don't mod ... but I am a computer programmer by trade! :P Don't worry, I know where you're coming from, I just didn't read your original post properly. Obviously these files are in a folder or have a name prefix which is associated with Zhu's room and nothing else, I understand.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jiezeru » Wed May 26, 2004 12:22 pm

quality find yet again from landc
Jiezeru
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Gongjue » Wed May 26, 2004 3:20 pm

thats cool. but. i think we probbaly knew all of this information from just playing the 2 games, and as for where it originated. that could be found with the info we already knew a a quick search every one was too lazy to do.

cool find though.

... i know master biahu plays a bigger role in all of this than any one thinks here.
Gongjue
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Virtua » Wed May 26, 2004 3:45 pm

Nice find! I wonder why these lines were removed?
Virtua
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed May 26, 2004 4:20 pm

I also wonder why they were taken away. Maybe they wanted to wait until Ryo's move scroll was translated to find out about that move, presuming it's the same move Ryo was reading about. It's probably the same move Lan Di used to kill Iwao with.

Great find, Lan!
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby b_ren » Wed May 26, 2004 4:51 pm

Enteresting find. Another one of the many wonders of Shenmue.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby - Guizhang Chen - » Wed May 26, 2004 5:02 pm

hmmm........
- Guizhang Chen -
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III